new to docker, can't find my media files in plex

19 minutes ago, acozad1 said:

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 6.43.49 PM.png

You do not have a container path mapped in the volume mapping.

You need something like this:

image.png.7e8479d601554fe603df33caa92ff304.png

Then create a similar mapping for other media types.

Once you have done this, in Plex you would just browse to /movies for the movies library, /tv for TV Shows, etc.

In Plex you will always browse to the container path and not the host path.  The Plex docker has no idea what /mnt/user/Media is (this is an unRAID/host path) until you tell it how to reference that in the container.

Edited by Hoopster
1 minute ago, acozad1 said:

Also that you for your patience on this. I know it must suck to deal with someone like me who doesnt get it.

Here's what my volume mappings look like.  Yours are probably similar.

image.thumb.png.1370ae0c3c8b9294af1753435f04a247.png

Volume mappings can be confusing when you are new to dockers.  I'll admit, I wondered if it would click for you when I saw that you mapped /movies to /config  😀

3 minutes ago, acozad1 said:

Also that you for your patience on this. I know it must suck to deal with someone like me who doesnt get it.

We ALL struggled with this the first time it was introduced. It's not very intuitive, but once the light bulb goes off, you should be good from now on with path mappings. Just remember, the container only sees exactly what you put in the mapping. And when you need 2 different containers to see a file in the same spot, BOTH host and container portions have to be matched in the 2 different containers. If you map /downloads to /mnt/user/downloads in one container, make sure you duplicate that mapping for other containers that need access to that same file. Don't map /downloads to /mnt/user/downloads/torrents in one container and /downloads to /mnt/user/downloads/usenet in another.

24 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Here's what my volume mappings look like.  Yours are probably similar.

image.thumb.png.1370ae0c3c8b9294af1753435f04a247.png

Volume mappings can be confusing when you are new to dockers.  I'll admit, I wondered if it would click for you when I saw that you mapped /movies to /config  😀

I have noticed a lot of people have a separate container for movies, tv shows, music, etc.  Is there a benefit to this I am not seeing?  I ask because I am in the process of moving my media from a Synology box that I was running the Plex package on to the Unraid server I built.  I have my Plex container path /media and host path /mnt/user/media which has subfolders (movies, tv shows, etc).  Just thought I'd ask before I start migrate 23TB of media. Thanks

Thanks everyone for the help. I will take this all in and try it on another docker. Fingers crossed. But know that I have Plex up and running, I am jumping around the house like a little kid. Kinda of the whole reason I am learning this. Any suggestions for apps that could help my Unraid run smoother with Plex? Thanks again to everyone for your help on this. Much appreciated.

7 hours ago, Bentunit said:

I have noticed a lot of people have a separate container for movies, tv shows, music, etc.  Is there a benefit to this I am not seeing?  I ask because I am in the process of moving my media from a Synology box that I was running the Plex package on to the Unraid server I built.  I have my Plex container path /media and host path /mnt/user/media which has subfolders (movies, tv shows, etc).  Just thought I'd ask before I start migrate 23TB of media. Thanks

If you put all your media under one user share, then they will all be managed the same by Unraid. Some people like to have different user share settings for different kinds of media.

11 hours ago, Bentunit said:

Just personal preference.  There is no performance or operational advantage to having separate volume mappings in a docker container or separate shares in the unRAID array organized by media type.

I prefer separate shares in unRAID by media type (top level folder for Movies, Photos, Videos, Music, etc.) and separate Plex container volume mappings (/movies to /mnt/user/Movies, /pictures to /mnt/user/Pictures. etc.) simply for organizational purposes.

I have cloud backups and on-site backup server backups organized by media type and keeping them separate is simply they way I prefer to do it.  It could just as easily be done if the media types are subfolders of one media share.

You could accomplish the same thing in Plex by having just one share for all your media (/mnt/user/media) in unRAID with subfolders for media type.  In the Plex docker container you could then just have one volume mapping for all the media (/media to /mnt/user/media) and then in the Plex server itself browse to /media/{media subfolder} to assign folders to libraries for the different media types as you are currently doing.

Again, there is no advantage to doing it one way or another other than personal preference regarding media organization on the server.

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

Just personal preference.  There is no performance or operational advantage to having separate volume mappings in a docker container or separate shares in the unRAID array organized by media type.

I prefer separate shares in unRAID by media type (top level folder for Movies, Photos, Videos, Music, etc.) and separate Plex container volume mappings (/movies to /mnt/user/Movies, /pictures to /mnt/user/Pictures. etc.) simply for organizational purposes.

I have cloud backups and on-site backup server backups organized by media type and keeping them separate is simply they way I prefer to do it.  It could just as easily be done if the media types are subfolders of one media share.

You could accomplish the same thing in Plex by having just one share for all your media (/mnt/user/media) in unRAID with subfolders for media type.  In the Plex docker container you could then just have one volume mapping for all the media (/media to /mnt/user/media) and then in the Plex server itself browse to /media/{media subfolder} to assign folders to libraries for the different media types as you are currently doing.

Again, there is no advantage to doing it one way or another other than personal preference regarding media organization on the server.

From an organizational standpoint it makes a lot of sense.  Thanks

• 5 months later...