Hard Disk Prices on the Rise?

SSD

I am noticing a rise in the price of HDs from 6-12 months ago. Last year 4Ts (on sale) were in the 130s and 140s (I think there was one Frys in the 120s). Now it seems a good price on the 4Ts is in the 160s, and seeing prices for some drives now well  over 200.

The 6T drives are also going up in price. Although Newegg has the HGSTs for $270 right now, on Amazon they went up from 299 to well over 300.

Is it just me, or are others also feeling the prices are increasing? Is there any good reason?

We have also just come out of the holiday season, so prices for the last 2 months have been really low for some items and they are creeping back up now. 

Have you done any research on any of the tracking sites (i.e. camelcamelcamel.com)?  You are going to have sales here and there, but overall it seems like they have been trending downward. 

I was talking to a sales man last year around May.

That's another time when they drop prices right before people choose to spend on Summer vacations or gear at low prices.

This year I capitalized on Black Friday and Holiday sales. I'm sweeping out all the 1TB and 2TB drives in favor of 4 & 6TBs.

I would suggest setting price alerts and jumping on those if you need drives.

From last July - LINK

Retail price might be trending down, but "smart shopper" price is trending up on my unofficial scale!

As recently as last week this drive was the same price @ $129 w/ free shipping at Frys:  http://slickdeals.net/f/7585622-4tb-hgst-deskstar-coolspin-3-5-internal-hard-drive-129-free-shipping

Right now the 3TB drives seem to be hottest sellers so they have had the most sales.  Until consumer systems start carrying them, or some new technology takes off, I suspect it will be awhile before any significant price drops occur.

Archived