noobie docker setup guide

Quick question, how do I prevent the mover from moving my docker.img off the cache drive? Does it still ignore .files? Should I create a specific file name or folder for the image?

Also, why store all the config files on a user share? Wouldn't that prevent your drives from spinning down?

I'm new to this docker thing so forgive me if I missed something.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quick question, how do I prevent the mover from moving my docker.img off the cache drive? Does it still ignore .files? Should I create a specific file name or folder for the image?

Also, why store all the config files on a user share? Wouldn't that prevent your drives from spinning down?

I'm new to this docker thing so forgive me if I missed something.

Store the docker image under /mnt/cache (no sub folder) and it won't move.

As far as a user share, you can create a share and set the use cache to only.

• 5 weeks later...

A little confused, I just did a fresh install of 6 beta 14 so I have a blank cache drive. So what folders dod I need to create to use docker and what should they be named? I am planning on running plex, own cloud, tonido and a few others. Do I need to make an apps folder and a data folder? In version 14 it doesn't have the window pastiche url. Also how would you handle more than one image since there is not one big repository with all?

• 1 month later...

Thanks Squid. Just about an hour ago I decided to give Binhex's Plex a try, and following the directions here, it went installed without a hitch.

Post a screenshot of your XML screen (ie - click on the words PlexMediaServer).  Also, where it says either "up for xxx hours" or "Exited xx ago," Click on that and post what it says.

I just had more or less the same experience - I got "connection refused" with Needo's plex, but binhex worked. I'm not complaining or anything, just thought I'd mention it.

• 1 month later...

hi all,

how do i go about using images off the docker hub with this version in unraid?

as there pull requests not repos / templates?

You could use Docker Search and XML conversion plugin to create an xml template, and then add it via Add Container on the docker tab.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38879.0

Note that this tool creates an XML file from the information which it can scrape from dockerhub.  You may have to add in additional environment variables, etc from the instructions listed on the container's page

Step 7

under the path section which looks like this.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-16%20at%207.48.44%20PM.png

click in the part where it says /mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver and a folder navigator will open up under it. You want to navigate to the docker folder you made earlier.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-16%20at%207.51.53%20PM.png

Also you can just type in the path if you want, it should be /mnt/user/YOURSHARENAME/docker/apps/plexmediaserver/

The "/apps/plexmediaserver/" part will add the folder, apps in the docker folder and a plexmediaserver folder inside apps.

so click "user" then what ever you named your share, mine is "Automation"

then click on the "docker" folder. After that you want to type in /apps/plexmediaserver/

so basically after all this it should look like this.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-16%20at%208.11.14%20PM.png

Ok first time ever using/setting up Dockers and I'm trying to setup Plex. 

I'm on version 6b15 and this step has me a little confused.  My docker.img file is located at /mnt/cache/docker.img.  I didn't create any user share like it suggests earlier in the guide (I'm confused if that's still something that needs to be done on later versions of unRAID).  What path should I be using for my config?

One thing to note, I'm eventually going to try and move my current Plex database (on a Windows 7 machine) over to this docker and it's pretty large.

Ok first time ever using/setting up Dockers and I'm trying to setup Plex. 

I'm on version 6b15 and this step has me a little confused.  My docker.img file is located at /mnt/cache/docker.img.  I didn't create any user share like it suggests earlier in the guide (I'm confused if that's still something that needs to be done on later versions of unRAID).  What path should I be using for my config?

One thing to note, I'm eventually going to try and move my current Plex database (on a Windows 7 machine) over to this docker and it's pretty large.

I would suggest that you create a user share that is cache only for all of your docker stuff. I think if you put a folder on the root of a disk it creates a share anyways. When you create a share under the "use cache disk" set it to only. Then inside lets call it your "Docker" share put your docker.img there and a folder called configs. You should put your configs in there. I can screen shot how mine is set up if that would help you, just let me know. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Make sure your appdata user share is set to Use cache disk: Only

I would recommend mapping all of those docker's /config to /mnt/cache/appdata, just to be consistent.

Map transmission /downloads to /mnt/user/downloads. Definitely don't want it downloading directly to /mnt/cache or you are going to accidentally create a new user share for every torrent folder.

Map nzbget /data to /mnt/user/downloads just to be consistent.

I don't use couchpotato but it looks OK to me.

I would recommend mapping all of those docker's /config to /mnt/cache/appdata, just to be consistent.

Map transmission /downloads to /mnt/user/downloads. Definitely don't want it downloading directly to /mnt/cache or you are going to accidentally create a new user share for every torrent folder.

/mnt/user/downloads so what about the cache it seems to have created a share and now I don't have space to download
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried it your way and I couldn't get sonar or couchpotato to post process but I switched it to this

1lTzFez.png?1

and couchpotato nzbget plex and sonarr all work properly I just cant get transmission to snatch torrents and cant get headphones to work at all and I convinced that emby is broken

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,also a noob(new) user of unraid and tried this tut to set everything up,didn't work for me yet.

I need some guidnce to set up all and in my country isn't much help in native language.

Here is wat i am aiming at:Dl with sabnzbd to shares called tvshows/movies/music,using the progs sonarr/headphones/couchpotato.

I have 2 cache ssd's for handling the downloads if thats possible?

And after that all has to be moved on the data disk's(array)

Is there an howto to make this magic happen?

Btw i have a pro key to run unraid.

Hope to get some answers

One other thing that might help some people. If you're not already familiar with some particular application, and there is a version available that will run on your PC, try it that way first. After you are familiar with it you will have a lot less to figure out when you try to make it work as an unRAID docker. Most every application I have installed as a docker is one that I had used before on my PC.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is there any easy was to change from one repo to another? i know i saw something in the forums once but cant seem to find it anymore.

Thanks

I just did a migration of my Plex Server stuff from the Limetech repo to the LinuxServer.io repo.

I got tired of waiting for a a version update so I just switched to the LinuxServer.io repo for Plex from the Limetech one since LinuxServer.io keeps theirs up to date.

Here are the steps I took:

[*]Make note of your container mapped custom media path settings if you have them specifically set for PMS (for instance mine map /Media to /mnt/user/Media)

[*]Shutdown the Limetech PMS container, but don't delete it yet

[*]Backup your appdata config for PlexMedia Server (mine was in /mnt/cache/appdata/PlexMediaServer) to another folder for safety

[*]Add the LinuxServer.io Plex container.  It can coexist with the other one temporarily as long as the other one isn't running since they're named differently

[*]Add the mapped media path you had in the Limetech container settings if you had it set there.  It's not there by default in LinuxServer.io (although you could use the /user mapping that it does come with, I prefer a direct reference for isolation)

[*]The LinuxServer.io container will automatically startup after you're done setting it up and saving/apply.  Access the server via the webUI and log in.

[*]Once the new Plex container is up and running after initial wizards, shut that container down again.

[*]With both containers shutdown, copy all the content from /mnt/cache/appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server to /mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server (or whatever old and new Plex paths you have for the appdata stuff)

[*]Once you're done copying all the appdata stuff, startup your new Plex container again.

[*]Access the new Plex server via WebUI or from the Plex.tv site.  Verify all your content, settings, channels, and custom Agents survived the transition, and that you're on the latest 1.0.0.2261 version in the Settings/Server page

[*]When you're satisfied everything survived the transition, you can delete the old Plex Media Server container.

[*]Update any other container paths that refer to your Plex Media Server install (i.e. the logs path for plexpy) since it will be under a new location in appdata

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this great guide, but I was wondering if anyone else is having any problems loading the dashboard on the web player aftter it updated to Version 1.0.0.2261?

This is for needo's Plex Media Server container.

I don't use this version, nor do I particulary use Plex, but a ton of those little weird issues with Plex can be traced back to having its /config folder mapped to /mnt/user/appdata/plex... instead of /mnt/cache/appdata/plex