[SOLVED] Windows 10 and SMB

... I thought the system had hung after I saw that message ... but after a LONG time (over 30 minutes) it finished and did a very long reboot/install process ... and when it was done, Voila!!  It now shows Build 9926.   

So it did indeed (eventually) update to the latest build.    It never showed that it was going to do that update -- it just did it (and had the strange status).

AND ... it then had the same issue everyone's already discussed in this thread -- and adding the key to the registry fixed it !!

Interesting tidbit ... I just did an update check again and it showed one update to do -- a simple update of Windows Defender's definitions.

... so I did that update -- and this is what the status looked like after a couple minutes:

You're looking in the wrong place. You need to use the Modern PC Settings application to get to the preview upgrades, they aren't in the Windows Update section.

Interesting tidbit ... I just did an update check again and it showed one update to do -- a simple update of Windows Defender's definitions.

... so I did that update -- and this is what the status looked like after a couple minutes:

You're looking in the wrong place. You need to use the Modern PC Settings application to get to the preview upgrades, they aren't in the Windows Update section.

Actually they are -- as I noted, it automatically did the update this time to the newest build.    In fact, there's now a setting in Windows Update for "Choose how preview builds are installed" that lets you set it to "Slow" or "Fast"  [This wasn't in the original build] ... this determines whether Windows Update will automatically install every preview build as it's available, or only if your build is older than a certain length of time.  But it's definitely part of Windows Update.  [settings - Update and Recovery - Windows Update]

Just FYI...

I'm running v10.0.9926. I installed it fresh from ISO and it is joined to a domain.  That reg key does NOT exist and I can access all of my unRAID shares.  I'm using a mix of "Public" and "Secure" shares.

Interesting.  I suspect the fact it's in a domain is the key difference here.

Interesting resolution.    I looked at my Windows 10 registry, and it does NOT have that key, but it also doesn't have the problem.    I'm running the Tech Preview, Build 9841, with all updates applied (just confirmed there are no available updates).    ... and have absolutely no problem seeing or accessing my UnRAID servers.

9926 was the version just released.  I was able to repro that on two boxes, so I'm curious to see if you repro it on yours if you upgrade.  I just actually saw the same issue on my win7 box too.  Didn't have time to dig into it but adding a password on the share fixed that box up again.  I feel like SMB shares have been pretty squirly since I upgraded unraid to 5.0.6.  Maybe I'll try to throw my backup back on there and see if it fixes things.

Here are a few test i did today

Unraid version 5.0.6

SMB: Public

Export: Yes

Workgroup: WORKGROUP

local master: yes

Fresh install of 9841 no domain(Workgroup): Was able to hit my server without issue

Fresh install of 9926 no domain(Workgroup): Hit the issue where i needed to add a user account to unraid or add the reg key listed above.

Upgrade from 9841 to 9926 no domain(Workgroup): Hit the issue where i needed to add a user account to unraid or add the reg key listed above.

• 2 weeks later...

Had this problem too - it's because Win10 insists on an authenticated SMB login. You can disable it by creating the following value (a DWORD):

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\AllowInsecureGuestAuth

Set the value to 1 , it should work straight away then.

thanks

this worked for me

just updated to the latest preview and had the same problem

• 2 weeks later...

Those results match mine -- clearly the issue is something that was introduced in the new 9926 build.

I think it's more a security feature than a issue.  MS probably want to lockdown Win10 to avoid the PC connect to insecure Network Shares that can contains anything if it's public accessible

Had this problem too - it's because Win10 insists on an authenticated SMB login. You can disable it by creating the following value (a DWORD):

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\AllowInsecureGuestAuth

Thank you you posting this. It solved my problem as well.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Solved it for me as well - thanks!

• 1 month later...

Been hacking at this for a couple of days...

Finally figured it out. The computer in question had the same username as one on unRaid but different password. Despite it being a public share and no credentials being required it was still using the credentials it had and failing. Took awhile but I won.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have this problem and the answer you provided is very vague.. There is no HKLM|SYSTEM In windows 10 regedit..

So how do i get to what you show above?  I can't fix my problem of windows 10 not seeing my nas4free if i don't know where to go and fix it through someone elses answer..

Thanks

I have this problem and the answer you provided is very vague.. There is no HKLM|SYSTEM In windows 10 regedit.

In Regedit HKLM == HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Hi,

I just switched to Win 10 myself and came across the issue described in this thread.

I tried the solution with the registry but it does not help.

I also disabled any firewall settings.

Is there anything new to this issue? Does someone has a found a different solution maybe.

Hey, mines been working on and off for months now since I installed W10 (piece of ...). Finally came to a head when trying to install the EMBy plugin and it cannot see my drives, or anything on the network.

It won't even let me aim it at the 192.168.0.25 which is where UNRAID is!!

powershell doesn't seem to fix it, neither did the manual regedit....I'm stumped!