any suggestion of SATA contoller for HP Microserver Gen8?

realbum

i am looking for a SATA controller for my Microserver Gen8..

all document i searched talking about HP raid controller only. i believe there will be a SATA controller available.

i'm considering to purchase SATA controller using asm1061. i read an article from @WeeboTech, he looks using one of asm1061.

my question is whether this chipset is the best choice and whether server can be boot up from asm1061 attached SSD..

many thanks in advance!!

I'm not using the AMS1061 on the GEN8, I'm using that on the Gen 7 N54L with success in ESX 5.1

StarTech PEXESAT322I PCI-Express x1 Low Profile Ready SATA III (6.0Gb/s) 2 Int/2 Ext SATA Controller Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816129101

I did purchase an LSI 9207-8e

LSI SAS 9207-8e

http://www.lsi.com/products/host-bus-adapters/pages/lsi-sas-9207-8e.aspx

My goal with this card was to have a maximum expansion of 8 SATA drives at full speed via 2 SAS cables and SAS boxes.

It was dead. I sent it back.

Instead I scored an 4i4e which has 4 internal sata ports and a SAS port for an external unit.

LSI SAS 9212-4i4e

http://www.lsi.com/products/host-bus-adapters/pages/lsi-sas-9217-4i4e.aspx

I think this might serve well as you could have 2 internal drives on the scoondoggy bracket and 4 drives external if needed.

Frankly, I would suggest dumping the requirement of the internal DVD drive.

Use the internal port for the SSD and attach a USB DVD drive when you need it.

Given that,  with the right controller you can expand and support up to 12 drives at full speed.

However, if having the internal DVD accesssible via SATA is important enough to keep it.

I probably would suggest one of the HP cards as it integrates with the iLO environemnt.

servedthehome.com has some discussions on it.

after more research, typical asm1061 PCIe controller is not enough for performance. i choose this for cheap price. but the speed is below sata2 because of PCIe lane.

expensive SATA controller is almost similar price as used P410, P212, i better go for them..

at this time, i will put my SSD on ODD port. ODD will use USB-ODD cable..

thanks!!

after more research, typical asm1061 PCIe controller is not enough for performance. i choose this for cheap price. but the speed is below sata2 because of PCIe lane.

expensive SATA controller is almost similar price as used P410, P212, i better go for them..

at this time, i will put my SSD on ODD port. ODD will use USB-ODD cable..

thanks!!

It's PCIe x1 GEN2 which is 2x the speed of an x1 PCIE slot.

i.E. 512MB/s max, would suffice for one SSD, but probably not two.

However I really think the other controller cards are the way to go if you want to have more then one internal port and the ability for external expansion.

thanks for your kind advice.

as i don't have plan to use Raid but more ports, i decided to go with USB-ODD..

for the test purpose, i ordered one asm1061 controller just now. one internal SSD and one external HDD will be tested.

hope it works well and can be boot from it. :)

thanks again!!!!  ;D

asm1061 SATA3 card has arrived.

installed it in Microserver G8. it works well!

bios recognize it as unknown mass storage controller. i could adjust boot sequence to boot from asm1061.

everything went well.

of course, iLO cannot recognize it thus I.P. cannot be used. except these, all works find!!

thanks!!!!!!!

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead, but I was curious to know if anyone could confirm the compatibility of the LSI 9212-4i SAS controller with the iLo functions of the Gen8 Microserver.   What makes me think that it might is that it is specifically labeled as an HP peripheral (this version removes the external SAS connection that is included on the LSI 9212-4i4e mentioned above).  Here is a listing on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/HP-694504-001-9212-4i-storage-controller/dp/B00BUR2Q4U

Thanks for any/all help.

My Gen 8's are using the internal controller without issue.
I am using ESX 5.1 (HP) with the older mechanism of passing the disks through and unRAID 5(still) 
i.e. I am not passing the whole controller through with DirectPath I/O.
I believe if you want to do that you will need to use the LSI. I tried, failed and moved on.
The server's been up for 2 years without a reboot. 

1 hour ago, WeeboTech said:

My Gen 8's are using the internal controller without issue.
I am using ESX 5.1 (HP) with the older mechanism of passing the disks through and unRAID 5(still) 
i.e. I am not passing the whole controller through with DirectPath I/O.
I believe if you want to do that you will need to use the LSI. I tried, failed and moved on.
The server's been up for 2 years without a reboot. 

Thanks a lot for the confirmation.  Can you let me know how hotter your LSI SAS 9212-4i4e makes your Gen8 and if you use additional cooling with it?

I can't really answer that.
It wasn't enough to trigger any alarms in my apartment. Then again, It's always cool in my apartment. 
I am not using the LSI SAS 8212-4i4e in my gen 8 microserver. I am using the internal 'cougar' controller without issue.
For my larger gen 8 server I am using an LSI SAS controller, however it is the 8 port internal model.

I am using that in pass thru, however it is rarely used.
Last I remember unRAID was having issue with the USB controllers and that was resolved in a later release.

I have not used that particular server for unRAID in a while.
Sorry I can't be much more help. 

9 hours ago, WeeboTech said:

I can't really answer that.
It wasn't enough to trigger any alarms in my apartment. Then again, It's always cool in my apartment. 
I am not using the LSI SAS 8212-4i4e in my gen 8 microserver. I am using the internal 'cougar' controller without issue.
For my larger gen 8 server I am using an LSI SAS controller, however it is the 8 port internal model.

I am using that in pass thru, however it is rarely used.
Last I remember unRAID was having issue with the USB controllers and that was resolved in a later release.

I have not used that particular server for unRAID in a while.
Sorry I can't be much more help. 

No worries.  You were plenty of help.  Thank you.