Replacing data drive, Wrong

Hi,

One of my 3TB drives was showing write errors, so I've removed it and fitted a new 4TB in it's place.

In the web interface, Disk 6 is indicated as Missing, which I would expect.

I can choose the new 4TB drive from the pop down menu for Disk 6, but when I do so the word Missing changes to Wrong.

It seems to be telling me that I can't use the 4TB drive for some reason.

Do I need to do something else to this drive before I can use it as a replacement for a removed data disk ?

Thanks

Unraid v5.0.5 Pro

WebGui v2.2.4

Un-assign the faulty disk ?

Is that the same as selecting 'no device' ?

The array is currently stopped and Disk 6 has selected 'no device' by itself.

The only options next to Disk 6 are 'no device' and the new hard disk.

The old disk 6 is sitting on the desk next to me, I could reinstall it and then un-assign it, but how would this scenario work if disk 6 had completely failed ?

Surely that's the same as what I've done (powered down and physically removed disk 6).

I have the option of starting the array (without protection), but not sure if that will give me more options. Might try that while I see what the forum offers up.

I've started the array.

Now the dashboard reports "Disk 6 Not installed"

There is a new tab which lists Unassigned Devices.

The only device listed here is the new 4TB drive.

There don't appear to be any options to add the 4TB drive into the array (to be expected given that the array is currently running).

I'll try stopping the array to see if any new options are presented.

Seems to take many attempts to unmount the disks before it can stop the array.

I stopped the array and now Disk 6 is listed as 'not installed' and the pop down menu lists 'unassigned' and the new 4TB disk.

I've selected the 4TB disk and now coloured dot indicates blue (new disk, not in array).

Array Operation tab now provides option of 'bring the array online, start Data rebuild then expand file system"

That appears to be what I want.

It looks to me that when the array from powered on from cold it didn't quite understand what had happened (powered off, bad disk removed, new disk fitted), but by starting then stopping the array it's thinking came right and it understood that the new disk could be used to replace the missing disk.

Unraid is now trying to spin up disks, start array, mount disks.

Seems to be paused on mount disks, but I'll give it some time and see what happens.

Did you preclear the new disk?  (I am not sure if that reduces the time to rebuild a replaced  disk or not but it does reduce the possibility of the new disk failing during the rebuild.  Google 'bathtub curve failure rate'  for the reason why.)  In any case, the rebuild will take at least as long as a parity check for  your system. 

I seem to recall that the process (using Dynamix in ver 5.X) can be slowed down by "watching the pot boil".  So close the webGUI and open it to check progress in half hour to an hour. 

Pre-clearing has no bearing on the rebuild time.

At this point, I'd just do the rebuild -- then do a non-correcting parity check afterward to ensure it went well.    It would have been better to have a tested spare available ... but rather than running "at risk" of another failure, I'd just go ahead with the rebuild so you don't lose any data from the failed disk.

Archived