unRAID Server release 4.5-beta5 available

Direct download | Torrent (thanks to WeeboTech)

I have to stop adding stuff & get this next beta out.  This release addresses a number of bugs and some longstanding issues, such as the 'mover' leaving empty directories on the cache disk (this is cleaned up now).  I think every bug listed in the -beta4 thread has been addressed.

In addition, brought back new-and-improved "split level 0" functionality.  I will be posting a more comprehensive write-up on User Shares and Split Level on the web site and wiki soon, but in the meantime here's how it works.  If you explicitly set a share's Split level to 0 (that is, not blank, but actual numeric value 0), then when a new object (file or directory) is created, unRAID will form the set of disks where the parent directory of the object already exists; and, then the actual disk to use from this set will be selected according to the current share allocation method.  (Still subject to included/excluded masks.)

Example, assume you created this folder structure:

disk1/Video/Movies/Action

disk2/Video/Movies/Action

disk3/Video/Sports

Now suppose on the Video user share you create "Movies/Action/Braveheart" folder.  With split level 0, even though the Video share spans disks 1..3, since the parent of "Braveheart" only exists on disks 1 and 2, unRAID will create "Braveheart" folder on either disk 1 or 2, according to allocation method.  If no space is available on disk 1 and 2, then operation will fail.  In this case if you want to add more storage for "Movies/Action" folder, you would have to explicitly create "Movies/Action" on some other disk.

Similarly, if you create "Sports/soccer-2009-05-02.avi", the soccer-2009-05-02.avi file could only be created on disk3.

Along with split0 feature, added also a new allocation method called "Fill up", which will cause disk space to be allocated from the lowest numbered disk provided the amount of free space remaining is greater than "Min free space" (a new share config parameter which also applies to the other allocation methods).  Min free space units are in 1024-byte blocks.

Another feature has to do with the license key file.  Previously unRAID OS looked for this file in the 'config' directory of the Flash - well now it first looks in the root of the Flash (if not there will still look in config directory).  There are two reasons for this change:

1. Now it's much easier to backup/restore/migrate the contents of the 'config' directory.

2. Provide ability to implement dual "raid-1" flashes; that is, you can have two flash devices plugged in and system will mirror config contents from one to the other.  NOTE: this feature is not in yet!!

BTW unRAID looks for first occurance of any file with ".key" extension for license key.

There are still some features I want to get into the 4.5 release, but we may stop here and move on to 5.0 after this beta is tested.

unRAID Server 4.5-beta5 Release Notes
=====================================

Changes from 4.5-beta4 to 4.5-beta5
-----------------------------------

New features:
- Added new share allocation method called "Fill-up".
- Added "Min free space" setting for each share.
- Special handling of split level explictly set to "0".
- The 'mover' will now delete empty directories on the cache disk.
- After looking in the 'config' directory on the Flash for the license key file (for backward compatibility), if not found, unRAID Server OS will look in the root of the Flash.  This allows easier backup/restore of the 'config' directory contents.

Bug fixes:
- Fix wrong 'memtest' in zip file - oops.
- Fix powerdown script.
- Fixed problem where drives would sometimes spin down immediately following spin up.

Other changes:
- Don't store AD adminstrator password, and don't display personal information in the system log.
- Can now use any printable characters in password strings.
- When disabling NCQ don't try to set queue_depth to 1 if it's already set to 0.
- Upgrade ntp from version to 4.2.4p0 to 4.2.4p6.  Also save/restore ntp drift file to/from Flash.
- Upgrade linux kernel to 2.6.29.1
- Support Marvell SAS driver.

Changes from 4.5-beta3 to 4.5-beta4

New features:
- Increased maximum number of array devices from 16 to 20 (Pro only).
- Pressing Power button gracefully shuts down the server.
- Disable NCQ on all disk devices that support NCQ.  This typically results in much better write throughput.  A setting called "Force NCQ disabled [yes/no]" is also available in the Disk section of the Settings page of the System Management Utility to override this new behavior.  That is, if this setting is 'yes', then we force NCQ off; if setting is 'no', we leave NCQ queue_depth as-is, ie, whatever linux driver sets it to.

Bug fixes:
- Fixed syslog rotation problem - syslog was rotated, but then syslogd was not restarted.

Other changes:
- Support SAS (Serially-Attached SCSI).
- Support Initio 162x SATA chipset.
- Support the motherboard speaker (beeping).
- Added 'lm_sensors' package.
- Upgrade Samba to version 3.3.3.
- Upgrade memtest to version 2.11 in release zip file.

Changes from 4.5-beta2 to 4.5-beta3

Known issues:
- The 'reiserfs' file system is built with kernel-option to enable extended attribute support.  This is necessary for Active Directory.  Even if file system is not mounted with extended attributes, reiserfs still seems to create a hidden file called '.reiserfs_priv' in the volume root. This file is harmless and does not appear in any share.

Bug fixes:
- Fixed problem where all Flash files appeared to have Hidden/System/Archive all set.
- Fixed upgrade problem where 'simple security' was not being initialized properly.
- After formatting a new disk, the 'File system type' was not being updated.
- If cache disk present, should allow 'use cache disk' option in creating new share.
- Fixed problem with mover not moving.

Other changes:
- Changed name of samba include file introduced in -beta2 from 'boot/config/smb.extra' to 'boot/config/smb-extra.conf'.
- Upgrade Samba to (patched) version 3.3.2.  The patch is a bug fix that prevented windows client from removing Read-only attribute (previous versions of samba 3.3.x fail with 'Access denied').
- If security model is not Active Directory don't mount the data disks with acl & extended attributes enabled.
- Prevent recording (ie, writing) 'last access time' when directories and files are read on the Flash.
- Added 'lsof' command.
- Include 'Hardware Monitoring' in the linux kernel build along with this device support:
  AMD Athlon64/FX or Opteron temperature sensor
  Intel Core (2) Duo/Solo temperature sensor
  ITE IT87xx and compatibles
  Winbond W83627HF, W83627THF, W83637HF, W83687THF, W83697HF
  Winbond W83627EHF/DHG

Changes from 4.4.2 to 4.5-beta2
-------------------------------

New features:
- Support Active Directory Service (ADS).  This lets an unRAID server join an Active Directory (AD) domain.
- System Management Utility will now use a CSS style sheet file on the Flash (config/style.css) if present.
- May now read syslog directly via browser by referencing 'http://tower/log/syslog' (substitute 'tower' with your server name).  Actually any 'file' in the /var/log directory can be read via 'http://tower/log/file'.
- May now read arbitrary files on disk and user shares via http protocol by referencing URL 'http://tower/share/<diskN>/...' or 'http://tower/share/user/<sharename>/...' (substitute 'tower' with your server name).
- Samba configuration now 'includes' the file on the Flash 'config/smb.extra' if present.  This is included at the end of the 'global' section just before the share definitions.  This may be used to customize the Samba configuration.
- Added control to enable/disable 'mover' logging.

Bug fixes:
- With user mode security enabled, would not accept 'root' share login until password was set at least once.
- Fixed problem in 'mover' script where mover would attempt to move objects in a top-level directory staring with a '.' character.  These would all fail and cause excessive syslog messages.
- Fixed bug in 'logrotate' which would prevent syslog from rotating.

Other changes:
- Part of adding AD support: Removed "User security [enabled/disabled]" control from Shares page, and added "Share security [simple/User Level/Active Directory]" control to Settings page:
  unRAID 'Basic' (free version) supports only 'Simple' share security model;
  unRAID 'Plus' supports 'Simple' and 'User Level' share security models only;
  unRAID 'Pro' supports all share security models ('Simple', 'User Level', and 'Active Directory').
- Removed System Management Utility control for setting SMB ports; this can be done via 'config/smb.extra' if desired.
- Change spin-down logic to account for external programs spinning drives up/down.
- Per user request, added '/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.9'
- Upgraded to linux kernel 2.6.28.4.
- Upgraded to samba 3.3.0.

Upgrade Instructions (Please Read Carefully)
============================================

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2.x 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot

If you are currently running unRAID server 4.0 or 4.1, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot
    syslinux.cfg
    menu.c32
    memtest

This can be done either by plugging the Flash into your PC or, by copying the files to the 'flash' share on your running server.  The server must then be rebooted.

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Referring to the System Management Utility 'Main' page, make a note of each disks's model/serial number; you will need this information later.

2. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.

3. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Properties.  Make sure the volume label is set to "UNRAID" (without the quotes) and click OK.  You do NOT need to format the Flash.

4. Copy the files from the new release to the root of your Flash device.

5. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Eject.  Remove the Flash, install in your server and power-up.

6. After your server has booted up, the System Management Utility 'Main' page will probably show no devices; this is OK, navigate to the 'Devices' page. Using the model/serial number information gathered in step 1, assign each of your hard drives to the correct disk slot.

7. Go back to the 'Main' page and your devices should appear correctly.  You may now Start the array.

If you are installing this release to a new Flash, please refer to instructions on our website at:

http://www.lime-technology.com/wordpress/?page_id=19

What happens if you chose to not over write the files?

disk.cfg

ident.cfg

network.cfg

share.cfg

I am upgrading from 4.5 Beta4.

It boots up. I do see errors of DPO or FUA not supported, and something about HPA failed to read the native address.

But unRAID comes up, and I can access my files, as well as sabnzbd.

What happens if you chose to not over write the files?

disk.cfg

ident.cfg

network.cfg

share.cfg

I am upgrading from 4.5 Beta4.

It boots up. I do see errors of DPO or FUA not supported, and something about HPA failed to read the native address.

But unRAID comes up, and I can access my files, as well as sabnzbd.

That's fine.  You just need to update bzimage and bzroot (and memtest if you want).  Those messages in your system log are typical and nothing to worry about.  What do you have connected as disk19?

I'm still seeing the HDIO_GET_IDENTITY problem with drives on a SAS controller (an LSI SAS3081E-R)...  was this expected to be fixed with this version of the kernel (2.6.29.1)?

Yes.  I'll have to look into this further, but I have no way of testing it  :-\

Torrent Seeded

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=33f70667470877d055abd252537e272cb6148d16

Tom Please update the Original Post with this URL to save some bandwidth.

I think the torrent option should be a standard part of the release.

In checking my account on linuxtracker.org, I've uploaded over 50GB of unRAID Server files in the last few months.

If you are having bandwidth allocation issues, that's 50GB you have not had to contend with directly via your hosting provider.

Something worthwhile to consider.

As with the last few versions, the NTP process is still looking for a connection to the time-servers before it is available

A segment of my 4.5-beta5 syslog follows:

[pre]

May  4 22:44:47 Tower emhttp: shcmd (6): cp /etc/exports- /etc/exports

May  4 22:44:47 Tower ifplugd(eth0)[1392]: Link beat detected.                                       <-- network link detected

May  4 22:44:47 Tower emhttp: shcmd (7): killall -HUP smbd

May  4 22:44:47 Tower emhttp: shcmd ( 8 ): /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd restart | logger

May  4 22:44:48 Tower ntpd_initres[1429]: host name not found: us.pool.ntp.org                <-- ntp daemon looking for us.pool.ntp.org, network not yet established

May  4 22:44:48 Tower ntpd_initres[1429]: couldn't resolve `us.pool.ntp.org', giving up on it

May  4 22:44:48 Tower ifplugd(eth0)[1392]: Executing '/etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.action eth0 up'.  <-- Now the network is being set up, but too late for ntp daemon

May  4 22:44:48 Tower logger: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1:  /sbin/ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:11:11:75:FB:7E

May  4 22:44:48 Tower logger: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1:  /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.100 broadcast 192.168.2.255 netmask 255.255.255.0

May  4 22:44:48 Tower logger: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1:  /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.2.1 metric 1

May  4 22:44:48 Tower ifplugd(eth0)[1392]: Program executed successfully.

[/pre]

I think a call to /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd restart after the network is established might be in order.

Joe L.

Appears not to be working under the same vmware server config that version 4.4.2 did.

Get the boot screen,

Loading bzimage,

Loading bzroot ...... ready,

VM reboots and the process loops over and over.

Would this be something incompatible in the new build or vm config option?

Torrent Seeded

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=33f70667470877d055abd252537e272cb6148d16

In checking my account on linuxtracker.org, I've uploaded over 50GB of unRAID Server files in the last few months.

If you are having bandwidth allocation issues, that's 50GB you have not had to contend with directly via your hosting provider.

I will download it from torrent and will seed it. :)

Along with split0 feature, added also a new allocation method called "Fill up", which will cause disk space to be allocated from the lowest numbered disk provided the amount of free space remaining is greater than "Min free space" (a new share config parameter which also applies to the other allocation methods).

What is the min free space mesurement ? b, Kb, Mb, Gb, Tb ?

Or % of the disk ?

Along with split0 feature, added also a new allocation method called "Fill up", which will cause disk space to be allocated from the lowest numbered disk provided the amount of free space remaining is greater than "Min free space" (a new share config parameter which also applies to the other allocation methods).

Or % of the disk ?

Units are 1024-byte blocks.  So if you set Min free space to 1000 that would be

1000 x 1024 = 1,024,000 bytes.

Torrent Seeded

Thank you for providing this service!  Original post is updated.

Or % of the disk ?

Units are 1024-byte blocks.  So if you set Min free space to 1000 that would be

1000 x 1024 = 1,024,000 bytes.

OK. That's working fine. Thanks. :)

Notes:

1. Drives that have spun down seem to be giving a temperature reading.  Not sure if this is a UI issue... I notice I get a temperature number in unMenu as well (which is different than in unRAID's main menu).

2. The AD account login must still not contain any spaces, otherwise joining the domain will not work.

Also, in case it saves anyone any trouble... upon upgrading from 4.5-beta4 I had to leave the AD domain manually and join again before I could get the permission needed to access the server from my workstation.

Notes:

1. Drives that have spun down seem to be giving a temperature reading.  Not sure if this is a UI issue... I notice I get a temperature number in unMenu as well (which is different than in unRAID's main menu).

Fixed in -beta6.

2. The AD account login must still not contain any spaces, otherwise joining the domain will not work.

Do you mean the login name or the password?

Also, in case it saves anyone any trouble... upon upgrading from 4.5-beta4 I had to leave the AD domain manually and join again before I could get the permission needed to access the server from my workstation.

After upgrading, if you power-off and then power-on the array, does it succeed in automatically being joined?

I got to test beta5 and really like many of the new features over 4.4.2.  In using the lm_sensors package, can more hardware be supported?  I am not able to see temperature readings on anything (P4, Celeron, etc.) but the newest CPU's (Core2).  is it possible to monitor other system temperatures such as the NorthBridge?  How about the ability to show fan speeds or even control them?

As for lm_sensors...

It all depends on your mobo.  With some, you can read and control fan speeds and all manner of other goodies.  With some mobos, you are lucky to get an accurate CPU temp.

If you add a perl package (you can do it temporarily) you can then run sensors-detect to see what sensor drivers you need to add or modprobe.  After that, you won't need perl any more.

You can also then run pwmconfig to test fan controls.

See http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Documentation

Do you mean the login name or the password?

The login name.  I don't know how common that would be, but AD certainly allows logins like "Lindsay Lohan" as opposed to "llohan". (I only used Lindsay as an example because I read today that Facebook kicked her off for not using her real name.  :D )

After upgrading, if you power-off and then power-on the array, does it succeed in automatically being joined?

This seems pretty minor to me... but no.  Or actually what I should say is yes, it is joined; I just couldn't get permission no matter what credentials I input when prompted in Windows Explorer.  I remember this because my upgrade was:

1. Power down beta4, upgrade to beta5, boot up ... and found beta5 was operational and connected to the domain but I couldn't access the shares (permission denied). 

2. I rebooted my workstation and shutdown beta5 (thinking that maybe some invalid credentials might have gotten cached somewhere)... at that point took the opportunity to add my LSI SAS card for testing.

3. When it came up, I still couldn't access the shares (from either Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 - I tested both because I remember way back in beta 2 the latter worked at times when the former didn't). 

4. At that point, I remembered having to join the domain in beta4 when the array configuration was changed, and that's when decided to try leaving the domain and rejoining it and then found everything worked after that. 

• 2 months later...

So, Just to be clear...

If "Min free space units are in 1024-byte blocks" (as stated in the first post of this thread), then if I have a share configured with 2 or more drives with an allocation method of "Fill-Up" and a "Min. free space" of 5368709120, then:

1) The share will continue to place files on the lowest numbered disk(x) until disk(x) has less than 5GB of free space.

2) Then, the share will move to the next higher disk(x) specified as an "Included disk(s)"

3) and, use of a Cache drive will respect these rules.

I'm just asking.

JT