Problems with AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 on unRAID 6b12

Hi All,

I have recently added a Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 SATA expander card but I have been having problems with the connected hard drives which show up in the boot/BIOS screen for the expander card but have issues showing up in unRAID. Based on this post (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35190.0) it appears the problem should have been resolved with kernel version 3.17 which is included as of 6b11h but I'm still having problems.

I can workaround the problem by disabling IOMMU in the BIOS and then everything is fine but the main goal of this current build was to get Xen working, which I did prior to installing the expander. I get the following error for all disks connected to the expander when IOMMU is enabled (the first line only appears for normal unRAID but is missing in Xen/unRAID, the next 2 lines appear in both):

Feb  7 10:44:36 Tower2 kernel: AMD-Vi: Event logged [iNVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST device=00:00.1 address=0x000000fdf8040020 flags=0x0a00]

Feb  7 10:44:36 Tower2 kernel: ata9.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)

Feb  7 10:44:36 Tower2 kernel: ata9.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)

I have tried both the latest firmware for the expander (1812) and the previous version (1808) but the problem exists using both. I tried unRAID 5.0.6 and that worked without issue.

Is anyone else having similar issues or knows why this is still happening? Any help would be appreciated. Syslogs have been attached.

unRAID Version: 6b12

CPU: AMD A8-7600

Motherboard: Asus A88X-PRO

Expander: AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 - currently on 1808 firmware

Thanks

syslogs.zip

lspci.txt

Does the Asus have new BIOS?

It was on the latest BIOS, but checking again there was an updated version just released on the 5th Feb. Its description is for improving stability with a particular CPU. I'll try updating to this latest version and see how things go, though i wont hold my breath...

I have two of these cards and all my HDs are attached to them. I've not had any issues under UnRAID, and have been able to boot into Xen without issue. I had built Xen based VMs on an earlier build, but since everything moved to Docker there is no point to VMs for me, so I have not tested recently.

I spent several months booting into Xen mode due to some hard drive issues.. not had a problem. I am running 1812 firmware.

I don't know what all you have configured, but if you try a virgin setup do you get any different results?

I noticed in your (bkastner) signature that you have an Intel based system. After a bit of checking I worked out that another of my PC's has an Intel based processor/motherboard capable of Vt-d/IOMMU. When I put the Supermicro card into that PC and booted up unRAID the hard drive was detected both times (normal and Xen/unRAID - its the 80GB drive in the logs) but I still had a problem with the on-board Marvel adapter in Xen/unRAID only, to which my 60GB SSD was attached.

At this stage it seems like the problem is linked to the AMD visualization technology as the Intel one seems to work fine. The only other thing I can think to test would be a pre 6b7 version of unRAID as, if I remember correctly, a lot of problems with Marvel based chips had problems from that point on. Unfortunately I don't have a copy to test.

I don't know what all you have configured, but if you try a virgin setup do you get any different results?

I also tried a fresh unRAID USB but that didn't make any difference.

syslog_intel.txt

syslog_intel_xen.txt

The plot thickens...

I downloaded the latest Ubuntu image and booted that up from my usb and I end up getting the exact same error messages, so the problem appears to be related to the current hardware I have installed, possibly the A88X chipset?

Anyway, thanks for your help so far but it looks like I will have to continue searching for an answer... If anyone has any further suggestions they would be most appreciated.

Thanks.