how to transfer files from USB with snap?

mrmarkfr

I have my server running, preclear done, and array started, shares working, I'm happy.

I now have my 2tb USB3 that's visible on the network as a share, and my video share on my server visible, but the only way I've seen to be able to transfer the files is through the network, which is slow. 

Is there a way to transfer the files from the USB drive directly into the share, without to go through the network?

Yes, I've just been through all this, mine were non-array sata disks but same principle.

To copy directly to a specific disk in the array:

cp -av /mnt/disk/SNAP-SHARE-NAME/*  /mnt/diskNUMBER/

or

To copy to a user share

cp -av /mnt/disk/SNAP-SHARE-NAME/*  /mnt/user/SHARENAME/

I think that should do it, execute the commands from terminal, either on your UnRAID box or use Putty from your Desktop/Laptop.

There's a few different ways to do it, but that's the way I used.  Worked alright for me.

EDIT - trurl has posted another method, which thinking about it may well be easier.  If you can't get to the command line in UnRAID (ie - you're using it headless) then I thoroughly recommend Putty for windows, but there is also versions for Linux as well.

I have it working for my first share(1.7Tb), getting s sustained read/write of 60MB/sec, not sure if that's good or not, but it will transfer all the files in about 7 hours.

The next problem that I'm going to run into is my next directory is 2.8Tb, which will have to span multiple drives, which I don't think is an issue for a share, but can i access the share like that through mc, or do I need to access the share via the network, and deal with slower throughput?  I will have sufficient space on the server, just not on 1 drive, it will have to be spanned across multiple drives

Since you are just copying from a disk outside the array to a user share you should be fine. Might want to check your allocation method, split level, and minimum free space for the share to avoid unexpected results.

For future reference I thought you should be aware of this bug. Should not affect you as long as the disk you are copying from is not part of the array, but wanted to make sure you were aware of this in case you decide to do some other moving around.

When I did this copy, I copied the files into the mnt/user/movies, should I have gone to another directory as the destination for the copy?

Allocation Method is high water, split level is automatically split any directory as required, and minimum free space is set as 0Kb.

I will have to move some files around as the source directory has my movies in a directory called "video", and I couldn't see a way to select all the movies in that directory, so I'm copying the whole directory over to the server, and then plan on moving the files out of the "video" directory, and into the parent directory.  Will that bug affect those files?  Should I stop the transfer, and restart it another way?

I cancelled the transfer as I figured out how to select the individual folders, but my question now is should I be copying them into the folder /mnt/disk1/movies, or should I transfer them into the /mnt/user/movies or /mnt/user0/movies?

If you use /mnt/disk1/movies then you are telling unRAID to use just that disk.  Share settings such as allocation method and split level and even what disk(s) the share is allowed to use are ignored and files must fit on that disk.

Using /mnt/user/movies is equivalent to copying them to the 'movies' share over the network and any settings relevant to that share are used such as allocation method, split level and the share can span multiple disks.

The /mnt/user0/movies is a sub-set of /mnt/user/movies that ignores any files that are on the cache disk.  Its would not normally be used by the end-user - its prime purpose for existence is to support the 'mover' process in being able to tell which files need moving from the cache disk to the array disks.

Does that help?