Logs say drive full, but space available

I tried to copy to the array today but it failed and when I went looking I found that my cache drive is full (less space than the file being copied to it).

I tried to "empty" it manually by initiating the mover script but looking at the logs it appears that the cache drive is not emptying because the drives are full.

Feb 14 05:01:23 Tower logger: rsync: open "/mnt/user0/Users/Installs/DropboxInstaller.exe" failed: No space left on device (28)

This is an example of what I am seeing for a whole lot of files.

now the Users share is spread across all my drives and when I run the compute...

Users [browse /mnt/user/Users] General Users Data - Nothing Specific 1.18 TB 461.68 GB

cache: 299.77 GB 9.83 GB

disk1: 524.96 GB 0

disk2: 0 140.61 GB

disk3: 345.35 GB 0

disk4: 8.24 GB 321.07 GB

You can see that some drives are full completely with nothing left while others have ample space (140GB + 321GB)

The cache drive is only 400GB and it has files for other shares on the same drives.

How do I fix this so that I can empty the cache drive and copy files to the server again.

Unraid v5.0beta12a

(please dont say "just upgrade" - time is against me and if I could have upgraded I would have by now.  I do not know linux and every step is tedious as I (re)learn what I have to do)

If the Split level on Users is 1, then any folder (and its contents) under that is constrained to the disk on which it is first created.  This is almost certainly why you are having problems.

BTW - As long as you are not using Simple Features (which is incompatible with v5 final) the upgrade to v5 final (5.06) from beta 12a does not require any Linux knowledge.  It is just a case of going to the Flash share; replacing the files 'bzroot' and 'bzimage' with the final versions; and rebooting.  Only takes a couple of minutes.

Thank you

Did not realize upgrading was so easy.

So with the Movies share, I have a split level of 2, as there is a folder HD & SD under the root of the share.

This means they can be split across any of the allowed drives, but they are not going to drives that have free space.

I suspect that I have the min free space too low (500,000 - 500 meg) which is allowing folders to be created on them and then large HD files are "stuck" not being able to go any where else.

Does this make sense?

To fix this I should up the min free space to say 25Gb to prevent this from happening.

I assume that this is what is causing the issues with my users share as well.  Even though it is at 1 and available to all disks, the min free is too low and thus the folders are created on a disk with low space and then they are "stuck" there.

To initially fix this, can I manually move files around from disk1 to disk 2 where there is free space available.

Simple features was remove (regretfully - it was a nice add-on) so I will give the upgrade a go.

Mick

So with the Movies share, I have a split level of 2, as there is a folder HD & SD under the root of the share.

This means they can be split across any of the allowed drives, but they are not going to drives that have free space.

That means that the HD ans SD folders can span drives.  However as soon as you create a sub-folder under those folders they (and any contents) will be constrained to the drive in which they are first created.

I suspect that I have the min free space too low (500,000 - 500 meg) which is allowing folders to be created on them and then large HD files are "stuck" not being able to go any where else

Does this make sense?

To fix this I should up the min free space to say 25Gb to prevent this from happening..

This is possible.    You want the Min Free Space to be at least as large as the largest file that is likely to be copied as it is only checked before starting a file copy.

assume that this is what is causing the issues with my users share as well.  Even though it is at 1 and available to all disks, the min free is too low and thus the folders are created on a disk with low space and then they are "stuck" there.

It is possible, or may be that Split level 1 is too low?  In the example you originally gave the file was going to users/installs, and with a split level of 1 the Installs folder cannot be split across drives.

To initially fix this, can I manually move files around from disk1 to disk 2 where there is free space available.

Yes - if you are manually moving files between disks then values such as split levels, allocation method and min free space are ignored.

The one caveat is make sure you are doing this between disk shares as both source and target.  Do not mix disk level shares and user level shares in the same copy command or the system can get confused and you can end up with data loss.

Simple features was remove (regretfully - it was a nice add-on) so I will give the upgrade a go.

If you like Simple features then after doing the upgrade you might want to look into installing Dynamix which superseded it and is compatible with v5 final (Dynamix is also now the default GUI for v6).