My SSD cache drive is xfs, should I change it to BTRFS?

al_uk

I have a 500GB cache drive which contains my XEN vms and Docker image. Should I change it to BTRFS. If so, then is the process as follows?

Stop all VMs

Stop all Dockers

Copy cache drive contents to array disk

Stop array

Unassign cache drive

Format cache drive *How do I get Unraid to recognise this drive as new and then let me format as BTRFS?

Reassign cache drive -

Start array

Copy cache drive conents from array disk

Stop array

Start array for Docker and VM to restart

I am running b12

Cheers

You process is not quite right!  After stopping the array, do not unassign the drive but instead click on the drive and change the format to btrfs.  On restarting the array you will be offered the option to reformat it.  Note that you will lose all the current contents if you go through this route so make sure you are ready for that to happen.

Perhaps more relevant is why do you actually want to change the format to BTRFS?  The main reason I can think of is because you want to use drive pooling which is not available for XFS.  If you do not want that then I would suggest sticking with XFS as it more stable.

I have my cache drive as XFS because it seems to be a more mature filesystem. I have not seen people report drive filesystem corruptions on XFS but have seen multiple folks reporting BTRFS corruption issues. But its up to you.

Depending on your SSD you might not need explicit fstrim, as most will run garbage collection cycles when there is low activity.

Data on my BTRFS cache keeps getting corrupted. I'm switching it to XFS right now.

Data on my BTRFS cache keeps getting corrupted. I'm switching it to XFS right now.

I also had my BTRFS drive become corrupt. Been in XFS for the last 2 months and very happy I switched.

Been using a 3 drive btrfs array for many months now and no corruption.

The first time I changed drives and slots due to seeing csumerrors. I started getting 100's of these again and two of my Mariadb tables were unreadable due to them being corrupted.

Feb 15 05:27:50 MediaServer kernel: BTRFS info (device sdf1): csum failed ino 173885 off 7553024 csum 1736272833 expected csum 2004874111

I also had my BTRFS drive become corrupt. Been in XFS for the last 2 months and very happy I switched.

Array and/or cache drive with dockers?

If I remember correctly BTRFS cache with dockers has issues with corruption.

Array and cache. The docker corruption issues happen inside the loop back image, not on the parent filesystem.

And worth noting this is fixed in the next release.

Array and cache. The docker corruption issues happen inside the loop back image, not on the parent filesystem.

Which I'm sure will be released soon.

Which I'm sure will be released soon.

It will. Yes.

• 5 months later...

Don't you have the option of setting up a redundant self correcting array when using BTRFS?

The short answer is yes. The long answer is I'm not exactly sure how this functionality works yet, and some people have had problems getting the BTRFS array to balance after a drive fails.

I wonder what it is causing BTRFS problems, becuase it seems that this isn't as ioslated as I originally thought.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to unRAID, and was really glad to find this thread and learn I'm not the only one experiencing inexplicable BTRFS pool corruption.  I've switched to a single XFS drive for the cache and it's been stable so far.

I was originally using two 1TB SSDs which would work fine for a day or three until the logs suddenly started spamming BTRFS errors and the cache pool would eventually report unmountable.  After troubleshooting everything else in the chain and rebuilding multiple times, I'm glad to finally have a possible fix, even if it means a little less redundancy.

One hint: you have to set your cache device count to 1 before it will let you choose a different disk format.  Took me too long to figure that out!

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm just revisiting this thread after upgrading to 6.1.6.

Is the advice still to stick with single cache and xfs with manual backups? I've run out of space on my 500GB SSD, so I'm considering upgrading to dual 1TB SSDs in a cache pool.

I read some threads saying that it wasn't clear how to recover and rebuild from a drive failure in a pool.

• 2 months later...

Well my BTRFS cache drive went tits up out of nowhere this afternoon. Ashamedly no backup of my docker apps or virtual machines. Wish the mentioned fix would have prevented this huge pain in my neck.

Going XFS this time around.