Creating a share for a VM drive

I have my system booting from a vm disk and it mounts as /mnt/vmdk.

I want to make it visible via samba like the flash and every other drive (I need to copy the latest version to it for an upgrade)

I tried editing /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf but upon reboot the drive was not visible in window explorer and the addition to the file was gone.

So I have obviously missed something simple, but my linux is poor (and that being generous).

What do I have to do to make the folder /mnt/vmdk visible via samba?

Thanks

Mick

I have my system booting from a vm disk and it mounts as /mnt/vmdk.

I want to make it visible via samba like the flash and every other drive (I need to copy the latest version to it for an upgrade)

I tried editing /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf but upon reboot the drive was not visible in window explorer and the addition to the file was gone.

So I have obviously missed something simple, but my linux is poor (and that being generous).

What do I have to do to make the folder /mnt/vmdk visible via samba?

Thanks

Mick

Are you running unRAID virtualized? Or are you wanting to create a share in unRAID for a disk mounted outside the array.

I often plug in drives that I need to share across my network. This approach has worked great for me.

On my cache drive I have a share which is set to cache only (meaning the unRaid mover ignores it). I call it NAS. It's a permanent share that I use to easily share files around my network.

Whenever I need access to a drive outside the array I make a subfolder in NAS.

Mounting the drives partition to that subfolder in NAS will make the files instantly accessible across the network.

First you need to know where unRaid sees your hard drive. Plug it in and click the Unassigned Devices tab from the unRaid menu (if you have the Dynamix plugin).

Find your drive listed, for example: sdc

If you don't have Dynamix you can list all your drives and identify which one you want using the unRaid console command:

fdisk -l |more  (that's a lowercase -L)

Next make a subfolder on your cache drive where you want the files to show. For example: NAS/myfiles

Since drives can have multiple partitions you need to know which one to mount with your files. At the unRaid console type:

fdisk -l /dev/sdc  (or whatever drive Unassigned Devices showed)

That will list your drives partitions. Now mount the partition containing your files:

mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/cache/NAS/myfiles

This example assumes you are accessing files on partition 1 of the sdc device, yours could likely be different.

All your files will now be accessible via the cache drive share.

When you are done and want to unplug the drive enter this at the console:

umount /dev/sdc1  (Note: That's umount not unmount!)

Thanks

Just for clarification, I boot from a virtualised disk, in the go file it gets mounted

mount -L BOOT /mnt/vmdk

This prevents the above method from working for me "/dev/sda already mounted"

Just like flash has a share for windows to access, I want to create one [permanent] for the mounted drive above (BOOT).