unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta13-x86_64 Available

limetech

IMPORTANT NOTICES REGARDING BETA13:

There is an issue in this release that affects those using a cache disk where you partitioned/formatted the disk outside of the normal practice of using the unRaid webGui to do so.  We will be releasing -beta14 soon that addresses this issue.  While this won't affect probably the majority of unRaid-6 users, for now, we are taking down -beta13.

• After upgrading to -beta13 if your cache disk now appears 'unformatted', please do not run file system check or scrub, or reformat.  Instead please capture the system log without rebooting and post here.  Probably what's happening is this: those who experience this issue have probably manually partitioned their cache disk, or perhaps partitioned and built file system on some other linux distro.  I need to know if this is the case before implementing a fix.
  • Some have reported that updating from the webGui requires clicking the update twice for it to take affect.

Disclaimer: This is beta software.  While every effort has been made to ensure no data loss, use at your own risk!

Sorry for the long delay between this release and previous beta.  Quite a lot has been going on and hopefully we should be able to get releases out there more rapidly.  We are near the end of the -beta period for unRaid-6 and we anticipate a very short -rc period to follow before finally releasing 6.0.

The primary bug fix here has to do with the docker image file stored in the btrfs cache pool.  In btrfs, by default, all files are created with so-called Copy-On-Write (COW) semantics enabled.  This causes problems when trying to update the image file if the underlying btrfs file system fills up.  To solve this we now set the "No-COW" bit on new docker image files when they are created.  Unfortunately the No-COW bit is only effective for newly created files.  If your cache disk/pool tends to get close to full capacity, we recommend that you create a new docker image file and re-create your containers.

Please also refer to this important announcement regarding the unregistered (free) version of unRAID Server OS.

Note: There are upgrade instructions in the readme.txt file contained in the release (which are the same as previous releases).  A recommendation not in the upgrade instructions is to please clear your browser cache before connecting to a new unRAID OS release (or new dynamix webGui release).

Summary of changes from 6.0-beta12 to 6.0-beta13
------------------------------------------------
- btrfs-progs: update to 3.18.2
- docker: set COW flag when creating new docker vdisk image (rc.docker).
- docker: update to 1.4.1
- emhttp: support Basic key type, other key changes
- libvirt: update to 1.2.12
- libvirt-python: update to 1.2.12
- linux: added drivers:
  CONFIG_DM_CRYPT: Crypt target support
  CONFIG_SENSORS_JC42: JEDEC JC42.4 compliant memory module temperature sensors
  CONFIG_USB_RTL8152: support for Realtek RTL8152/RTL8153 based USB 2.0/3.0 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapters.
  CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NBD: Network block device support
- linux: change cpufreq drivers from built-in to module
- linux: apply patch to fix Haswell cpu freqency scaling in intel_pstate driver
- linux: update to 3.18.5
- netatalk: update to 3.1.7
- php: added sqlite3 support
- qemu: update to 2.2.0
- rsyslog: update to 8.6.0
- slack: added apcupsd package
- slack: added cryptsetup package
- slack: added cpufrequtils package
- slack: added traceroute package
- slackware Security Avisory updates:
  glibc-2.17-x86_64-10
  ntp-4.2.8
  openssl-1.0.1k
  php: 5.4.36
  samba: 4.1.16
- slack: update htop to 1.0.3
- slack: move /var/log to a tmpfs after mtab recreated in rc.S
- syslinux: added missing file /boot/syslinux/libcom32.c32 needed by mboot when the Xen options are used.
- webGui: update dynamix to 2015.02.15

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks again for all your hard work on this.  I tried to update with the plugins system and got this...

/usr/local/sbin/plugin update unRAIDServer.plg 2>&1
plugin: running: 'anonymous'
invalid install: deleting /boot/config/plugins/unRAIDServer.plg
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 1

It still shows I need to update.

I have a KVM (Windows 8) VM running at this time, in case that might be part of the reason the update failed.)

Manually updated. Everything went fine however one of my drives is now showing a red thumb down on the dashboard due to a single reallocated sector. I don't really understand that because I didn't write anything new to it, and it was definitely green thumb up before I upgraded.

Maybe something was changed with the "Dashboard" SMART checking? I'm not really sure why a single reallocated sector should result in a down arrow. The drive itself says "SMART overall-health : PASSED". Might want to increase the threshold.

Any chance this new version supports the complete destruction of an unwanted docker image? I don't see a way to do so (I delete the image/format my cache drive etc, and the .img file just reappears on reboot). I was hoping the next release would support this...

JonP mentions it's on the list for future functionality

Thanks!

DB

Not in this release.  You can delete the image off your cache drive by making the cache device SMB exportable.  Then you can browse to the cache device as a share on the network and you will see the docker image there.  Delete it using SMB works fine for now.

Not in this release.  You can delete the image off your cache drive by making the cache device SMB exportable.  Then you can browse to the cache device as a share on the network and you will see the docker image there.  Delete it using SMB works fine for now.

Is this new for beta13? I'm pretty sure I would have deleted over a network share on beta12, yet it still came back...

Thanks for the update. I was really hoping for an update to Xen! Will you guys be updating Xen in the next beta or RC?

Gary

Probably not.  We have not had an opportunity to properly test out 4.5.  There are supposedly a large number of changes that could affect existing configurations, so without proper testing against that, we wouldn't feel comfortable putting out a release.  An upgrade to the Xen version would be something for consideration for 6.1, not 6.0.

Thanks for the update. I was really hoping for an update to Xen! Will you guys be updating Xen in the next beta or RC?

Gary

Probably not.  We have not had an opportunity to properly test out 4.5.  There are supposedly a large number of changes that could affect existing configurations, so without proper testing against that, we wouldn't feel comfortable putting out a release.  An upgrade to the Xen version would be something for consideration for 6.1, not 6.0.

Ok. I understand and realize that it isn't just a matter of updating some files. I see there is some updates to QEMU and that might help with KVM and some stability issues I've had. Or maybe not. Who knows.

I'll play around with it more and see what happens. I haven't spent a whole lot of time with it because Xen works so well.

Gary

Gary

Ok. I understand and realize that it isn't just a matter of updating some files. I see there is some updates to QEMU and that might help with KVM and some stability issues I've had. Or maybe not. Who knows.

I'll play around with it more and see what happens. I haven't spent a whole lot of time with it because Xen works so well.

Gary

Yes there has been a lot of emphasis on qemu and KVM support. Xen support isn't going away, but had a period of time where the upstream really just wasn't providing anything. Libvirt and qemu, however, have been getting fantastic support and rapid advancement.

More on this soon.

It is worth pointing out that whilst the OP says this is primarily a bug fix release to fix docker images, FAR more important is that it close 1-2 serious docker security holes.

This should be marked as a critical security release.

Also we need to include instructions how to recover from existing corrupt docker IMG files (which i suspect a high percentage of users have).

nice work

Updated to b13 via webui. Rebooted.

Now my cache drive shows up as unformatted (it's a 250gb ssd with xfs). It has all my xen vms on there so am a bit stuck.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Just noticed this is the second similar report already - suggest holding off on applying this update until we see some kind of limetech response.....

Updated without any hitches, it was a little disconcerting to see all my dockers come up blue and needing update.

"updating" them didn't pull any data though and everything restarted ok.

Yes there were some changes to how repos are handled (thanks gfjardim!) and so this one-time experience will get things synced up, but shouldn't require an actual download if your apps are current.

Updated to b13 via webui. Rebooted.

Now my cache drive shows up as unformatted (it's a 250gb ssd with xfs). It has all my xen vms on there so am a bit stuck.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Just noticed this is the second similar report already - suggest holding off on applying this update until we see some kind of limetech response.....

Meep, when you have the array stopped, if you click the device, what filesystem do you have assigned there?

apcupsd might be included but with no way to configure it from the webgui it's useless compared to dlandon's plugin.

Kevin.

I've made changes to the apcupsd plugin so it will work with 6b13.  Will release soon.

Basically, the apcupsd package is now included in 6b13 and the plugin does not need to download and install it.  LT will eventually include the apcupsd plugin so the plugin will no longer be required.