unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta13-x86_64 Available

limetech

Any particular reason why the b13 version is missing from the downloads section?

It was removed, because depending upon how your cache drive's partitioning was originally set up it could wind up being unformatted with b13.  It's all in this thread .  The issue didn't affect me so I'm still running it.

That problem aside, I think its a great release.  I would think that b14 will be out shortly to address the issue.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Squid.  I only use the cache drive for storing my config directories.  I have movies and shows set to decompress there.  It's on a SSD so it does all this much faster and then moves it to perm storage.  Hopefully that won't affect me much.

Edit: I should also state that I formatted all disks including the cache disk as btrfs before putting any data on them.

Thanks Squid.  I only use the cache drive for storing my config directories.  I have movies and shows set to decompress there.  It's on a SSD so it does all this much faster and then moves it to perm storage.  Hopefully that won't affect me much.

Edit: I should also state that I formatted all disks including the cache disk as btrfs before putting any data on them.

The way that I understand it is that if you did anything other than just putting the drive in, selecting BTRFS/XFS/REISERFS and clicking format via the GUI you're going to be vulnerable.  This includes if you followed the the directions on the BTRFS quick start guide.

At this point, unless you are 100% sure you are not going to be affected by the b13 issue you should just wait for b14. Why risk the cache drive issue if you don't need to? It's not like b12 is on a countdown and will explode if you don't get off it in the next 24 hours. A bit more patience seems like a better course than having to post another "opps, me too" entry in this thread.

Since b13 was pulled from the download site I am not clear why you can still upgrade via the GUI. You would think it would make sense to remove this feature as well for those who don't read 10+ pages of a thread befor hitting 'Update'.

At this point, unless you are 100% sure you are not going to be affected by the b13 issue you should just wait for b14....

You make a fair point. If it was me i would be pulling b13 as more bug reports on it are pretty much meanigless at this point and only serve to catch more users with issues.

This release has been a disaster, I am getting constant kernel crashes @ btrfs, docker is pinned to 100% cpu. :(

Really, I know its a beta but this is extremely dangerous for your live cluster.  Stick with beta-12!  This one is 'alpha' quality at best.

Attempting to downgrade now.

I have lost the WebGUI for the third time since I upgraded from beta10a. I have still access to my shares. My only docker is still running. It is located on a BTRFS formatted cache drive. I don't use a cache pool.

But losing the GUI is very annoying.

Are there ways to see what is going on on the server?

I have lost the WebGUI for the third time since I upgraded from beta10a. I have still access to my shares. My only docker is still running. It is located on a BTRFS formatted cache drive. I don't use a cache pool.

But losing the GUI is very annoying.

Are there ways to see what is going on on the server?

If you still have telnet/ssh access, then you could try running a command like
tail -n 1000 -f /var/log/syslog

the value after -n is simply the maximum number of lines to display when starting the tail - what makes sense depends on how many lines your ssh client can buffer that you can then scroll back through.    The output of the tail command could also be redirected to a file on the flash if you want a permanent record of the output.

This release has been a disaster, I am getting constant kernel crashes @ btrfs, docker is pinned to 100% cpu. :(

From my experience, I would say that this release has been pretty good.  It has already been advised that btrfs is not as mature and well exercised as some other file systems.  All my drives are formatted as xfs.

Obviously, there is one acknowledged problem for some cache drives which have been formatted/initialised outside of the unRAID interface, but I was, happily, not affected by that.

I have five dockers running withoout any apparent problem.  System uptime is currently over two days and five hours - I just puzzled why we haven't had a single  power cut in all that time!

... i would be pulling b13 as more bug reports on it are pretty much meanigless at this point and only serve to catch more users with issues.

It was already pulled several days ago -- Tom is actively working on B14.

... but the B13 download hasn't been available for several days now.

It is still available for installation in the webgui... Should be removed from there also.

Something ugly going on here in beta13.

I updated yesterday or Tuesday from beta10 using the github link in the beta12 thread. The server came back with beta13.

Now everytime when I look in Dashboard, Tools, Shares or other tabs and I go back to the main tab I have lost connection to the GUI.

I also see no Icons in Settings or tools just text.

I think I go back to beta12 in the old fashioned way by stopping the array and copying the beta12 files to the flash drive. I have to powerdown -r first though cause the GUI is gone.

Really, I know its a beta but this is extremely dangerous for your live cluster.  Stick with beta-12!  This one is 'alpha' quality at best.

Attempting to downgrade now.

I don't think posts like this one are fair. LimeTech has a limited testbed of hardware and array configurations. They do an awesome job of testing before releasing a beta. The beta program is their opportunity to get a release to a larger community to ... FIND BUGS. If we find them we have done our job. Saying this is a disaster because we found bugs is ridiculous. We have had many betas worse than this one that have been pulled and quickly replaced with a new beta. If you don't like the drama stay out of the beta, READ THE ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD daily. When you feel comfortable that the beta is stable enough for YOU (this is a personal decision that each user needs to make), upgrade then. I typically wait at least several days, and if the bugs look significant I DON'T EVER install it.

If users are going to complain that betas contain bugs the beta program is going to be closed.

So be smart. If you have a test array by all means keep on the tip of releases. But if you have your kids videos on your array with no backup DO NOT be first in line with a new beta.

And keep your posts in this thread productive and not complaints about bugs.

... i would be pulling b13 as more bug reports on it are pretty much meanigless at this point and only serve to catch more users with issues.

It is still available for installation in the webgui... Should be removed from there also.

This is what confused me. I grabbed it recently from the site and then when it was still avail via webgui I assumed that meant it was on site as well.

The intent was for apcupsd webGui plugin to be included in the build, but we removed because we haven't completed it's testing and we didn't want to delay this release even more.

I'm not sure I understand the reluctance to include the apcupsd plugin.  It is a webgui that adjusts the apcupsd.conf file for the desired operation and starts and stops the apcupsd daemon that is in the apcupsd package.  There are many using the apcupsd plugin and of all the plugins, it has probably been tested more thoroughly than any others.  If has been tested thoroughly by PeterB with his constant power black and brown outs.

What do you think LT needs to test?

Including the apcupsd plugin in b13 would have prevented a lot of the update issues and not introduced any new issues and prevented a lot of headaches.  Any adjustments in the operation you felt needed to be done could have been done at a later release.

This is what confused me. I grabbed it recently from the site and then when it was still avail via webgui I assumed that meant it was on site as well.

Agree -- it should be removed from the Web GUI as well ... and indeed there should be BOLD note on the first page of this thread indicating there are significant issues and the release has been pulled with a Beta 14 to be released as soon as possible after the key bugs have been resolved.

Something ugly going on here in beta13.

I updated yesterday or Tuesday from beta10 using the github link in the beta12 thread. The server came back with beta13.

Now everytime when I look in Dashboard, Tools, Shares or other tabs and I go back to the main tab I have lost connection to the GUI.

I also see no Icons in Settings or tools just text.

I think I go back to beta12 in the old fashioned way by stopping the array and copying the beta12 files to the flash drive. I have to powerdown -r first though cause the GUI is gone.

This sounds very much like a browser issue. Have you completely cleared the cache of your browser and reload the GUI ?

In B13 there have been updates to several javascripts, these updates only become effective when the browser cache is cleared, otherwise the browser will keep on using the 'old' versions.