unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta13-x86_64 Available

limetech

Hi Guys,

I upgraded to B13 and my docker was working earlier today.  I powered down my server to perform some other "fun" work and got everything back up but now docker will not start.

I see nothing in syslog to indicate problems.

my docker.img file sits on a cache drive formatted BTFRS.  I've read a little through the thread and saw most were issues with unformatted cache drive.  My cache drive appears to be working fine.

Any ideas on how to diagnose and possibly fix this?

Thanks,

Mike

Try deleting the .gz files in /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/ and then rebooting.  (Assuming of course that your cache drive is NOT showing unformatted)
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry if this isnt a constructive post but I'd just like to quickly say thanks to Tom & Jon for all their hard work. It's a small team delivering a big product and I just don't think they deserve the criticism at all.

As stated, this is a beta and should be treated as such. LT normally has amazingly stable beta's and they shouldn't be abused for a slip in an unfinished product.

Keep up the good work guys. 

Hi Guys,

I upgraded to B13 and my docker was working earlier today.  I powered down my server to perform some other "fun" work and got everything back up but now docker will not start.

I see nothing in syslog to indicate problems.

my docker.img file sits on a cache drive formatted BTFRS.  I've read a little through the thread and saw most were issues with unformatted cache drive.  My cache drive appears to be working fine.

Any ideas on how to diagnose and possibly fix this?

Thanks,

Mike

Try deleting the .gz files in /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/ and then rebooting.  (Assuming of course that your cache drive is NOT showing unformatted)

Very strange, but that did the trick.

Thanks again to Squid!! :D

As a followup I was able to resolve the 'unformatted'  problem of my second cache drive with a program called Test disk after reverting back to beta12.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

It detected the partition and let me repair the partition table by setting the partition to the proper type.  I haven't noticed any data loss yet,  so I think it's good.

Thanks for the info!  I was able to do the same thing!

As a followup I was able to resolve the 'unformatted'  problem of my second cache drive with a program called Test disk after reverting back to beta12.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

It detected the partition and let me repair the partition table by setting the partition to the proper type.  I haven't noticed any data loss yet,  so I think it's good.

Did you install TestDisk on you unRAID server or did you pull the cache drive out and put it into another system? If installed on unRAID server how is that done? I am a Windows user, so this is all still new to me.

Did you install TestDisk on you unRAID server or did you pull the cache drive out and put it into another system? If installed on unRAID server how is that done? I am a Windows user, so this is all still new to me.

I ran it from the unRAID server. Here are my steps.

Follow these steps at your own risk!

The steps I followed, yours steps may vary.

Restored backup files from /boot/v6.0-beta12/

Reboot

UI should show beta12 as the version when it's done restarting.

Make sure your array is shut down.

connect via ssh or login to the machine directly

mkdir /boot/testdisk

cd /boot/testdisk

wget http://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk-7.0-WIP.linux26-x86_64.tar.bz2

tar -Bxvf testdisk-7.0-WIP.linux26-x86_64.tar.bz2

cd testdisk-7.0-WIP

./testdisk_static

Write log

Figure out which disk you need to fix by looking at the Web UI and determine which cache /dev/sd? is blue.

This was changing between reboots for me, so make sure to check the UI before selecting the drive.

Intel -> Analyse -> Quick Search -> Use arrows to set type (I chose logical first to match what the other drive had, but that didn't work after a reboot) I ended up selecting P for primary, and that worked for me.  Yours may be differt. -> Continue -> Choose Write

Exit program, and reboot from the UI.

When it came back up my cache drives were both green, so I started the array and everything came up as expected.  All my Dockers are working as they were before the beta13 upgrade.

If the drives aren't green in the UI, repeat the steps within the ./testdisk_static program and try another partition type option.

-Eric/Heuristic

I ran it from the unRAID server. Here are my steps.

Follow these steps at your own risk!

The steps I followed, yours steps may vary.

Restored backup files from /boot/v6.0-beta12/

Reboot

UI should show beta12 as the version when it's done restarting.

Make sure your array is shut down.

connect via ssh or login to the machine directly

mkdir /boot/testdisk

cd /boot/testdisk

wget http://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk-7.0-WIP.linux26-x86_64.tar.bz2

tar -Bxvf testdisk-7.0-WIP.linux26-x86_64.tar.bz2

cd testdisk-7.0-WIP

./testdisk_static

Write log

Figure out which disk you need to fix by looking at the Web UI and determine which cache /dev/sd? is blue.

This was changing between reboots for me, so make sure to check the UI before selecting the drive.

Intel -> Analyse -> Quick Search -> Use arrows to set type (I chose logical first to match what the other drive had, but that didn't work after a reboot) I ended up selecting P for primary, and that worked for me.  Yours may be differt. -> Continue -> Choose Write

Exit program, and reboot from the UI.

When it came back up my cache drives were both green, so I started the array and everything came up as expected.  All my Dockers are working as they were before the beta13 upgrade.

If the drives aren't green in the UI, repeat the steps within the ./testdisk_static program and try another partition type option.

-Eric/Heuristic

Eric,

I'm sure there are quite a few users who appreciate your help!

Thank you,

John

Thanks, Eric.

I was not able to recover anything. So I decided to start over and scrap the cache pool and go back to a single cache drive. Which is what I have been wanting to do for a while now.

How do I take a backup of my docker images just in case this happens again?

How do I take a backup of my docker images just in case this happens again?

Stop docker and then copy the docker image file to another device.

Along with the app folder where I put the containers?  - in my case /mnt/cache/appdata folder

Sure!  The image and the appdata folder are separate entities.  The image doesn't contain user data (or at least it shouldn't if you're using Docker properly).  If your docker image file got corrupted, the worst you should have to go through is redownloading the application images themselves, but the metadata for the apps should still be intact.  The /mnt/cache/appdata folder is the one worth protecting as it stores things like Plex's library data and application configuration settings.  If you lose that data, it's not exactly the end of the world like losing a movie file or personal data, but it's certainly a bigger deal than losing the docker image which contains no actual user data inside of it.  make sense?