Open VM Tools for unRAID 6

Zeron

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Updated for unRAID 6.6.1.  VMWare Tools version 10.2.5.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pyHgCjGdPzLZ2YUn3ktUfewnft3Gped6

The above share is not a direct link. I decided to share out the folder, so folks can look for older versions if necessary.  This folder contains the current plugin, as well as all of the Packages necessary.

I attempted to update all of the packages, but I kept running in to issues.  I will continue to work on that and get as many updated as possible.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone get a supported/working ver. of open vm tools working in unraid 6.5.x ?

Can someone confirm if the referenced open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.49-unRAID-x86_64.tgz works and how to install it?

I'm currently have installed: 2017.05.28, build for unRaid releases based on Kernel 4.9.30 (6.3.5), but it shows as not running in vcenter/vsphere client.

Edited by guruleenyc
  • 1 month later...

I am on unraid 6.6.6  (unlucky version I guess)

I tried to update the script with all the latest versions but I get the same error reported by the previous users:

Verifying package open_vm_tools-10.2.5-4.18.20-unRAID-x86_64.tgz.
Installing package open_vm_tools-10.2.5-4.18.20-unRAID-x86_64.tgz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Executing install script for open_vm_tools-10.2.5-4.18.20-unRAID-x86_64.tgz.
Package open_vm_tools-10.2.5-4.18.20-unRAID-x86_64.tgz installed.
Starting VMWare Tools Daemon.
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 127

I am running:

Kernel: Linux 4.18.20-unRAID x86_64

Should the script be updated to look for the correct kernel header versions?  Not sure where it is going wrong?  

Attached is my updated script as of this posting the download links are correct.

Also, perhaps if someone is better at scripting than me... could you just update the script to attempt to download the latest file for each using wildcards so that it wouldn't have to be manually updated each time the files change?  Just an idea, not sure if that would work.

openVMTools_auto.plg

On 1/6/2019 at 10:29 AM, StevenD said:

Well, v6.6.6 is sticking around longer than I thought it would.  I updated the plugin to use VMWare Tools 10.3.5.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1pyHgCjGdPzLZ2YUn3ktUfewnft3Gped6

DL 10.3.5 packages and 10.3.5 openvmtool plg.

getting the following

+==============================================================================
| Skipping package open_vm_tools-10.3.5-4.18.20-unRAID-x86_64 (already installed)
+==============================================================================

Starting VMWare Tools Daemon.
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 127

rebooted machine and ran install again.

Edited by theobserver_
19 hours ago, theobserver_ said:

DL 10.3.5 packages and 10.3.5 openvmtool plg.

getting the following

rebooted machine and ran install again.

It looks like you already had it installed.  The only thing I can recommend if rename your existing packages directory, extract everything off the zip to a new packages directory.  Delete the existing plugin, reboot, then install the updated plugin.

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome, a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to keeping this plugin alive.

I followed @StevenD directions here using the latest files from his google drive link and it installed perfectly on 6.6.6

Can't find it now but I think someone mentioned using wildcards to always download the latest files, is there a reason that wouldn't work?  I'm not the best with scripting but would be willing to take a whack and putting something together if there's no reason for it to not work.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting this error on 6.6.6 and vmware tools 10.3.5.  Running ESXI 6.7.0 (Build 8941472). 

plugin: downloading: http://slack.conraid.net/repository/slackware64-current/libdnet/libdnet-1.12-x86_64-5cf.txz ... failed (Invalid URL / Server error response)
plugin: wget: http://slack.conraid.net/repository/slackware64-current/libdnet/libdnet-1.12-x86_64-5cf.txz download failure (Invalid URL / Server error response)

I can confirm these files don't exist in the repo, at least not at that URL.  Looking in the plg file, it looks like many others are also missing.  

EDIT:  My fault, user error.  Didn't have the packages in the right place.  

Edited by oliver
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, StevenD said:

Give this plugin a try.  It still needs some additional error/version checking, but it definitely works on 6.6.6 and 6.6.7, and its much more simple than the "auto" plugin that we all have been using for a while.

Hi, and thanks for plugin - just installed on my second unraid VM, and looks like it works - i see on Esxi host it's running.