Zeron

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi Steven,

i do run unRAID as VM under Proxmox v6.x and it uses a qemu-agent to talk to the hypervisor.

so my question would be: do you see a way of compiling the necessary QEMU-Agent for unRAID, or is this out of question?

a quick search for slackware based QEMU agent showed this for example:

https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/qemu-guest-agent/

that would be really great and very much appreaciated – and it would offer one more integration of unRAID into another great hypervisor (which is free and has no artifical limitations).

and btw. happy new year to ya! 🙂

Edited by s.Oliver
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cholzer said:

@StevenD thanks a lot! :D
There is no kind of configuration required, right?

Nope.  None at all.  it just needs the plugin and the three packages that the plugin installs. 

One of these days I may try to figure how how to do an options page, like for NTP, but that’s somewhat beyond my knowledge. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

After updating to 6.9.0-beta22 with the latest openVMTools_compiled plugin, the following started appearing in the logs every 5 minutes:

Jun 30 20:05:00 unraid-server kernel: Unknown ioctl 1976

Removing the openvm plugin and rebooting the server, the messages above no longer appear in the syslog.

9 hours ago, SCSI said:

After updating to 6.9.0-beta22 with the latest openVMTools_compiled plugin, the following started appearing in the logs every 5 minutes:

Jun 30 20:05:00 unraid-server kernel: Unknown ioctl 1976

Removing the openvm plugin and rebooting the server, the messages above no longer appear in the syslog.

All I do is compile the open-vm-tools from Github. I honestly dont know much about it.  However, there appears to be an issue with open-vm-tools and the 5.6+ kernel. 

https://github.com/vmware/open-vm-tools/issues/425

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1821892

That issue was closed on githiub, but Im not seeing a fix applied.  The redhat links mention modifying a file. I will look into that when I compile the next beta.

Thanks for maintaining this plugin @StevenD. I run my unraid install under ESXi too and just came across this. Silly question (given this is half the point of vm tools), but just double checking that running a guest OS shutdown in ESXi runs a graceful unraid shutdown with this installed?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, cheeks said:

Thanks for maintaining this plugin @StevenD. I run my unraid install under ESXi too and just came across this. Silly question (given this is half the point of vm tools), but just double checking that running a guest OS shutdown in ESXi runs a graceful unraid shutdown with this installed?

Yes...it does. It’s really all I care about. Limetech already includes all the appropriate drivers. 

• Like 1

What version of ESXI are you using for testing? I just updated my host to the latest ESXi 7.0b and installed the latest version of openvmtools_compiled and I am not seeing the errors in the log since I restarted the server 5 hours ago. I was using the ESXI 7.0 GA release prior to updating.

Update:

Ok the errors appeared 10 minutes after I posted this. :( It looks like 7 error messages gets written every time I refresh the openVMTools_compiled setting page.

Edited by SCSI
15 minutes ago, SCSI said:

What version of ESXI are you using for testing? I just updated my host to the latest ESXi 7.0b and installed the latest version of openvmtools_compiled and I am not seeing the errors in the log since I restarted the server 5 hours ago. I was using the ESXI 7.0 GA release prior to updating.

Update:

Ok the errors appeared 10 minutes after I posted this. :( It looks like 7 error messages gets written every time I refresh the openVMTools_compiled setting page.

I did a bunch of testing, including removing the setting page altogether, and the messages still appear in the logs. 

I have tested it on both vSphere 6.7 and 7.0.

i should have more time to play with it later in the week. 

@SCSI

I have put quite a bit of time in this, and I just can't seem to make the message disappear using open-vm-tools 11.x.x.  I reverted to 10.3.10, and the ioctl message only shows up four times upon intial startup or plugin install.

I am going to see if the open-vm-tools maintainers will help with this, but I doubt they will. Someone else posted this error and they closed it saying you need vsock installed.  We dont need it, so there is no point in trying to install it. I am pretty sure it would need a custom kernel, which is way above my head and not something I really want to maintain.  This is apparently caused by a change in the 5.x kernel.

The current version of the plugin (2020.07.11) will install open_vm_tools-10.3.10-5.7.7-Unraid-x86_64-202007111402.tgz on unRAID 6.9-beta24. I did not compile a new one for -beta22.

Edited by StevenD
On 4/3/2020 at 2:44 AM, solidno8 said:

Can you update libffi? It seems to be breaking unraids plugin ui when I update it with nerd tools. Or is there a way to handle the updating with nerd tools?

Sorry...somehow I never saw this. I will test it out this week and replace it in the plugin if it works ok. 

On 7/11/2020 at 3:51 PM, StevenD said:

@SCSI

I have put quite a bit of time in this, and I just can't seem to make the message disappear using open-vm-tools 11.x.x.  I reverted to 10.3.10, and the ioctl message only shows up four times upon intial startup or plugin install.

I am going to see if the open-vm-tools maintainers will help with this, but I doubt they will. Someone else posted this error and they closed it saying you need vsock installed.  We dont need it, so there is no point in trying to install it. I am pretty sure it would need a custom kernel, which is way above my head and not something I really want to maintain.  This is apparently caused by a change in the 5.x kernel.

The current version of the plugin (2020.07.11) will install open_vm_tools-10.3.10-5.7.7-Unraid-x86_64-202007111402.tgz on unRAID 6.9-beta24. I did not compile a new one for -beta22.

Thank you for maintaining this plugin. I am still on unraid 6.9 beta 22 with the 2020.7.01 openvm plugin and have not seen the "ioctl" error in the syslog since the initial install 9 days ago. I also have not gone to the settings page.

I saw your release notes for the newer openvm releases and having the "ioctl" message show up only a few times upon installation is good enough for me. Thanks again.

• Like 1