Open VM Tools for unRAID 6

Zeron

@StevenD Looks like there is an issue with the newest version of the plugin. The error message I'm seeing indicates the files hosted on GitHub are possibly corrupt

Verifying package open_vm_tools-10.3.10-5.10.1-Unraid-x86_64-202012191115.tgz.
Unable to install /boot/config/plugins/OpenVMTools_compiled/packages/open_vm_tools-10.3.10-5.10.1-Unraid-x86_64-202012191115.tgz: tar archive is corrupt (tar returned error code 2)
Starting VMWare Tools Daemon.

36 minutes ago, ryanhaver said:

@StevenD Looks like there is an issue with the newest version of the plugin. The error message I'm seeing indicates the files hosted on GitHub are possibly corrupt

Verifying package open_vm_tools-10.3.10-5.10.1-Unraid-x86_64-202012191115.tgz.
Unable to install /boot/config/plugins/OpenVMTools_compiled/packages/open_vm_tools-10.3.10-5.10.1-Unraid-x86_64-202012191115.tgz: tar archive is corrupt (tar returned error code 2)
Starting VMWare Tools Daemon.

Looks like it didn't upload to Github at all.  It should be there now.

Sorry about that.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/7/2021 at 11:49 PM, StevenD said:

Had a bit of time today, and I managed to get open-vm-tools compiled for 6.10-rc2!  I even had a bit of luck on my side, as I was actually able to get it working with the latest VMWare Tools (11.3.5) without the ioctl "errors" spamming the event log.

@doron

Just installed and everything is looking perfect - thanks again @StevenD! This is awesome.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Install failed on 6.10.2 with the error below. Probably due to the updated kernel 5.15.43?

Sorry, OpenVMTools has not yet been compiled for your unRAID version.

Edit: latest version solved the issue. Thanks for the great work.

Edited by sjtuross
  • 3 months later...

Updated for 6.11.0 Stable Release.

Some things have changed with 6.11, so I had to do a workaround.  In order for VMWare Tools to start, I had to add:

ln -s /usr/lib64/libffi.so.7 /usr/lib64/libffi.so.6

This very well could have an unintended consequence, or could cause an issue with another plugin.

I am going to see if I can find someone a little more knowledgeable than me to walk through my plugin and see if there is a way to make it work each time unRAID gets updated. 

That being said, the plugin does allow you to shutdown unRAID cleanly from within vCenter or ESXi, which is all I really care about.

• 6 months later...

Since I no longer have to compile a new VMWare Tools package for each release, I added a wildcard to the plugin so that it should work with any version newer than 6.12.x, as long as it uses the v6.x kernel.

So if you update to a new version, please let me know if you have any issues.  I'll remove the wildcard and go back to the individual releases if there are issues.

This currently works fine with 6.12.0-rc1 and -rc2. I expect it to work with any additional -rc and -release when it comes out.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm on version 6.12.0-rc2 and getting the following error.

On 3/25/2023 at 12:23 PM, StevenD said:

k with any version newer than 6.12.x, as long as it uses the v6.x kernel.

So if you update to a new version, please let me know if you have any issues.  I'll remove the wildcard and go back to the individual releases if there are issues.

This currently works fine with 6.12.0-rc1 and -rc2. I expect it to work w

vmtools.jpg

Edited by inky
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/8/2023 at 5:37 PM, Jmarc said:

Maybe it was mentioned before but you don't need a plugin. Vm Tools in docker works perfectly well. I had it running on my Synology VM and it works for Unraid as well!

https://github.com/delta-whiplash/docker-xpenology-open-vm-tools

Enjoy!

I finally got around to playing with that. Unfortunately, its running a really old version of VMWare Tools (10.1.5).  It does work though.

Ive never built a Docker image before. Maybe I'll play with it. It would likely be easier to keep upgraded,

Thanks!