Wake on Lan plugin for unRAID 6.1

dmacias

Hi!

For some weird reason the plugin does not wake up my desktop.

I can wake my desktop using my router but not with the plugin through unraid server.

I have tried with IP&MAC and also using only MAC with the same results.

(When I scan with the desktop running, the plugin can detect it.)

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

This might be a silly question, I'm pretty new to all this, doesn't this wake your unRaid server or the devices that connect to it? I'm currently having issue with my Macbook disconnecting from my server when it wakes from sleep, I'm hoping this plugin will solve my issue.

Thanks in advance!

It just allows you to scan your network and create a table of devices you can wake from the unRAID webGui. I have plans to add cron jobs to wake devices on the network at certain times. So for your situation it wouldn't help. Unless you wanted to wake your Mac book from unRAID.

This might be a silly question, I'm pretty new to all this, doesn't this wake your unRaid server or the devices that connect to it? I'm currently having issue with my Macbook disconnecting from my server when it wakes from sleep, I'm hoping this plugin will solve my issue.

Thanks in advance!

It just allows you to scan your network and create a table of devices you can wake from the unRAID webGui. I have plans to add cron jobs to wake devices on the network at certain times. So for your situation it wouldn't help. Unless you wanted to wake your Mac book from unRAID.

Thanks for the quick reply! You wouldn't be able to nudge me in the right direction? I've been searching for a couple days now for a solution.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the quick reply! You wouldn't be able to nudge me in the right direction? I've been searching for a couple days now for a solution.

Sorry until the other day when I installed an OSX virtual machine I have had zero experience with it. The forum search can be unhelpful at times. Try a google search with unRAID added or of the forums.

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I just installed this plugin and Virtual Machine Wake On Lan and I must say I love them because they just work so well! ;D

They even work great together.

The only thing I missed was the ability to proxy magic packets to other computers because most routers cannot forward ports to mac adresses

so I cannot wake my computer outside my network (for examle using TeamViewer).

So I thought, why don't you take the magic packet listening stuff from your libvirtWOL plugin and put it into this one? That would be awesome!

You could add a lever to each device in the wake list to enable the magic packet proxy. You could even merge the libvirtWOL plugin into this one by adding the virtual machines to the device list.

This is just an idea but it would make this plugin so much more powerful.  ;)

Thanks for some good ideas. The server side part of magic packet proxy should be possible after looking through some wol proxy daemons. I'm not sure about the client side implementation. Most likely a script you'd have to run on an outside computer plus port forwarding in the router.

Thanks for some good ideas. The server side part of magic packet proxy should be possible after looking through some wol proxy daemons. I'm not sure about the client side implementation. Most most likely a script you'd have to run on an outside computer plus port forwarding in the router.

Couldn't it just, when it receives a magic packet for a specific mac address, check if the wol device list contains a matching device and after verifying, that magic packet proxying is enabled for that device, etherwake it just like the wake button on the gui does?

The difference to just forwarding the magic packet from the router straight to that device would be that the magic packet is broadcastet instead of redirected to a specific ip which allows it to wake devices that are off.

What I meant by proxying was doing the same thing you already do with virtual machines but instead of waking a virtual machine you send an etherwake to the right device. And since you have the device list, you could add a toggle to each device to enable this proxy functionality so you have a whitelist feature already built in.

Thanks for some good ideas. The server side part of magic packet proxy should be possible after looking through some wol proxy daemons. I'm not sure about the client side implementation. Most most likely a script you'd have to run on an outside computer plus port forwarding in the router.

Couldn't it just, when it receives a magic packet for a specific mac address, check if the wol device list contains a matching device and after verifying, that magic packet proxying is enabled for that device, etherwake it just like the wake button on the gui does?

The difference to just forwarding the magic packet from the router straight to that device would be that the magic packet is broadcastet instead of redirected to a specific ip which allows it to wake devices that are off.

What I meant by proxying was doing the same thing you already do with virtual machines but instead of waking a virtual machine you send an etherwake to the right device. And since you have the device list, you could add a toggle to each device to enable this proxy functionality so you have a whitelist feature already built in.

I'll see what I can come up with. Also to clarify how the Virtual Machine WOL works, it uses a wol python script that I modified. I modified it to listen promiscuously to the local network for upd port 7, 9 and ether proto 842 and it decodes those packetes and searches for mac address repetitions. Then it starts a vm with that mac address.

I don't think the router will forward the magic packet or it won't get through at all. The solutions I looked at would be a daemon that ran and would listen on a certain port that it's forwarded through your router. The daemon would then broadcast the magic packet when it received a packet though that port.

• 4 months later...

A network scan is no longer working for me. Now when I press scan it shows the spinning circles for a split second then returns with no devices listed. I am not sure when it stopped working, but possibly after changing my Ethernet bonding from active-backup to 802.3ad.  Would that affect a network scan?

A network scan is no longer working for me. Now when I press scan it shows the spinning circles for a split second then returns with no devices listed. I am not sure when it stopped working, but possibly after changing my Ethernet bonding from active-backup to 802.3ad.  Would that affect a network scan?

What version unRAID? I think some of the unRAID variables changed I was relying on. I have a similar problem with another plugin. I'll look in to this.

What's your network config for unRAID? How many nics and which ones are connected? Could you post your network.cfg from your flash drive?

The MB has 4 Ethernet ports, but only three working. I recently changed from bonding type 1 to 4. I tried going back to type 1 and unplugging all but one interface, which is how it was when last working, but no change to the network scan. Here is my network.cfg from the bonded configuration:

# Generated settings:

IFNAME[0]="br0"

BONDNAME[0]="bond0"

BONDING_MIIMON[0]="100"

BRNAME[0]="br0"

BRSTP[0]="no"

BRFD[0]="0"

BONDING_MODE[0]="4"

BONDNICS[0]="eth0 eth1 eth2"

BRNICS[0]="bond0"

DESCRIPTION[0]=""

USE_DHCP[0]="no"

IPADDR[0]="192.168.1.8"

NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"

GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"

DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="yes"

DNS_SERVER1="192.168.1.4"

DNS_SERVER2=""

DNS_SERVER3=""

MTU[0]=""

SYSNICS="1"

What's your network config for unRAID? How many nics and which ones are connected? Could you post your network.cfg from your flash drive?

The MB has 4 Ethernet ports, but only three working. I recently changed from bonding type 1 to 4. I tried going back to type 1 and unplugging all but one interface, which is how it was when last working, but no change to the network scan. Here is my network.cfg from the bonded configuration:

# Generated settings:

IFNAME[0]="br0"

BONDNAME[0]="bond0"

BONDING_MIIMON[0]="100"

BRNAME[0]="br0"

BRSTP[0]="no"

BRFD[0]="0"

BONDING_MODE[0]="4"

BONDNICS[0]="eth0 eth1 eth2"

BRNICS[0]="bond0"

DESCRIPTION[0]=""

USE_DHCP[0]="no"

IPADDR[0]="192.168.1.8"

NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"

GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"

DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="yes"

DNS_SERVER1="192.168.1.4"

DNS_SERVER2=""

DNS_SERVER3=""

MTU[0]=""

SYSNICS="1"

Ok. I think I got it this time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The network scan function that is part of this plugin does not return any hostnames on my system.  I have used other similar programs in the past, such as Fing on iOS, WakeMeonLAN, etc or even my Asus Merlin router firmware and they do a much better job at populating this info.  Any chance on getting improvements in this area and using the OUI database to help identify objects on the LAN?

The network scan function that is part of this plugin does not return any hostnames on my system.  I have used other similar programs in the past, such as Fing on iOS, WakeMeonLAN, etc or even my Asus Merlin router firmware and they do a much better job at populating this info.  Any chance on getting improvements in this area and using the OUI database to help identify objects on the LAN?

This plugin uses nmap which does use OUI database. This version is about a year old. I'll try and compile the latest nmap and update the plugin.