Wake on Lan plugin for unRAID 6.1

dmacias

I am having trouble getting the plugin to remember changes made from the Wake On Lan tab. Here's what I do:

1. Click on "new" button

2. New line shows up with hostname "New", IP Address 192.168.X.XXX, Mac Address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX.  It is always the same IP Address and Mac Address.

3. I edit the hostname, IP Address, and Mac Address

4. Status changes to green

5. Click on "Done" whereupon I get sent back to Unraid's Setting tab

6. If I click on Wake On Lan in the Settings Tab, I go back to the Wake On Lan tab of this plugin. The Hostname, IP,  and Mac address have all reverted back to what they were in step 2

I have examined wakeonlan.xml and find that the new host does not get saved to the file. If I edit the file to put the new host in manually, it does not show up as a host in the plugins Wake On Lan tab.

I am on Unraid 6.3.5. Does this plugin require 6.4?

Update: After about an hour, the edits I made to wakeonlan.xml were reflected in the plugin as I had hoped. There must be a cache somewhere that takes a while to update. I had rebooted Unraid hoping that would make the cache read the edited wakeonlan.xml, but that did not work. Waiting an hour did work. 

Edited by kamhighway
On 1/28/2018 at 12:18 PM, kamhighway said:

I am having trouble getting the plugin to remember changes made from the Wake On Lan tab. Here's what I do:

1. Click on "new" button

2. New line shows up with hostname "New", IP Address 192.168.X.XXX, Mac Address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX.  It is always the same IP Address and Mac Address.

3. I edit the hostname, IP Address, and Mac Address

4. Status changes to green

5. Click on "Done" whereupon I get sent back to Unraid's Setting tab

6. If I click on Wake On Lan in the Settings Tab, I go back to the Wake On Lan tab of this plugin. The Hostname, IP,  and Mac address have all reverted back to what they were in step 2

I have examined wakeonlan.xml and find that the new host does not get saved to the file. If I edit the file to put the new host in manually, it does not show up as a host in the plugins Wake On Lan tab.

I am on Unraid 6.3.5. Does this plugin require 6.4?

Update: After about an hour, the edits I made to wakeonlan.xml were reflected in the plugin as I had hoped. There must be a cache somewhere that takes a while to update. I had rebooted Unraid hoping that would make the cache read the edited wakeonlan.xml, but that did not work. Waiting an hour did work. 

I was able to reproduce this. CTRL-F5 or F5 was able to fix it. I'll look into it.

• 1 year later...

Is this plugin gonna be updated to work with 6.7? Just updated and etherwake doesn't work anymore.

Nevermind.. I just remembered that I had a power outage this week, and for some reason, I need to power on the backup server manually one time before it will accept a magic packet. Did that and it works as normal.

Edited by strike
  • 5 months later...

"Wake On Lan" (WOL) wont "Network Scan",   NMAP version issue. 

re:  Wakeonlan (2019.01.25) , Unraid  6.7.x,  6.8.rc1

Hadn't needed to touch WOL since Unraid 6.6.7 because it just worked well (thanks).  
Recently had a need to use WOL's  'Network  Scan' to add servers and found that it silently failed to scan.

Investigating, found it uses 'nmap' for the scan.

'nmap -V' fails in the Unraid terminal due to missing /lib64/libssl.so.1 & /lib64/libcrypto.so.1 
Unraid 6.7.x & 6.8rc now provides /lib64/libssl.so.1.1 & /lib64/libcrypto.so.1.1
Experimenting I creating a softlink between each of the libssl and libcrypto versions.
This allowed NMAP (7.50) to work and the 'Network Scan' to function again. 
Such softlink's would need to be scripted to be applied each boot if continued to be used in this manner. 

Another plugin, 'Unassigned Devices' also uses NMAP, but ver 7.70.   Unraid also loads this version each boot.   Since Unraid loads plugins alphabetically the "Wakeonlan" loads next and Unraid overwrites the UD NMAP 7.70 with the WOL NMAP 7.50.  
Experimenting again, I renamed  /config/plugins/wakeonlan.plg  to  /config/plugins/1wakeonlan.plg  for it to load first and rebooted.  
WOL NMAP 7.50 was loaded first then overwriten by UD NMAP 7.70 as expected. 
Wakeonlan  'Network Scan' worked with NMAP 7.70 without any softlinks or apparent issues. 

Please revise "wakeonlan" to load NMAP 7.70 or a later version. 
The latest NMAP 7.80 was released in Aug 2019.  

Thank you.

"Wake On Lan" (WOL) wont "Network Scan",   NMAP version issue. 

re:  Wakeonlan (2019.01.25) , Unraid  6.7.x,  6.8.rc1

Hadn't needed to touch WOL since Unraid 6.6.7 because it just worked well (thanks).  
Recently had a need to use WOL's  'Network  Scan' to add servers and found that it silently failed to scan.

Investigating, found it uses 'nmap' for the scan.

'nmap -V' fails in the Unraid terminal due to missing /lib64/libssl.so.1 & /lib64/libcrypto.so.1 
Unraid 6.7.x & 6.8rc now provides /lib64/libssl.so.1.1 & /lib64/libcrypto.so.1.1
Experimenting I creating a softlink between each of the libssl and libcrypto versions.
This allowed NMAP (7.50) to work and the 'Network Scan' to function again. 
Such softlink's would need to be scripted to be applied each boot if continued to be used in this manner. 

Another plugin, 'Unassigned Devices' also uses NMAP, but ver 7.70.   Unraid also loads this version each boot.   Since Unraid loads plugins alphabetically the "Wakeonlan" loads next and Unraid overwrites the UD NMAP 7.70 with the WOL NMAP 7.50.  
Experimenting again, I renamed  /config/plugins/wakeonlan.plg  to  /config/plugins/1wakeonlan.plg  for it to load first and rebooted.  
WOL NMAP 7.50 was loaded first then overwriten by UD NMAP 7.70 as expected. 
Wakeonlan  'Network Scan' worked with NMAP 7.70 without any softlinks or apparent issues. 

Please revise "wakeonlan" to load NMAP 7.70 or a later version. 
The latest NMAP 7.80 was released in Aug 2019.  

Thank you.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll add the unassigned version for 6.8
2 hours ago, Transient said:

I came here to report the same issue. Would it be possible to check if a newer nmap is already installed and only install when an older version is present?

No, that would be nice but there's no package manager for Unraid or slackware really. I updated the plugin to use nmap 7.70 for Unraid 6.7+.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

I was wondering if there was a way to user this plugin, inside of the user scripts tab.

I'm trying to set up a schudled power-on of a machine of mine, and I cant seem to get it to work.

Using the plugin, I can power on my machine, but though user scripts, I can't make it work.

This is what I've been trying and nothing seems to work.

#!/bin/bash
etherwake MAC:ADDRESS

Thanks in advanced!

3 hours ago, Crocs said:

I was wondering if there was a way to user this plugin, inside of the user scripts tab.

I'm trying to set up a schudled power-on of a machine of mine, and I cant seem to get it to work.

Using the plugin, I can power on my machine, but though user scripts, I can't make it work.

#!/bin/bash

Thanks in advanced!

Maybe I misunderstand you.

Do you mean you want the same computer that is asleep to wake up and run a script to wake itself up? Doesn't make much sense does it?

Maybe I misunderstand you. 

4 hours ago, Crocs said:

#!/bin/bash

Thanks in advanced!

Try 

#!/bin/bash
etherwake -b MAC:ADDRESS

Should get you going :)

• 1 month later...
WOL Plugin on 6.8 Is broken.. the green icon is showing as a broken image and cant be pressed to WOL a pc... i tried to remove it, reinstall, cleared cache still wont work.
They just renamed some of the icons in the gui. Still works for me just the icons missing during checking and not online but devices online show green. I can press the missing icons and it still works.
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been using this tool to wake my backup server, command i used:

etherwake -D -i bond0 -b 04:d4:c4:49:f3:a1

This has worked fine on my supermicro motherboard when using the internal nic's on the motherboard, but i recently upgraded to an intel x540-t1 10gbit network card and now my backup server won't wake.

I've included the new 10gps nic into the bond0 group, i've also tested to do command

etherwake -D -i eth2 -b 04:d4:c4:49:f3:a1

but nothing seems to work

Etherwake gives no error message though it tells me it was successful, but nothing wakes up!

The target station address is 4:d4:c4:49:f3:a1.
Packet is  ff ff ff ff ff ff 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 08 42 ff ff ff ff ff ff 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1.
Sendto worked ! 116.

Ideas what i could do?

Edited by je82
Hi,   I've been using this tool to wake my backup server, command i used:  

etherwake -D -i bond0 -b 04:d4:c4:49:f3:a1

This has worked fine on my supermicro motherboard when using the internal nic's on the motherboard, but i recently upgraded to an intel x540-t1 10gbit network card and now my backup server won't wake.

I've included the new 10gps nic into the bond0 group, i've also tested to do command

etherwake -D -i eth2 -b 04:d4:c4:49:f3:a1

but nothing seems to work

Etherwake gives no error message though it tells me it was successful, but nothing wakes up!

The target station address is 4:d4:c4:49:f3:a1. Packet is  ff ff ff ff ff ff 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 08 42 ff ff ff ff ff ff 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1 04 d4 c4 49 f3 a1. Sendto worked ! 116.  

Ideas what i could do?  

I came across this

"10-Gigabit Ethernet adapters

Wake-on-LAN isn't supported on Intel Ethernet 10-gigabit adapters."

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005793/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

wtf?!

So it may not transmit it on that adapter. I never used bond as the interface or -b option. Usually etherwake -i br0 mac address.

3 hours ago, dmacias said:

Ideas what i could do?  

I came across this

"10-Gigabit Ethernet adapters

Wake-on-LAN isn't supported on Intelemoji2400.png Ethernet 10-gigabit adapters."

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005793/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

wtf?!

So it may not transmit it on that adapter. I never used bond as the interface or -b option. Usually etherwake -i br0 mac address.

Interersting, but does that not only relate to having the actual intel nic wake the system up from sleep? Or is the nic actually not capable of sending a wol packet? I've never heard of such a thing. Shouldn't any nic be capable of crafting such a package but not all nics support actually listening for them when the system is sleeping?

I'm no network expert, bond seemed the easiest way to run multiple interfaces as one, i do not know what br0 is. I guess i will have to play around a little bit more, i did add a 10gps switch beteen the server and the backup machine and perhaps the switch is not passing the wol package even though it is currently configured to be just a dumb switch nothing more.

I'll have to do some more testing, thanks for the reply!

Edited by je82

holy smokes, it was a faulty network cable causing me trouble, and it decided to not work everytime i had my 10gps switch connected... what a weird strange draw of luck, it works fine now.

i cannot believe it just randomly decided to not work whenever i had the switch connected, but now when i am jiggling it around a bit i notice it is dropping randomly, anyway... i can send wol fine.

im making sure to cut this cable in two, this is a cursed one!

Edited by je82
  • 2 weeks later...
Just making sure i understand how this works. Does it automatically send a magic packet without you having to interact with it?
No it does not. It's just s basic plugin to find and add computers to s list that you can manually wake up. Never added any kind of automation or schedule. It does install etherwake. You can use a script to just run a simple etherwake command.
13 minutes ago, dmacias said:
23 minutes ago, nyteghost said:
Just making sure i understand how this works. Does it automatically send a magic packet without you having to interact with it?

No it does not. It's just s basic plugin to find and add computers to s list that you can manually wake up. Never added any kind of automation or schedule. It does install etherwake. You can use a script to just run a simple etherwake command.

Okay just making sure. Was looking for a way to remote wake up my other pc.

• 1 month later...

Granted I am using UNRAID 6.8.3 with UNRAID NVidia, but I am using this plugin and it seems to be working fine, however, there is always this at the bottom of my screen.  Any ideas how to get this to go away?

Untitled.png.4e23cd9e8be47dcd8a9287277726eef3.png

Could this be because this plugin isnt supported for my version of unraid?  Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.