How fast does your unRAID mount disks?

BillyJ

The amount of time to mount disks can very considerably depending on whether you did a successful tidy shutdown, and also with how much data you tend to write.  A forced close is VERY likely to lead to extended mount times as any transaction logs need to be replayed.

The sync times on shutdown can also depend on whether you have been writing data to the array just before initiating the shutdown.    If you have then you have to wait while disks any buffers in RAM are flushed to disk.  The more RAM you have the longer this can take.  If the server has been idle for some time, then data is almost certainly already flushed, but you have to wait while disks are spun up so they can by synced.

The amount of time to mount disks can very considerably depending on whether you did a successful tidy shutdown, and also with how much data you tend to write.  A forced close is VERY likely to lead to extended mount times as any transaction logs need to be replayed.

The sync times on shutdown can also depend on whether you have been writing data to the array just before initiating the shutdown.    If you have then you have to wait while disks any buffers in RAM are flushed to disk.  The more RAM you have the longer this can take.  If the server has been idle for some time, then data is almost certainly already flushed, but you have to wait while disks are spun up so they can by synced.

I had just moved 60GB of 2mb video files off the cache to the array, then proceeded to reboot. I always invoke mover before a shut down or reboot to clear the cache.

With beta14 I've just formatted to XFS from BTRFS and it seems like stop and starts are close to about 10 seconds, I'll wait and see if this goes back up to 5 min when i kick off my NVR. I could have stuffed something up with the BTRFS pooling i attempted a while back.

Thank you.

I had just moved 60GB of 2mb video files off the cache to the array, then proceeded to reboot. I always invoke mover before a shut down or reboot to clear the cache.

With beta14 I've just formatted to XFS from BTRFS and it seems like stop and starts are close to about 10 seconds, I'll wait and see if this goes back up to 5 min when i kick off my NVR. I could have stuffed something up with the BTRFS pooling i attempted a while back.

Thank you.

Invoking the mover is not needed.. How do you shutdown or reboot ?  Thru the webinterface or from commandline... Or even (shudder to think) by pressing the button on your system ?

Are you using plugins?

I was only using the APCUPS plugin but I have removed that since Beta14.

Invoking the mover is not needed.. How do you shutdown or reboot ?  Thru the webinterface or from commandline... Or even (shudder to think) by pressing the button on your system ?

I'd usually just click the move now button and wait till all the data is over to the array... Mostly though the web interface, I choose Stop array. After 5 or so minutes i had been known to use Terminal and remote in and use the reboot command.... failing that after 10 minutes  (maybe happens a few times a month) I would login to IPMP and click power cycle to force it.

Does it get stuck on a particular disk unmounting? Easiest way to check would be to just terminal in

cd /mnt/user/

ls

and see which disk is still up, since it umounts from disk1 upwards in logical order. Or check the syslog and see which disk its hanging on. It could be a bad disk, or something running on that disk refusing to stop

Does it get stuck on a particular disk unmounting? Easiest way to check would be to just terminal in

cd /mnt/user/

ls

and see which disk is still up, since it umounts from disk1 upwards in logical order. Or check the syslog and see which disk its hanging on. It could be a bad disk, or something running on that disk refusing to stop

Thanks, will give it a shot next time.

cd /mnt/user/

ls

ps -elf | grep disk

and

ps -elf | grep user

Will also give you info.

For me in most cases it was cache_dirs taking longer then I had patience for to stop working...

cd /mnt/user/

ls

ps -elf | grep disk

and

ps -elf | grep user

Will also give you info.

For me in most cases it was cache_dirs taking longer then I had patience for to stop working...

Thanks for this info, I have some bigger problems then the speed of the Unmount. Although I'm sure the last couple of unmounts that led me to post this may of in fact been the CPU stall issue.