[SOLVED]: unRAID 5.0.6 no management console accessible

Two problems really.  I'll start with the instructions to put syslog into /boot as syslog.txt and chmod it worked fine on the server, but don't appear on the USB drive when I take it over to my Windows lappy.  So I have no syslog to share; welcome how I might be able to deliver that for review.

Second: Real problem is that the server comes up, gets an apparently un-conflicted IP address, is ping-able by my lappy but I can't get to the web console with "tower" or the actual IP address.  Doesn't matter if I try port 80, 8080, or 443.  It feels to me like port 80 isn't responding.  When looking at the received and transmitted bits with ifconfig, they do go up each time I run a browser request over to the server.  To make life a bit simpler, I plugged them into the same router to be sure I wasn't having some kind of hopping issue from router to router.  Server is running in DHCP for now.

Other potentially key bits.  This is an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board.  It took me FOREVER to find out you have to have a FAT formatted USB drive just to get this board to recognize it.  Additionally, I just replaced the memory (2GB) and tested it since the original(s) were toast.

In one of my attempts I restarted samba and got no errors so I assumed the service was running fine.

Welcome any advice for how to proceed.  Thanks in advance.

If you

cp /var/log/syslog /boot/syslog.txt

and then put the flash drive in your PC, syslog.txt should be a file at the root of your flash drive. There won't be any boot folder to look in because boot is just the mount point of the flash when it is in unRAID. Maybe you already understood this but just in case.

It was an older 256MB USB drive and seemed to work without issue.  But your questions drove me to try out a larger drive (4GB) with a DOS MBR in FAT32 format.  Tried it in the system with the 1805 BIOS (last published).  It worked.  So I reformatted and put on the unRAID image and now it ALL works.  I can't fully explain why it didn't work when I originally tried it, but it didn't.  The Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe does work with the FAT32 format and the 5.0.6 and I'm in good shape.  Now on to learning all the rest.

Thanks for the super-quick replies, trurl.  Much appreciated.