***OFFICIAL GUIDE*** Restoring your Docker Applications in a New Image File

jonp

For those of you finding this (like me) in 2023. 

Go to your docker tab in unraid. then top right of the page click the slider to change to advanced instead of basic. 

under each docker listing you should see Force Update which does what it says on the tin. rebuilds from scratch using the latest images etc. 

Useful if like me you have some containers that dont show updates that are available.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 1:12 PM, Kilrah said:

Install the Docker Update Patch from CA, this is due to changes on Docker side and isn't related to the topic.

no idea what this means sorry. 

The topic was "Should you wish to recreate your Docker virtual disk image from scratch, but retain your application data to avoid requiring reconfiguration for certain apps, the process is simple."

but the info was out of date so i added an alternative current available method. 

What would the Docker update patch from CA do?

Ah ok understood. I am not sure how the update path thing works. I have a few containers that never show an update being available so just assumed they dont publish updates correctly or something like that. some of my containers are not installed from Apps so not sure if that makes a difference. 

Either way i think the the force rebuild option is useful to know about for people as i assume, like me, some users might not have the advanced option enabled.

29 minutes ago, Driden said:

some of my containers are not installed from Apps so not sure if that makes a difference. 

Yeah it does, the update notification/status check works by keeping a list of the image versions for installed containers and comparing to that, but that only tracks what was installed via templates.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:06 PM, Kilrah said:

Yeah it does, the update notification/status check works by keeping a list of the image versions for installed containers and comparing to that, but that only tracks what was installed via templates.

i will have to dedicate some time to learning how the templates work so i can add some of the ones missing into the community apps area. 

im sure others would find them useful too. 

• 3 months later...

I made the mistake of following these instructions thinking it would restore my containers after they somehow disappeared. Sure, they are back, but if you are reading this thinking these instructions will put things back to where they were, I think you might be dissapointed. Custom variables, specific settings in the container, custom networks etc. It all seems to be back to defaults forcing me to have to remember how I had previously setup my reverse proxy, SWAG settings etc. Sigh....

Edited by paulbram

The whole point is to restore everythig with your settings... Previous Apps in CA should be all you need.

Obviously that assumes the templates are still on the flash drive, if you say your containers "disappeared" flash corruption and those being lost could be the cause so then you're SOL indeed...

Edited by Kilrah

Currently custom networks are only kept in the image, so yes, you will need to redo the custom networks BEFORE you restore the Previous Apps that are looking for them. Custom variables should be in the templates, and so should container specific changes.

If, however, you don't have the apps set up properly so all their appdata is stored external to the image, you will lose those settings. Docker containers are supposed to be set up so all customization is done to mapped paths outside the image.

On 6/8/2023 at 7:43 AM, JonathanM said:

Currently custom networks are only kept in the image, so yes, you will need to redo the custom networks BEFORE you restore the Previous Apps that are looking for them. Custom variables should be in the templates, and so should container specific changes.

If, however, you don't have the apps set up properly so all their appdata is stored external to the image, you will lose those settings. Docker containers are supposed to be set up so all customization is done to mapped paths outside the image.

How can I confirm if I have things stored outside the image properly? For some reason, my SWAG docker container wasn't listed in the user templates, even though everything else was. As a result, all my reverse proxy stuff is broken even though it seems my actual containers are working. I wonder if it's all related to the missing custom network.

• 3 weeks later...