***OFFICIAL GUIDE*** Restoring your Docker Applications in a New Image File

jonp

How long does the building a new image takes ???? i have been stuck for almost half an hour and get no response from the server .... also would you recommend me to format my cache drive other than BTFRS ???

Edit i had to reboot the server and now i cant mount the array i have been waiting for over an hour ..... damn this is now starting to worry me

I created a new docker image and re-installed all my docker programs into it. However, there is a persistent problem I have been unable to solve. Under templates, there is a list of user created templates, but there are no other templates, even though I have gfjardm's repo saved under templates. Nothing. Any idea how to make those templates magically appear?

I'm having the same issue, i have three repo's and none of the templates are loading, reported in the beta14 thread

How long does the building a new image takes ???? i have been stuck for almost half an hour and get no response from the server .... also would you recommend me to format my cache drive other than BTFRS ???

Edit i had to reboot the server and now i cant mount the array i have been waiting for over an hour ..... damn this is now starting to worry me

At what step specifically?

How large did you specify the image?

Can you access the server via telnet or SSH?

I rebuilt the docker image for beta 14a and it is running but when I try to reinstall the apps I had the templates don't load anything.  Even if I try the other templates, nothing is loaded.

The format of what is on the screen is different in the newest beta so does that mean all the templates have to be updated?

I wonder if someone could help.

After upgrading to 14b I followed the instructions on this page to recreate my docker img.

However when trying to add my previously installed applications under user defined templates I get "the command failed error". 

Edit - never mind, seems to be working now.  My saved templated had no data in them at all for some reason.  After trying a few times the data just appeared, no idea what was happening.

are you trying to load a docker from a repo or from local storage ?

Not sure what was going on, all the templates I had were empty.  However after a few attempts the templates seemed to populate themselves. 

To be honest I've no idea what happened, so I'd just ignore my post as it seems to be working fine now.

I just upgraded from b12 to b14b and after deleting my docker image and re-creating it, my user-defined templates were all blank, as well as the default templates.  I ended up deleting out the repository, applying, and adding back the repository.  After that, all the templates were populated.

*I just read that others are having this issue... Again likely not expected, but if you are patient it will finish building the new image. Take a look at the image size growing through the cache directory share (or wherever, slowly) and you'll know it's working and not frozen.

For some reason (IDK, maybe it's normal, but I doubt it!) when I delete docker.img and recreate a new exactly the same named docker.img it takes a LONG time to create it, like hours!

I had this previously happen when I had a corruption issue (ran out of space), so I deleted my 10GB one, and made a new one with the exact same name 15GB.

The UI just spins, and spins, however I can see that it is still going by looking on the cache drive and seeing the image size growing.

The exact same issue that I had when doing this previously (10GB to 15GB) is happening now when I deleted and recreated for the new image with the No COW image.

I'd assume not normal, thought I'd chime in, see if fixable.

It will eventually go, but no lie almost an hour to build a 15GB image on an SSD cache drive.

*I just read that others are having this issue... Again likely not expected, but if you are patient it will finish building the new image. Take a look at the image size growing through the cache directory share (or wherever, slowly) and you'll know it's working and not frozen.

For some reason (IDK, maybe it's normal, but I doubt it!) when I delete docker.img and recreate a new exactly the same named docker.img it takes a LONG time to create it, like hours!

I had this previously happen when I had a corruption issue (ran out of space), so I deleted my 10GB one, and made a new one with the exact same name 15GB.

The UI just spins, and spins, however I can see that it is still going by looking on the cache drive and seeing the image size growing.

The exact same issue that I had when doing this previously (10GB to 15GB) is happening now when I deleted and recreated for the new image with the No COW image.

I'd assume not normal, thought I'd chime in, see if fixable.

It will eventually go, but no lie almost an hour to build a 15GB image on an SSD cache drive.

I had this happen to me once before in testing a long time ago, but could never recreate it thereafter.

Can you share a syslog?

All,

Should you wish to recreate your Docker virtual disk image from scratch, but retain your application data to avoid requiring reconfiguration for certain apps, the process is simple.

Step 1:  Delete your previous image file

• Login to your system from the unRAID webGui (http://tower or http://tower.local from Mac by default).
  • Navigate to the Docker tab.
  • Stop the Docker service if it is not already.
  • Click the checkbox next to the Docker image that says Delete Image File.
  • Click the Delete button after clicking the checkbox to delete the image (this may take some time depending on the size of your image).
  • After the file has been deleted, you can simply re-enable the Docker service and the image will be created in the same storage location with the same name.

dockerguide-delete.png

Step 2:  Redownloading your applications

• With the Docker service restarted, click Add Container.
  • From the Template drop down, select one of your previously downloaded applications from the top of the list under User defined templates.
  • If none of your volume mappings or port mappings have changed, you can click create immediately to start the download process.
  • Repeat this process for each application you wish to re-download.
  • Toggle the Autostart for each application after it downloads (only if desired).

dockerguide-usertemplates.png

Step 3:  There is no step 3...

Seriously...  What, you expected more steps?  Nope!  You're done!

I followed these instructions to restore my Docker image file.

My question is I see in all the threads they are saying their docker image is

/mnt/cache/image.img 

After following the 2 steps mine comes up as /mnt/cache/docker.

There is no .img file name.

is this correct and OK ?

All,

Should you wish to recreate your Docker virtual disk image from scratch, but retain your application data to avoid requiring reconfiguration for certain apps, the process is simple.

Step 1:  Delete your previous image file

• Login to your system from the unRAID webGui (http://tower or http://tower.local from Mac by default).
  • Navigate to the Docker tab.
  • Stop the Docker service if it is not already.
  • Click the checkbox next to the Docker image that says Delete Image File.
  • Click the Delete button after clicking the checkbox to delete the image (this may take some time depending on the size of your image).
  • After the file has been deleted, you can simply re-enable the Docker service and the image will be created in the same storage location with the same name.

dockerguide-delete.png

Step 2:  Redownloading your applications

• With the Docker service restarted, click Add Container.
  • From the Template drop down, select one of your previously downloaded applications from the top of the list under User defined templates.
  • If none of your volume mappings or port mappings have changed, you can click create immediately to start the download process.
  • Repeat this process for each application you wish to re-download.
  • Toggle the Autostart for each application after it downloads (only if desired).

dockerguide-usertemplates.png

Step 3:  There is no step 3...

Seriously...  What, you expected more steps?  Nope!  You're done!

I followed these instructions to restore my Docker image file.

My question is I see in all the threads they are saying their docker image is

/nmt/cache/image.img 

After following the 2 steps mine comes up as /nmt/cache/docker.

There is no .img file name.

is this correct and OK ?

Is it /mnt not /nmt, right?

And if you don't put an extension, linux figures it out anyway. Although I'd probably rather have one there.

• 5 weeks later...

I have what may be a rather silly question...

I am on v6b12 and my docker image is on a BTRFS cache pool @ /mnt/cache.  Do I...

upgrade to b14b and then perform the docker image delete/recreate?

or

perform the docker image delete/recreate and then upgrade to b14b?

John