Intel RES2SV240 $60 + S&H

brian89gp

Could you use this in place of a AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 or LSI 9240-8i? or is this for a completely different application?

Thank you

You would connect the LSI 9240-8i to the RES2SV240 to multiply the ports to a maximum of 24 off a single LSI 9240-8i controller. 

FYI: With 19 drives connected to a single IBM M1015 and RES2SV240 I get 90-100+MB/s on the outer tracks on a 4TB WD Red drive.  So about a 25% speed drop from using 3 IBM M1015 controllers using the same 19 drives.

Could you use this in place of a AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 or LSI 9240-8i? or is this for a completely different application?

Thank you

This is a SAS expander, which requires a SAS controller like those you mentioned. The expander increases the number of drives the controller can connect.

Thank you

This is a SAS expander, which requires a SAS controller like those you mentioned. The expander increases the number of drives the controller can connect.

Thanks for the explanation!

Mine arrived today, well packed in original box.  They came with both high and low profile PCI slot plates and (6) SAS cables.

I wasn't expecting it to come like that.  I was/am expecting this to just be the card (just ordered one) so hope mine comes the same way.  This sounds like what I got when I ordered from Amazon/Newegg for my first 3 a year or two ago and I didn't think it was a bulk pack like ebay listing says.  Guess I was wrong. 

Mine arrived today, well packed in original box.  They came with both high and low profile PCI slot plates and (6) SAS cables.

I wasn't expecting it to come like that.  I was/am expecting this to just be the card (just ordered one) so hope mine comes the same way.  This sounds like what I got when I ordered from Amazon/Newegg for my first 3 a year or two ago and I didn't think it was a bulk pack like ebay listing says.  Guess I was wrong.

They shipped my 4 boxed cards in a box that fit 5 of them and had RES2SV240 stickers on the outside, the 5-pack box is probably the "bulk" part of it.  Its original Intel packaging, has the serial number of the card on the sticker stuck on the box.

I remember paying $5 per SAS cable a while back, thats $30 right there.

• 2 weeks later...

Best way to use there? (Assuming an M1015 or a SAS2LP card feeding it)

Assuming controller is installed in a PCIe x8 v2 slot.

(And I'm talking about spinners, not SSDs)

1 in 5 out (4 to 20 drives)?

1 in 4 out (4 to 16 drives) Would be possible to use two of these so you'd be able to support 32 drives off of a single 2 SAS port card.

2 in 4 out (8 to 16 drives)?

2 in 3 out (8 to 12 drives)?

I expect 2 in 4 out is the most common, but just curious on best use without clipping parity check performance significantly.

Best way to use there? (Assuming an M1015 or a SAS2LP card feeding it)

Assuming controller is installed in a PCIe x8 v2 slot.

(And I'm talking about spinners, not SSDs)

1 in 5 out (4 to 20 drives)?

1 in 4 out (4 to 16 drives) Would be possible to use two of these so you'd be able to support 32 drives off of a single 2 SAS port card.

2 in 4 out (8 to 16 drives)?

2 in 3 out (8 to 12 drives)?

I expect 2 in 4 out is the most common, but just curious on best use without clipping parity check performance significantly.

The PCIe x8 v2 SAS card would have a maximum of 32Gb/s or 4GB/s

4 lane SAS2 is 24Gb/s or 3GB/s

20 drives on 4 lanes would yield 1.2Gb/s per drive still, or 153MB/s

There is 48Gb/s of SAS2 bandwidth sitting on a 32Gb/s PCIe bus, the card is already oversubscribed bandwidth wise.

Unless you follow the overclocker mentality of demanding the utmost performance, I don't think that there would be much lost by the 1-in-5-out option with the other 4 lanes on the PCIe card directly driving the parity and cache drives. 

For my personal use I go with 2 in from the M1015 and 4 out to the backplanes in my Norco 4020.  I use the bottom 4 rows for unRAID and the top for are the ESXi datastore.

For a Norco 4224 I have done 1 in and 5 out and then the second M1015 port for the last backplane.  I saw very little difference in speed.  This left the motherboard ports free for ESXi datastore drives.

With mine configured as follows:

• 1 M1015
  • 1 in 5 out
  • 16 drives connected (Seagate 3TB DM001 drives)

I get a 25% reduction in speed compared to two M1015s with the same 16 drives.

I in 5 out would allow 20 drives plus the other 4 from the second SAS connector=24. Can you clarify how you connected the 16 drives?  Is the M1015 in a PCIe 2.0 slot?

Would be interesting to see the difference in changing to a 2 in 4 out configuration. Seems you have the perfect number of drives for that.

With mine configured as follows:

• 1 M1015
  • 1 in 5 out
  • 16 drives connected (Seagate 3TB DM001 drives)

I get a 25% reduction in speed compared to two M1015s with the same 16 drives.

I in 5 out would allow 20 drives plus the other 4 from the second SAS connector=24. Can you clarify how you connected the 16 drives?  Is the M1015 in a PCIe 2.0 slot?

Would be interesting to see the difference in changing to a 2 in 4 out configuration. Seems you have the perfect number of drives for that.

Correct.  I have a bunch of empty connections currently in my 5x3s.  I setup to allow 24 drives but I currently only have 16 installed.

MB Tyan S5512 installed in x16(x8 electrical since using other x8 slots) PCIe 2.0 slot under ESXi 5.0 unRAID VM.

When I installed 2nd M1015 into x8 slot next to x16 I had to pass through that controller to unRAID VM as well.  But in that test I had to reconnect only the drives installed since I was limited to 16 drives.  I will lookup my post with the results but will take a while.

Edit here is the thread where I posted my results:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33461.msg309007#msg309007