parity errors, possibly the same ones recurring from test to test

I came home tonight to find the server had shut off; not sure why.  When I started it back up, it did not start a parity check, so it must have shut down safely, somehow.

I started a new correcting parity check.  We'll see how it goes.

5 errors :(

Same ones I assume?
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

yes, still an issue.  I have not tried different memory modules, and don't have any spares I could use to swap out to try with.  I'm moving this weekend, so will no have any time to try anything for at least another week, but once I have time, I'll see if I can find another machine I can scavenge to try different memory; but don't have much hope it will help.

Hopefully the others will chime in with their status also.

• 1 month later...

Monthly automatic parity check just finished, 5 errors.

Other than swapping memory (I don't have any extra to swap out with to test); what can I do to help diagnose and resolve this issue?

Have you tried setting your parity disk to not spin down? I have a 6TB WD Red Parity drive and every parity check I would get 128 errors. Changing the spin down time on the parity disk to never eliminates these errors (I get 0 errors in this situation). What is strange for me is I have another 6TB WD Red data drive and I don't need to set it to never spin down. It's only the parity drive.

I know you have a completely different parity drive, but thought it was worth suggesting to see if it made a difference.

Have you tried setting your parity disk to not spin down?

No, the thought never occurred to me, but I just changed it to never, and started a new parity check.  I'll know more in about 15 hours.

I can't explain why it has fixed my issue as I don't really understand, but figured it was worth a suggestion. Hopefully it helps.

Justin,

Have you tried the latest unRAID version 6.0.1? It seems to have fixed the problem for me. I believe the problem is with your Syba controller which uses the flakey Marvell controller as I had one also in my system with only my cache drive on it and once I remove it the parity check errors disappeared. I am now running again with the Marvell controller and 6.0.1 and have run at least 5 parity checks with no errors. The problem with the Marvell controller was mainly when used with VT-d enabled but I think it also caused glitches in some systems even without VT-d enabled.

I am running 6.0.1, but still have the errors.  I don't know if the parity drive is connected to the Syba controller, but it certainly could be.  Maybe I'll check this weekend.  The server is not in a place that's very easy to access, so we'll see.

I do run with vt-d enabled, and am passing thru the GPU to a Windows 8 VM.  Maybe I'll stop the VM, turn off vt-d and run another parity check soon.

I'm still hoping LT jump in and show more interest in this issue...

Wanted to check in on this to see if this is still an issue.

I responded that it was, but never heard anything back.

Oh well.

No, the thought never occurred to me, but I just changed it to never, and started a new parity check.  I'll know more in about 15 hours.

I can't explain why it has fixed my issue as I don't really understand, but figured it was worth a suggestion. Hopefully it helps.

After turning spindown to never on parity drive, then running a new parity check, it completed without any errors; progress!

I don't know why it should matter, but it seems to have helped.  Now, I'll turn it back to default spindown, and run another parity check and see if the errors return.

I'll report back in about 15 hours ;)

The reason we haven't jumped in is because we cannot recreate on our systems for diagnosis. It seems like it could be hardware specific.

What about pcie ACS Override?  On or off for you?

That makes sense.  Is there anything you need/want me to do to help you get to the bottom of it?  Any special logging or debug build you need/want me to run?

Maybe the parity disk spindown situation will shed some light.

Anyway, if you need anything from me to help kill this one, please let me know.

thanks again!

After turning spindown to never on parity drive, then running a new parity check, it completed without any errors; progress!

I don't know why it should matter, but it seems to have helped.  Now, I'll turn it back to default spindown, and run another parity check and see if the errors return.

I'll report back in about 15 hours ;)

Interesting. I had assumed it was something unique to the 6TB WD Red drives as that was the first time I had encountered it. I've tried spinning down my parity drive between various builds and it's always thrown errors. I expect you will report that in 15 hours or so. :)

Hopefully this helps diagnose the issue. It would be great to not have to keep the parity drive up all the time, but it beats parity errors.

3 or 4 users seeing the same 5 parity error issue?

1 or 2 is a coincidence. 3 or 4 is more factual, right?

This post is in the General Support for V6. I'm seeing the same thing. All the drives health is good. Checked everything possible.

What are the odds on doing a parity back to back and seeing 5 errors again?

Jun 30 13:54:08 SUN kernel: md: correcting parity, sector=3519069768

Jun 30 13:54:08 SUN kernel: md: correcting parity, sector=3519069776

Jun 30 13:54:08 SUN kernel: md: correcting parity, sector=3519069784

Jun 30 13:54:08 SUN kernel: md: correcting parity, sector=3519069792

Jun 30 13:54:08 SUN kernel: md: correcting parity, sector=3519069800

I did a parity a couple days ago after the build and had 5 errors also, but killed my syslog on a reboot. I saved it this time. I guess I'll run some tests on each drive, but the last time I checked they were all good.

EDIT: Finally got a parity check done. The same 5 errors again. Is this a bug I should report? I've individually checked every drive, ran long smart tests and all are good. No pending sectors, no raw errors.

Jul  2 08:20:57 SUN kernel: md: correcting parity, sector=3519069768

Jul  2 08:20:57 SUN kernel: md: correcting parity, sector=3519069776

Jul  2 08:20:57 SUN kernel: md: correcting parity, sector=3519069784

Jul  2 08:20:57 SUN kernel: md: correcting parity, sector=3519069792

Jul  2 08:20:57 SUN kernel: md: correcting parity, sector=3519069800

I've been thinking about this a bit more.  I can't imagine why the spindown setting for the parity disk would have any affect on this error situation.  But, even if it does for some reason I can imagine, shouldn't the parity disk not shutdown, nor even try while a parity is running?  Shouldn't the parity disk be active the entire time the check is running?  i.e. there is no reason I can see that the parity disk should even try to spindown while the parity is being checked, so how can the spindown setting have any affect, unless it's the setting itself causing the issue (and not the actual act of trying to spindown the disk.)

Just thinking out loud here.

3 or 4 users seeing the same 5 parity error issue?

1 or 2 is a coincidence. 3 or 4 is more factual, right?

Yeah, seems unlikely its a coincidence.

From the Main page, click on the parity drive hyperlink, which will take you to the settings for that specific drive.

What does it have for spin down delay?  Mine is set for "use default".  After changing it to "never", the errors went away.  I just changed it back, and am running a new parity check to see if the errors return.

From the Main page, click on the parity drive hyperlink, which will take you to the settings for that specific drive.

What does it have for spin down delay?  Mine is set for "use default".  After changing it to "never", the errors went away.  I just changed it back, and am running a new parity check to see if the errors return.

Mine right now is set to 'default'. And my default disk settings for spin down is never. I will change that setting to never and re-run another parity. Can't wait to see what happens. Let you guys know.

Here is my syslog with the parity errors - http://pastebin.com/XxexF24N

Definitely interested in what happens => this seems it's VERY unlikely to make a difference, but anything's possible ... and it worked for JustinChase, so it just might be the ticket.

However ... there have to be a LOT of UnRAID systems (i.e. the vast majority) that have spindown timers and run error-free parity checks (all 3 of mine, for example ... plus my test system) => so if it DOES make a difference, there has to be something else involved as well.

Waiting for your results ...  :)

Okay, I must admit I'm surprised, but parity check finished and...

no errors!!

I just confirmed the parity disk spin down setting is back to use default, and this time no errors.  I have no idea why running it with 'never' then coming back to the setting it's always had 'fixed' this issue, but it seems to have worked.

I have not restarted the system during any of this testing, so I cannot confirm it will survive a reboot; but I sure hope it does.

parity_finished.png.6ebd1695733e57a4f76abb24c532255e.png