"No configuration file found" after hard reboot

Ulvan

Last night I updated Phaze's Sync plugin via WebUI, which didn't work - WebUI said it was installed, but I couldn't start it. When I woke up in the morning, WebUI was unresponsive.

I had to do a hard reboot as putty connection was always reset, and ctrl-alt-del reboot script didn't work.

When I reboot, Controller 1 and 2 are reported OK, ports OK, spin-up groups OK.

There is a brief moment when the system lists adapter 0 and 1, and 10 disks. This is fewer disks than I have, but likely due to the controllers I mentioned which are not seen by BIOS.

On that screen it asks whether to enter BIOS setup which I haven't tried, yet, or continue. Then another screen flashes, I get dropped to a BIOS splash screen without having done a reboot, and immediately to a screen:

ERROR: No configuration file found

No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!

boot:

It doesn't appear to be a Linux prompt, as no linux commands work.

Please advise.

I think you should also check your BIOS settings.    You want to make sure that the boot device is still set to be the flash disk - it might have been reset particularly if there have been controller issues..  Also you want to make sure that all drives can be seen at the BIOS level - if that is not the case then it is unlikely that unRAID will see them.

Run a check on your USB drive (on a Windows machine). It may be corrupted.

The drive seems to work ok, but it is empty with no files, with only 12k in use. Really strange. I guess I should get a replacement stick.

Can I use an rsynced copy of the flash drive contents to recover all my settings and plugins and crontab, or do I need to use my 2nd unRAID key on the new stick and start from scratch?

edit: after brief research it appears that using a backup of the flash drive is a Bad Idea for various reasons.

Is there a step-by-step guide on getting the array up and running after the flash drive fails?

The drive seems to work ok, but it is empty with no files, with only 12k in use. Really strange. I guess I should get a replacement stick.

Can I use an rsynced copy of the flash drive contents to recover all my settings and plugins and crontab, or do I need to use my 2nd unRAID key on the new stick and start from scratch?

Are you absolutely sure the copy of the flash is current? Another user restored a copy of his flash, but it had an old disk configuration (super.dat) on it and unRAID thought one of his data drives was the parity drive. It was before, but had been replaced and reused as a data drive.

Also, if you made the copy with the array started (also tracked in super.dat) then unRAID will think you had an unclean shutdown and will start a correcting parity check.

Are you absolutely sure the copy of the flash is current? Another user restored a copy of his flash, but it had an old disk configuration (super.dat) on it and unRAID thought one of his data drives was the parity drive. It was before, but had been replaced and reused as a data drive.

Also, if you made the copy with the array started (also tracked in super.dat) then unRAID will think you had an unclean shutdown and will start a correcting parity check.

I'm sure it's current, but I've found out it's a bad idea to use a backup, so I won't as mentioned in my edited post.

Bought a new stick, waiting for a new key from Lime Tech Support.

Any easy way to setup my user shares like they were before without breaking anything? I have a screenshot of my drive config, but not my shares config. I had a cache drive, and disk1 didn't have any shares which would span other disks, so I guess that means it was excluded from shares.

If I remember correctly, the shares config is stored in a separate file on the stick.

If you have a backup you should be able to copy them over.

Can't check that as I don't have access to a copy of my unRAID config.

Yes, found it as share.cfg in the config dir.

Thank you!

If I remember correctly, the shares config is stored in a separate file on the stick.

If you have a backup you should be able to copy them over.

Can't check that as I don't have access to a copy of my unRAID config.

Yes, found it as share.cfg in the config dir.

Thank you!

share.cfg is just the global shares config that applies to all shares. The config folder also contains a shares folder with a config file for each share that you have configured.

Also, any folder at the root of cache or an array drive is automatically considered a user share by unRAID.

So, if you don't have each individual share's config file, you will still have the share, but it will have default configuration. You will have to use the webGUI to set the shares how you want; allocation method, split level, includes, excludes, use cache, security, etc.

share.cfg is just the global shares config that applies to all shares. The config folder also contains a shares folder with a config file for each share that you have configured.

Also, any folder at the root of cache or an array drive is automatically considered a user share by unRAID.

So, if you don't have each individual share's config file, you will still have the share, but it will have default configuration. You will have to use the webGUI to set the shares how you want; allocation method, split level, includes, excludes, use cache, security, etc.

Thanks, I noticed share.cfg was missing detail on the shares, and found them in the subfolder where I wouldn't have looked at. I didn't need them, though, as unRAID recognized the shares automatically by looking at the folders on the disks after I enabled them. The only thing was to exclude disk1 from all but one share (used for non-media files), as per my previous setup.

Received the replacement key already, excellent service from Tom at Lime Tech! Installed 5.0.6. and Dynamix, rebooted with the new pro key, carefully assigned all drives using a screenshot as reference (critical, glad I heeded the advice on numerous tutorials about taking screenies), making quadruple sure parity drive was correct. Started the array which took a good fifteen minutes.

Up and running again without hassles, currently running parity checks. Haven't tested if my automount at boot in linux still works (edit: it does), and if I can access the array without issues from my Ouya which I use as my media player/Kodi box (edit: I can).