Bios update slowed my transfer speeds

Bags

I upgraded my processor this week and decided to upgrade my ASUS M4A78LT-M LE bios. I know this is not the best board for unpaid but I bought a Realtek Nic card. Until the update I was getting 40MB/s writes now I getting 6MB/s. etho has my speed at 100/m\MB/s instead of 1000 MB/s. I upgraded to Unraid ver 5.06. The Nic driver is r8169. I think the card is 8169sc. I tried to look in the bios but I don't see PCi listed . I disabled the onboard nic as well. Since this card has worked in the past Im sure it was something I did in the updating. I know intel cards are better but I would like to make what I have work again. Thanks.

is down grading as simple as replacing biz root and biz image with the older versions I have saved, or should I go ahead and upgrade to version 6? is there any chance of loosing data during the upgrade since 6 uses a different format for the hard drives?

is down grading as simple as replacing biz root and biz image with the older versions I have saved, or should I go ahead and upgrade to version 6? is there any chance of loosing data during the upgrade since 6 uses a different format for the hard drives?

V6 still supports the ReiserFS format used by v5.  It also supports other optional formats (XFS and BTRFS) as well.  However as long as you stick to ReiserFS then the drives can be switched between v5 and v6.

Note that v5 plugins are not compatible with v6 and vice-versa.

"... is down grading as simple as replacing biz root and biz image with the older versions I have saved?"

Yes.  Just copy the older bzroot and bzimage files to the flash and reboot.

I suspect this issue is NOT related to your BIOS upgrade at all.  It's far more likely a configuration or cabling issue.

You indicated you tried a different Ethernet cable -- did you replace ALL of the cables involved?  e.g. if you have a network cable going to a UPS, with a small cable between the UPS and the server, did you also replace that one?

Just the cable from the NIC to the switch. The ups cable I have is usb/cat 5. I only have the one cable. I ran eth tool  -t  "cannot get driver information no such device" does that mean my driver is bad? Thank you for the continued help. I went back to 5.04 biz root and image no change.

If config - a displays ip address in the first paragraph and the second it says Link uncap:Local loopback.

eth tool eth0 shows my supported links, supported modes both up to 1000 base t.

speed is 100mbs and duplex is half.

also i cannot access the web gui

If config - a displays ip address in the first paragraph and the second it says Link uncap:Local loopback.

eth tool eth0 shows my supported links, supported modes both up to 1000 base t.

speed is 100mbs and duplex is half.

also i cannot access the web gui

Sounds like a cable or plug problem.

Could it be the card? I already replaced the switch. Ill have to get a new cable tomorrow.

Absolutely.  (The built-in on my desktop is very flakey that way - 7/10 times it won't connect at 1000.  An add in card always connects at 1000 using same cable, switch port, etc)

Not sure what you mean about your UPS cable being "USB/Cat5".    If you just have a USB cable running between the UPS and your system, then you're probably not using the UPS to filter your network cable.  Does the cable from the switch to the UnRAID system plug directly into the system?  If so, then the UPS isn't involved in this connection.    Most quality UPS units have a filter for the network cable to protect it against surges -- if you're using this the cable from your switch would plug into the UPS and there would be another Ethernet cable between the UPS and the UnRAID PC ... THAT is what I was asking about earlier.

In any event, it's pretty clear this has nothing to do with your BIOS update ... so you just have to methodically isolate where the issue is now.    It may help if you list your complete network topology -- EVERY connection and every cable involved in the connections between UnRAID and your PC.

I have an APC battery back up with the rj45 cable turning in to the USB into the tower for the battery shut down. Gary I am not using anything between my switch and my card. I am starting to think its the card. I tried a second cable and the green lights on the switch blink some of the time. The little green light on the card its self doesn't stay lit all the time. I'm thinking its the card. Gary to answer your question, cable router to time capsule to netgear unmanaged switch (gigabit) to nic card in the tower. 

So there's just a single cable between the tower and the switch.    I presume (from your earlier comment) that the switch has a light that shows the speed of the connection for that specific link, so you don't have to check the cabling to other devices.    If that's the case, and you've tried a new cable; then it's almost certainly your NIC card.    The other alternative would be a configuration issue within UnRAID ... but that seems unlikely since it's been working okay.  This WAS a card that worked fine without any added drivers from Limetech -- right?    [if you had previously added a driver for it, then it would likely have been wiped out when you upgraded, and probably still wasn't there when you then downgraded]