[support] Spants - NodeRed, MQTT, Dashing, couchDB

Is couchdb 2.x setup correctly?  Under databases on the web interfaces, you are supposed to get a _users database but no pre defined database shows.  In addition, hitting the setup as single node button does nothing.  Also, is there any chance to get couchdb 2.1.1?  

I'm trying to sync a large database, and it is constantly freezing.  I'm wondering if this is configured correctly.  Thanks.

Edited by Mlatx
On 11/12/2017 at 6:32 AM, Mlatx said:

Is couchdb 2.x setup correctly?  Under databases on the web interfaces, you are supposed to get a _users database but no pre defined database shows.  In addition, hitting the setup as single node button does nothing.  Also, is there any chance to get couchdb 2.1.1?  

I'm trying to sync a large database, and it is constantly freezing.  I'm wondering if this is configured correctly.  Thanks.

I will take a look at this for you. I use 2.0.0 and have a _users db. I see that the registry moved hence the upgrade to 2.1.1 didnt happen.

My template just fronts the dockers built by klaemo.

It may take a day or two as I am travelling at the moment.

Tony 

Thanks.  I'll check it out soon.  Also, I figured out why the _users db wasn't being generated.  It's because when I clicked on single node configuration in the last template nothing happened. I downloaded couchdb 2.1.1 to a local test setup, and upon clicking single node the change took and the db was setup.  So hopefully this new template works as expected.  I'll report back if not.

@spants I'm still having an issue with this setup when it comes to configuring single node.  Once you put the parameters in and click configure node, it should give you a message that it successfully completed where it then creates the _users and other db's.  Nothing is happening when I click on the green button "configure node."  Is that an issue in the template?  

3 minutes ago, Mlatx said:

@spants I'm still having an issue with this setup when it comes to configuring single node.  Once you put the parameters in and click configure node, it should give you a message that it successfully completed where it then creates the _users and other db's.  Nothing is happening when I click on the green button "configure node."  Is that an issue in the template?  

Nothing to do with the template as it just deploys the (semi)official docker image, thats all.....

Here are the docs for it: https://github.com/apache/couchdb-docker .   Can you see if this helps?

Edited by spants

What does your guys' data flow look like mostly? 

I see you have a couchDB spants, where are you fitting that in the picture?

I'm overhauling my system since it has been a couple years and I've moved physical locations and trying to get a good handle on a solid way for everything to flow.

Device --> MQTT (direct to node red, if not MQTT device) --> Node-Red --> End User Dash?

I use:

device -> mqtt -> node red -> influxdb -> grafana (dashboard)

alexa -> node red -> (custom skills)

I havent used Dashing for a while.... Data is still being sent to CouchDB but I may switch that off as I'm not really using it.

Tony

Edited by spants

Thanks again! 

Any recommendations for an interactive dash or a separate interactive software? I don't really use lights, but I do have a couple things I switch on and off or put on a timer to turn on most days. Most of my items are sensors collecting data (Temp, humidity), but I'm sure I'll incorporate a few other things over the years.

Are you running each of these through unraid dockers? mqtt -> node red -> influxdb -> graphana (dashboard)

Edited by live4soccer7

yes - all in docker images. 

Influx/grafana  is great for timeseries data. 

NodeRed (with NodeRed dashboard) makes  integrating this very easy. Can create switches etc.

the BigTimer node can be use to scheduler things (including offsets to dawn/dusk)

Lots of nice videos on youtube if you are not sure how to use it.

The node red dash is absolutely perfect for what I need! Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a question regarding node red DELAY node. What is the maximum delay that can be set in this delay node? I have up to 24 hr delays that are feeding in to it, however I just had one that didn't pass through anything after the delay should have run out. I'm thinking that it may have a maximum time delay. Everything else I've done with it on shorter times for testing always passes through my value. Even the other day when I had it setup for maybe 3-4hrs it passed through the msg. On the longer one I just did (8hrs roughly) nothing passed through and there were not messages on the debug resulting in this failure of the output of the delay timer.

19 hours ago, live4soccer7 said:

The node red dash is absolutely perfect for what I need! Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a question regarding node red DELAY node. What is the maximum delay that can be set in this delay node? I have up to 24 hr delays that are feeding in to it, however I just had one that didn't pass through anything after the delay should have run out. I'm thinking that it may have a maximum time delay. Everything else I've done with it on shorter times for testing always passes through my value. Even the other day when I had it setup for maybe 3-4hrs it passed through the msg. On the longer one I just did (8hrs roughly) nothing passed through and there were not messages on the debug resulting in this failure of the output of the delay timer.

Ben wrote this Node - would be best to ask him: https://www.hardill.me.uk/wordpress/2013/10/02/node-red-delay-node-formally-pause-node/.

BTW, You can find all sorts of flows and nodes here: https://flows.nodered.org/

You might want to look at BigTimer by Pete Scargill for controlling lights - It is what I use.

31 minutes ago, alanm said:

Hello,

I'm trying to use node-red-contrib-alexa-local within the node-red docker but can't get Alexa to discover the 'node red' devices.

Based on superficial research it looks like there is a dependency on upnp for this to work.

Do I need to add a port forward to the docker to support upnp? Umm - which port?

Thanks in advance

Hmm, sometimes asking for help is enough to 'fix' the problem.

I found changing the Node red docker from bridge to host mode allowed all the devices to be discovered.

I presume doing this prevents other dockers responding to upnp requests, so what is the correct way to do this?

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2018 at 8:02 PM, alanm said:

Hmm, sometimes asking for help is enough to 'fix' the problem.

I found changing the Node red docker from bridge to host mode allowed all the devices to be discovered.

I presume doing this prevents other dockers responding to upnp requests, so what is the correct way to do this?

I had the same problem with node-red-contrib-alexa-local. I could never get Alexa to find any discovered devices

I just gave up and used node-red-contrib-alexa-home-skill. This one worked if you follow the instructions. I'd still much rather use node-red-contrib-alexa-local since it seems more robust.......hope someone finds a solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone here know how to update node.js version in the Node-Red Docker Container?

docker exec -it NodeRed-OfficialDocker /bin/bash

node -V

The command above shows I'm on v6.13.0 of node.js.......but I need at least v8 to use a specific module I want

Update: Wow...was that easy. I just added "v8" as a tag to the Repository field on the Template......and hit apply. Super easy. So now my repository reads "nodered/node-red-docker:v8"

Edited by Stupifier
  • Like 1