correct commads to copy to XFS

are writes still occurring to the current disk 3? If there are active writes, leave it alone.

If the writes stopped. capture a syslog and post it. Also post the smart attributes of disk3 before doing anything.

As I mentioned, I don't know if you will still be able to rebuild disk 3 if you stop it. Someone else will need to answer that.

If you have a disk that can be replaced you can preclear it just in case, but I would not stop any operation that is currently in progress without determining current activity and posting logs/smart attributes.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes the writes had definatley stopped, i had left it for 6 hours stuck at 19% and noted the writes, they had not moved in 6 hours, i had to hard boot the server to get it running, oddly the GUI was refreshing but i could not telnet, access shares or shut down with power down script..it just would shut down so i had to hard boot it, it did start to rebuild again after booting but crashed on me again, i will do as you advise in a couple of hours, i have the logs available from the command you showed me to create newsyslog and syslog..ill also post the attributes of disk3

Many thanks again :o

I posted on my other thread (server locking up yet again) that i have scavenged 2 x 4GB modules from another pc and put them in, the server did not crash overnight and completed the data rebuild and i am letting it do a parity check which should complete in 8 hours if it doesnt crash again..not holding my breath but you never know, i have had a look at disk2 which was supposed to be removing the source files that were copied to disk3...its looks as though the rysync had completed but files were left on disk2 due to the crash...i am confident that disk2 copied to disk3 successfully and there are no files on the source disk that are overly important so i am thinking to go about the next rsync  by formatting disk2 to XFS and start copying the next disk to it.

EDIT: just had an after thought, if i remove disk2 and set it to format to XFS...will it start thinking the drive has gone down and try to initiate a data rebuild on that drive when i start the array..will/do i need to perform a 'new config' ?

Were you able to verify the md5sums on the newly rebuilt disk3?

I would do that before erasing and formatting the source disk.

Plus if it works out good, it will give you peace of mind as to what's good or bad.

As formatting disk2, I thought the process was to stop the array.

Click on the disk to change.

Change the filesystem type.

Then apply.

When the array is started, it will be unmountable and should provide the format option.

At least that's what I remember from my head this morning.

As formatting disk2, I thought the process was to stop the array. 

Click on the disk to change.

Change the filesystem type. 

Then apply.

That's is what I meant by removing the disk, stopping the array.

I distinctly remember disk 2 being about 1.8TB which is now the size of disk 3, ideally I would like to do the remove source files again, I am hoping it will carry on where it left off using the checksum and will see that certain files are already removed but I don't want to create another set of problems.

Luke... use the md5sum luke...

If you can validate the files on disk3 are good with the md5sum command, then it won't matter with the rsync checksum.

Therefore, I would start there.

They both sorta do the same thing.

You can do both, but do the md5sum validate first before doing any writing to disk3.

This show us how well disk3 was rebuilt and what files do not validate.

Migration finished. Thanks weebo for all your input and anyone else for that matter, seems all the crashing was down to bad memory,which im yet to confirm and will, its been up for some 3 days now!,  though i think its good i am now running on XFS, I now have a 3TB drive that i do not actually need space wise and i am interested in adding it as a 'hot spare' ?, not sure if this is good use of the drive but how would one go about it ?

Many thanks friend.

I would call it more of a warm spare. There is no real hot sparing in unRAID (Wish there were).

Use it as a cache drive if you do not have one.

Should you have an 'event' and need to rebuild a failed drive, move the data off the cache drive.

Stop the array and disable the cache drive, use the cache drive to fill in the failed drive.

At the very least the drive will be used and you can verify the smart functionality.

Since it's already been precleared, you would not need to preclear it for a rebuild operation.