Question about device limit on Plus License

skyhawk

Dumb question and I'm assuming that I already know the answer...

but If my Plus license allows me 8 drives on V6, that would mean I can have 6 storage, 1 parity, and 1 cache? (or 5/1/2, or whatever combo as long as it equals max 8 .)

I just wanted to confirm that would be correct and that cache and parity count towards the limit (which makes sense).

Also, that wouldn't limit me from having hot spares in the case, as (in theory) I could have 50 drives hooked up, and running preclears, and unraid doesnt care but it will only allow me to mount 8... correct?

I will be out of town for a few months for work, so i want to dummy proof unraid while I am gone so wifey has access to her tv and movies. While Ive been fortunate to never have a drive failure, pretty much all of my drives are hand-me-downs from retired pc's (so most in the 500GB range). Having a few ready-to-go hot spares is vital as no one in my family is capable of swapping a hard drive (nor trusted to put their slimy hands in my tower -- damn I need hot swap bays!). So, this way I can do it remotely (just disable 1 drive, replace with newer drive, parity fix to copy data).

I had a few errors on 1 drive last night, but I was trying to access it while my parity check had just started and I think it was a false error.. but i have a replacement coming anyways. I will also be replacing another drive with another hand-me-down, but its a 2 year old (1.5tb) drive with little use. My total array is only 3TB of data (will be around 5.5TB total space once new drive shows up). While Id love to just throw all new drives in it, my budget doesnt really allow for it at the moment.

Thanks

Assuming you actually mean Plus license instead of Pro, you have it right except it is possible to "mount" drives yourself. unRAID management and unRAID license does not consider any drive you mount yourself, either from the command line or with the SNAP plugin.

Assuming you actually mean Plus license instead of Pro, you have it right except it is possible to "mount" drives yourself. unRAID management and unRAID license does not consider any drive you mount yourself, either from the command line or with the SNAP plugin.

Updated my wording, but you are correct. I meant Plus (not Pro).

I read about SNAP yesterday and was curious about this with the drive limits too.. so thanks for answering that.

I wont be doing much from the command line as my linux skills are limited to whatever people have posted. Its enough to get by, but definitely appreciate that unraid is getting more and more user friendly with time, with less need for command line (except that pesky preclear script that I need to try for the first time tonight). I appreciate that people like to have full control on the command line, but the general NAS using public wants a 'simplified' version IMO.

For now, this statement is correct, no matter which license you have.

Also, that wouldn't limit me from having hot spares in the case, as (in theory) I could have 50 drives hooked up, and running preclears, and unraid doesnt care

Apparently that may change in the future, or so I've heard.

Apparently that may change in the future, or so I've heard.

while that would be sad, limetech is one company that Im ok with supporting with my dollars. my server has been running for some 5 years now and my total contribution to LT is around $100

Just to "future proof" your drive counts, you may want to upgrade your license to Pro ($59).

Before doing that, however, you may also want to take advantage of the extra key for $30 offer, which is still good but is likely to expire very soon (at the end of the Beta phase ... and I suspect RC1 is VERY close).    Note that the upgrade fee allows you to upgrade TWO licenses to Pro.

Just to "future proof" your drive counts, you may want to upgrade your license to Pro ($59).

Before doing that, however, you may also want to take advantage of the extra key for $30 offer, which is still good but is likely to expire very soon (at the end of the Beta phase ... and I suspect RC1 is VERY close).    Note that the upgrade fee allows you to upgrade TWO licenses to Pro.

I did the extra key this week actually. My server was DOA after a battle of adding a new cache, which resulted in a hard shutdown, which resulted in clearing the BIOS, which resulted in no IP. Since it was old, I just swapped it with my desktop and Ill be using my laptop. And the extra USB helped out. I originally tried to boot the new setup on 5.0.6 and it wouldnt load the OS. I tried my backup v6 USB and it booted right up. Ill be sticking with v6. Not much has changed (for my needs) that would cause instability or issues while Im gone.

I mailed Tomm to check on that still being valid, did not hear back from him though.. Canyou point me to the thread where I might find this ?

I mailed Tomm to check on that still being valid, did not hear back from him though.. Canyou point me to the thread where I might find this ?

Note Skyhawk's post above -- he just bought one.  As I noted earlier, this is going to expire with the release of RC1, and I doubt there will be any advance notification of that, so if you want one, buy it NOW !!

Here's where you buy it:  http://lime-technology.com/second-key/