Restarting WebGUI

Periodically the webUI will freeze, but the rest of the system stays responsive (shares / telnet in etc).

Is there a simple way to restart the gui - I'm in 6.0b14 at the moment.

I've had a search through forums and have not found anything that worked.

Tried this but no go

killall emhttp
nohup emhttp >/dev/null 2>&1 &

Thanks

I've never had this problem ever since the 4.4 days so I really have to wonder just what exactly you're doing that causes it.

happened to me today. i couldnt get sickbeard to see my folders, and I was having other issues with setting up containers. Figured that Id just install plugins and run those for a bit until I could better research the containers.

anyways, the sickbeard plugin either installed (from the install tab on the webgui) or didnt, and the tab froze. came back in a bit and i couldnt get the webgui to work at all. only a blank page would load. if i hit up the IP for my server in firefox (or chrome) it would ask me for the username and password, but then only load a blank page.

waited a few hours, nothing changed. tried on a few devices. putty worked. console worked. gui was dead.

I've never had this problem ever since the 4.4 days so I really have to wonder just what exactly you're doing that causes it.

happened to me today. i couldnt get sickbeard to see my folders, and I was having other issues with setting up containers. Figured that Id just install plugins and run those for a bit until I could better research the containers

One of the reasons that containers were introduced was that plugins can easily cause system instability.  This is likely to get worse going forward as it is highly likely that plugin developers going forward are not going to maintain them against new unRAID releases. 

I would have thought that the thing to do is resolve your issues with setting up your containers as you would get more support that way.  Others have them working fine so it is almost certainly just a configuration issue (perhaps an understanding on how containers handle mapping to external resources) that was stopping you from proceeding.

happened to me today. i couldnt get sickbeard to see my folders, and I was having other issues with setting up containers. Figured that Id just install plugins and run those for a bit until I could better research the containers

One of the reasons that containers were introduced was that plugins can easily cause system instability.  This is likely to get worse going forward as it is highly likely that plugin developers going forward are not going to maintain them against new unRAID releases. 

I would have thought that the thing to do is resolve your issues with setting up your containers as you would get more support that way.  Others have them working fine so it is almost certainly just a configuration issue (perhaps an understanding on how containers handle mapping to external resources) that was stopping you from proceeding.

Im going to create a thread today in regards to my setup and container issues. basic issue is that I cant find my shares and files in sickbeard when trying to setup the initial config. I have the cache and /mnt/user/tv setup in the container. but ill post screen shots and see if people can help. I was just over-eager to get things 'working' since a hardware and lack of free time has kept my tower offline for about 4 weeks now.

I agree that plugin stability is a concern, which is why i just wanted to set it up temporarily to get some of the wife's media downloading.

once i deleted the plugin, unraid worked again. luckily the console was giving an error the indicated there was an issue with sickbeard (on boot) so it was easy to figure out.

but, as a linux noob (but 4-5 years with unraid), my only complaint with unraid is that the learning curve is not intuitive for those without linux knowledge. luckily the forums are absolutely full of help and a search will help most issues, and it definitely has gotten better since v4. I think/hope as they better monetize unraid (not a bad thing) that the wiki and tutorials continue to get better (ive seen decent progress so far).

• 7 months later...

I've had this problem well into version 5 as well as version 6.  Basically, you click a function in the GUI and the page occasional never finishes loading.  From there on out, no web page will ever load again even if your other installed web applications that are working just fine.  I few cases the page load finished 3 hours later and the WebGUI responds again but that's rare.  For example, I had to stop a docker and the page never completed.  Web GUI has been down all day.  I also have a hard time shutting down clean when this happens. /etc/rc.d/rc.unRAID Stop seems to hang.  I almost always have to to a forceful reboot and a parity check afterwards

This was indeed an issue with v4.7, but there was a process whereby you could safely restart the GUI.

In v5 it also occurred periodically (although not as much) ... but there was no way to restart it.  The best approach was to ensure you had the Clean Powerdown plugin installed, and just press the power switch to do a clean shutdown.    [This USUALLY worked fine]

I've not seen this issue with any regularity with v6 ... especially with the final release.    The first thing I'd do before trying to isolate this is upgrade to the current v6.1.3 version.  The GUI for this has been VERY reliable ... although it does sometimes take 10-20 seconds to respond (most of the time it's nearly instantaneous).

I've not seen this issue with any regularity with v6 ... especially with the final release.    The first thing I'd do before trying to isolate this is upgrade to the current v6.1.3 version.  The GUI for this has been VERY reliable ... although it does sometimes take 10-20 seconds to respond (most of the time it's nearly instantaneous).

In my experience, the only time I've seen the GUI become unresponsive for 10-20 seconds is when the GUI is actually doing something else.  IE: Go into the plugin tab and leave it before it finishes populating the list.  Or start a docker container and then try and leave the docker tab before the container is actually started, etc.  Or occasionally during a large file transfer using a low-end CPU and a realtek NIC (which is 100% software driven)