[unRAID 6 beta14+] Unassigned Devices [former Auto Mount USB]

Now if gfjardim wants to add a badblocks option (with the -w option), plus a zeroing pass and a Preclear signature write, plus a possible test pass (check the Preclear signature and all zeroes on rest of drive), and grab before and after SMART reports, then you would have a built in Preclear!

badblocks in write mode does a full write of a pattern, then a full read of the pattern.

I'm not sure a full test pass after the signature is needed.

Although I personally like to do a smart long test so there is a time stamp in the smart logs.

I have a batch based shell job that does most of this without the preclear signature part.

My job runs via batch/at with periodic status updates via customized badblocks patch to syslog.

it scrapes syslog on end of job which then gets mailed to the user via ssmtp configuration.

Given that the pid is stored in /var/run, a plugin php monitor program could use that value to scrape the syslog for periodic output.

The only patch I haven't finished for the badblocks is a MB/s readout so you can see the performance of the sweep.

FAQ updated:

Q) Is this plugin suitable to mount a disk that can be used to store VMs or Docker images?

A) Right now (v6 beta15), there's a race condition between those services and this plugin. LT will postpone Docker and VMs to a latter event, so there won't be any problems. I'll keep you posted about this.

PS: Since unRAID v6.0-rc1, it's safe to use a disk managed by this plugin to store VM's and Docker images.

FAQ updated:

Q) Is this plugin suitable to mount a disk that can be used to store VMs or Docker images?

A) Right now (v6 beta15), there's a race condition between those services and this plugin. LT will postpone Docker and VMs to a latter event, so there won't be any problems. I'll keep you posted about this.

PS: Since unRAID v6.0-rc1, it's safe to use a disk managed by this plugin to store VM's and Docker images.

Just removed all my mount commands in the "go" file and started using this plugin to manage my VM disks. All I can say is bravo! This makes life so much better.

FAQ updated:

Just removed all my mount commands in the "go" file and started using this plugin to manage my VM disks. All I can say is bravo! This makes life so much better.

Yes, it does. Tom was very helpful and receptive about this. Remember to thank him.

ok, if i can help with testing, just let me know :)

Just issued a new version, see if it helps in your case.

thanks!

looks like everything is ok right now, i can see my boot device under unassigned devices and can mount it successfully!

happy days :) :)

FAQ updated:

Yes, it does. Tom was very helpful and receptive about this. Remember to thank him.

I wonder if you could elaborate on the new unRAID events? I posted here. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=34970.msg374978.msg#374978

FAQ updated:

Did you just point all your vm's to the where this plugin mounts your drive? Under ADD in the script I create a symlink "domains" under/mnt pointing to $MOUNTPOINT. So all my vm's still point to/mnt/domains. Just wondering if there's a better way.

I changed the mount points of all my mounted disks.

1) /mnt/vmdisk

2) /mnt/vmdisk-2

Is that what you were asking? I was a little confused by the question.

Sort of. How did you get your disk to mount @ /mnt/vmdisk with this plugin.

1) /mnt/vmdisk

2) /mnt/vmdisk-2

Take a look into the OP demo video, 0:37sec.

1) /mnt/vmdisk

2) /mnt/vmdisk-2

Haha thanks. I never watch the videos.

1) /mnt/vmdisk

2) /mnt/vmdisk-2

+1  ;D The video was very helpful and informative!

is it possible, that this plugin can't handle external esata hdd? it works after a reinstall with USB thumbs but my reiserfs formatted esata drive is still missing. repluging didn't help. any ideas? i can mount it with terminal commands

I have just tried this.  A sata drive inserted into an external esata bay, or an internal sata bay, is not recognised.  However, a usb drive is recognised and mounted automatically.

This also applies to the new preclear plugin which, I presume, is using similar code.  This makes the preclear plugin somewhat less useful.

I used to be able to hot-plug a sata drive and preclear it.  This no longer seems possible - I suspect that this is due to changes in the unRAID drive handling code.

is it possible, that this plugin can't handle external esata hdd? it works after a reinstall with USB thumbs but my reiserfs formatted esata drive is still missing. repluging didn't help. any ideas? i can mount it with terminal commands

I have just tried this.  A sata drive inserted into an external esata bay, or an internal sata bay, is not recognised.  However, a usb drive is recognised and mounted automatically.

This also applies to the new preclear plugin which, I presume, is using similar code.  This makes the preclear plugin somewhat less useful.

I used to be able to hot-plug a sata drive and preclear it.  This no longer seems possible - I suspect that this is due to changes in the unRAID drive handling code.

Please, you both, send me the output of ls -lah /dev/disk/by-id. If you can, please point me out the drive you're hot plugging.

Thanks.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 May 18 11:28 ata-Hitachi_HTS545025B9SA02_090524PBC200QSGVZ8PG -> ../../sde

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 18 11:28 ata-Hitachi_HTS545025B9SA02_090524PBC200QSGVZ8PG-part1 -> ../../sde1

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 May 18 11:28 ata-SAMSUNG_470_Series_SSD_S0SUNEAB400975 -> ../../sdf

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 18 11:28 ata-SAMSUNG_470_Series_SSD_S0SUNEAB400975-part1 -> ../../sdf1

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 May 18 11:28 ata-ST3000DM001-9YN166_Z1F1A22L -> ../../sdb

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 18 11:28 ata-ST3000DM001-9YN166_Z1F1A22L-part1 -> ../../sdb1

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 May 18 11:28 ata-ST3000DM001-9YN166_Z1F1BQLZ -> ../../sdc

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 18 11:28 ata-ST3000DM001-9YN166_Z1F1BQLZ-part1 -> ../../sdc1

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 May 18 11:28 ata-WDC_WD20EARS-00S8B1_WD-WCAVY4024527 -> ../../sdd

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 18 11:28 ata-WDC_WD20EARS-00S8B1_WD-WCAVY4024527-part1 -> ../../sdd1

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 May 18 11:28 usb-SanDisk_Cruzer_Fit_4C530009070216105094-0:0 -> ../../sda

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 18 11:28 usb-SanDisk_Cruzer_Fit_4C530009070216105094-0:0-part1 -> ../../sda1

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 May 18 11:28 wwn-0x5000c5004e6234bb -> ../../sdb

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 18 11:28 wwn-0x5000c5004e6234bb-part1 -> ../../sdb1

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 May 18 11:28 wwn-0x5000c5004e8a6db3 -> ../../sdc

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 18 11:28 wwn-0x5000c5004e8a6db3-part1 -> ../../sdc1

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 May 18 11:28 wwn-0x5000cca59acc4351 -> ../../sde

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 18 11:28 wwn-0x5000cca59acc4351-part1 -> ../../sde1

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 May 18 11:28 wwn-0x50014ee2049c694d -> ../../sdd

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 18 11:28 wwn-0x50014ee2049c694d-part1 -> ../../sdd1

i want to mount sde1

• Squid locked this topic