[unRAID 6 beta14+] Unassigned Devices [former Auto Mount USB]

Guys, I'm working on another project right now, so I will slow down this a bit, but any major bugfixes will be addressed, ok?

When I come back, I'll modularize the code, so NFS/IMG/ISO/DVD mounts will be possible, alright?

Thanks a lot for understanding.

Another Project - anything interesting?

Guys, I'm working on another project right now, so I will slow down this a bit, but any major bugfixes will be addressed, ok?

When I come back, I'll modularize the code, so NFS/IMG/ISO/DVD mounts will be possible, alright?

Simplify Docker .

Simplify Docker .

Woah, you like to tackle the "little things" don't you! I'll watch with interest, you do some great work man!

I'm sorry if this is obvious and I'm somehow missing it. I just added and pre-cleared a new 1TB drive that I would like to keep outside of the array. Is there somewhere in this plugin to create and format a new partition? I would like it to just be one XFS partition, and to use it for ISO storage for a mythtv KVM, and for mythtv recordings. Do I still need to stop the array and format it the way you used to in unRAID 5?

I'm sorry if this is obvious and I'm somehow missing it. I just added and pre-cleared a new 1TB drive that I would like to keep outside of the array. Is there somewhere in this plugin to create and format a new partition? I would like it to just be one XFS partition, and to use it for ISO storage for a mythtv KVM, and for mythtv recordings. Do I still need to stop the array and format it the way you used to in unRAID 5?

Look about 5 posts up!

I did read that, I just thought there must be some obvious thing I was missing. It would be great to be able to do this through the GUI, but thanks for the quick response. This is a fantastic plugin, no doubt! Thanks for the work. This works REALLY well for the purposes of storing a VM ISO image, and works perfectly for mythtv recording storage formatted to XFS (as stated by mythtuntu as the best filesystem for video storage purposes). It starts right before the VMs and Docker, and stops just after. Wonderful!  ;D  That would be my only suggestion, some option of creating partitions and formatting (choosing FS, etc) through the GUI would make this perfect. And the ease of use of not having to use the command line (as more of more of unRAID is becoming, YAY!) I'm sure would be welcome to many.

I did read that, I just thought there must be some obvious thing I was missing. It would be great to be able to do this through the GUI, but thanks for the quick response. This is a fantastic plugin, no doubt! Thanks for the work. This works REALLY well for the purposes of storing a VM ISO image, and works perfectly for mythtv recording storage formatted to XFS (as stated by mythtuntu as the best filesystem for video storage purposes). It starts right before the VMs and Docker, and stops just after. Wonderful!  ;D  That would be my only suggestion, some option of creating partitions and formatting (choosing FS, etc) through the GUI would make this perfect. And the ease of use of not having to use the command line (as more of more of unRAID is becoming, YAY!) I'm sure would be welcome to many.

I asked about this two several pages back. The plugin itself doesn't have the capability to partition or format. Would need to do all that via the command line. I think that ability is closely related to this plugin and should be built in but that's up to the programmer.

Great Plugin . Is there a way to assign share permissions? Im using this plugin to store downloads from a JDownloader Docker. It works great except the downloads are visible to anybody browsing the network . Is there a way to set permissions on the shared folder?

There seems to be an issue with v6.1-rc1.  I have to click the "Rescan Disks" each time I go to the "Unassigned Devices" page to see the devices.

Yep, can confirm, also don't seem to be able to edit the shares name like I think I could previously.  ???

• 2 weeks later...

[Apologies for cross-post between the two associated features.]

Curious if anyone else has found this issue:

I had been using SNAP to mount a disk outside of my array onto which I put my friend's CrashPlan backup. Was working fine for many months. So of course I decide to change from SNAP to Unassigned Devices. It seemed to mount perfectly fine to /mnt/disks/CP_[friend_name] and I could see the file system via terminal. I had the docker container map the volume as it had been, from /mnt/disks/CP_[friend_name] to /CP_[friend_name]. But when CrashPlan tried to back up to it, it ran out of space, which made no sense since it's a 4 TB disk with initially 2 TB of data on it (and then 0 data on it when I wiped the file system and put on a new one). It looked like CrashPlan was writing to the docker container file system, to a folder it made called disks/CP_[friend_name]. Of course it ran out of space after about 2.5 GB since I'm pretty sure it hit the docker image limit.

Here's where it gets interesting. When I stopped using Unassigned Devices to mount it and instead just mounted it manually in the go file, CrashPlan worked fine and used the disk like it should.

Anyway, anyone else have experience using Unassigned Devices to mount a disk outside of the array for use as a CrashPlan destination?

Thanks,

TD

Anyway, anyone else have experience using Unassigned Devices to mount a disk outside of the array for use as a CrashPlan destination?

Could this be a problem of crashplan being launched before the destination drive is mounted?  How are you running crashplan - plugin or docker.  Is it being launched automatically at system startup?

Could this be a problem of crashplan being launched before the destination drive is mounted?  How are you running crashplan - plugin or docker.  Is it being launched automatically at system startup?

I thought about that, so I tried stopping CrashPlan docker, not auto-starting it, and then manually starting it after booting with Unassigned Devices mounting the disk. That still didn't work.

Am I able to use this plugin to both :

1. Store an ISO to load in KVM

2. Map a path to an outside of the array disk, that will be a share used inside of the vm?

I'm also interested in mapping a path from a VM to an outside-of-the-array disk, but I don't see the options shown in this post. Is there a new method for this?

In my VM (Win10), I can "Map a network drive" but I question if that is the best method.

What are best practices?

Thanks, Richard

I'm unable to map a smb to my other unraid server. The Add SMB share pop up comes up and after hitting the add button nothing seems to happen. Also nothing in /var/log/unassigned.devices.log. Just installed 6.1-rc2.

EDIT: Must be to do with my smb password that contains a semi-colon as trying another user without any odd characters works.

Is there some way to delay the mounting of smb mounts with this plugin?

For some reason, my onboard RealTek NIC is producing traces in the log (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42116.msg400213#msg400213) , likely bad hardware or something. In short sometimes my network does not come up on boot with the RealTek. I guess no other choice but to disable it in the BIOS.

Now, I'm using an Intel dual NIC card and have configured one port as a bridge (such that I can use it for other VMs) and I've noticed that the IP configuration/assignment (set as static in network settings) is delayed at boot for some reason, which in turn probably affect the unassigned devices plugin from mounting the smb mounts.Now they no longer mount at boot...

And what is the boot sequence, I mean do the dockers/vm autostart start after this plugin?

I currently use UDEV via my ownsetup to mount disks via a USB3 stage rack.

What I do differently I think is that the mount point and share is based on the cradle slot and not the disk id e.g. /mnt/usbslot1 and /mnt/usbslot2

For me this is very useful because I dont care so much for disk id based mount point and shares as all I want to know if i put a disk in slot 1 it mounts as slot 1.

The tricky part is finding the udev string match to make sure this happens.

This approach isnt for everyone but some may find it helpful. Would it be of any interest as a future enhancement to this addon?

NAS, the mount point is only a suggestion. In fact, the order is: user mount point, label or id.

One can always change the mount point if they wishes.

I currently use UDEV via my ownsetup to mount disks via a USB3 stage rack.

What I do differently I think is that the mount point and share is based on the cradle slot and not the disk id e.g. /mnt/usbslot1 and /mnt/usbslot2

For me this is very useful because I dont care so much for disk id based mount point and shares as all I want to know if i put a disk in slot 1 it mounts as slot 1.

The tricky part is finding the udev string match to make sure this happens.

This approach isnt for everyone but some may find it helpful. Would it be of any interest as a future enhancement to this addon?

Any one else have their cache drive show up as an "Unassigned Drive"?  :o

Other points of interest regarding this, every reboot of unraid my assigned cache drive isn't automatically selected since changing from spinner to ssd.

Put your flash in your PC and let it checkdisk.

Any one else have their cache drive show up as an "Unassigned Drive"?  :o

Other points of interest regarding this, every reboot of unraid my assigned cache drive isn't automatically selected since changing from spinner to ssd.

I had the same symptoms after changing cache drive from one SSD to another. Seems like unRAID doesn't want to forget about the first cache device. I had to stop array, un-assign cache device, start array, stop array, assign new cache, and start array again.

I don't think I had this plugin installed, but I'm not absolutely sure.

• Squid locked this topic