[unRAID 6 beta14+] Unassigned Devices [former Auto Mount USB]

The "MAIN" page is the MAIN tab in unRAID's UI that shows all of your drives in a list. When the page is loaded in a browser window, all drive info except under the Unassigned Devices section comes up immediately. A small spinning icon appears under the unassigned devices tab while it proceeds to spin up all devices that are not currently mounted or in use by something else. Then when the drive statistics for the unassigned devices do appear, all drives are green and spun up with temperatures reported. So, if you have a formatted, pre-cleared, and unused device, every time the "MAIN" tab in unraid's UI is loaded, any drive under the unassigned devices section spins up. I tried to keep a warm spare this way, and found I could not as it spun up constantly instead of staying spun down and pre-cleared until it needed assigned to the array. It is the same issue as described here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38635.msg426749;topicseen#msg426749

and here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38635.msg416013;topicseen#msg416013

The drives being managed by the Unassigned Devices plugin do in fact spindown after whatever the set time is. However, they spin up again every time the MAIN tab is pressed and the drives are listed. Unlike the array devices, which remain spun down (if not in use) and do not report temperature. 

If that was corrected then unRAID would finally indeed have a viable "warm spare" option. I don't know how many users would like this as I would. But anyone with a remote system they can't get to ASAP I'm sure would appreciate being able to initiate a drive rebuild immediately instead of having to wait for a drive to pre-clear. Or having to physically install an already pre-cleared drive. If there is in fact some reason that this plugin needs to spin up drives and this is expected behavior, then would it be possible to designate one (or more) drives as a "warm spare" ? A drive that would remain undisturbed and not spun up until this status was removed or something along those lines?

I have a question regarding the SMB share.

I have a NAS drive and its IP is setup as 192.168.1.55

When I mount it, it mounts as /mnt/disks/192.168.1.55.disk1-1

I changed the mounting name to /mnt/disks/dlink1-1

I can see it in unRAID via the WebGUI and I can browse it via command line

I went into settings: Enable SMB security

Changed it to yes and set my user name to ReadOnly

my user/pass are on both unRAID and the NAS and they happen to be the exact so it shouldn't matter 

When I view my shares it doesn't show and even if I change the mount point from /mnt/disks/dlink1-1 to /mnt/user/dlink1-1

I'm sure I'm missing a crucial setting and honestly I'm just kinda playing around seeing I can access the NAS drive directly, but was trying to see if this works thru unRAID.  I'm honestly just going to run some rync now and then to my NAS drive, but why not play if you can.

my user/pass are on both unRAID and the NAS and they happen to be the exact so it shouldn't matter 

When I view my shares it doesn't show and even if I change the mount point from /mnt/disks/dlink1-1 to /mnt/user/dlink1-1

I'm sure I'm missing a crucial setting and honestly I'm just kinda playing around seeing I can access the NAS drive directly, but was trying to see if this works thru unRAID.  I'm honestly just going to run some rync now and then to my NAS drive, but why not play if you can.

I don't think you can expect to have SMB shares show up as unRAID user shares or get unRAID to share SMB shares if that is what you are trying to do. User shares takes place at a lower level than I think this plugin does or even should work.

Your right I wasn't exactly expecting it to... Just see what does what and how/why this works.

I'm assuming you can only SMB share out other unassigned drives other than SMB connected drives?

I've spent roughly 20minutes playing with this plugin so I'm trying to grasp exactly what it does. None the less its pretty cool, but just learning some. ;)

Ah this is kinda interesting.

I mounted my Networked SMB share from a Dlink-323 NAS box to an existing User share and it popped up as a folder in that share.

For example I have a Movie share so I mounted it to my /user/Movie/ folder and walla there it is.

\\tower\Movies\dlink1-1

So you cant mount a Networked SMB share into unRAID via this Plugin as long as you have a share for it to be visable in. I'll tinker more later with this, but just pointing it out. ;)

One thing I did notice thou. No matter what my settings currently are I only have Read Only even though I have it set to Read/Write, but I'm only playing right now.

Now I simply created a user share dlink1-1 and mounted my NAS as /mnt/user/dlink1-1

Before I look all nuts and two excited for playing with this. This is my reasoning. Now I can mount a user share and no matter what device I have connected unRAID or my NAS box I can keep a user share up at least for now ReadONLY. Since I'm swapping drives around for an XFS conversion the misses still can look at her photos and whatever else without me having to worry about moving files offline. I have zero Idea on transfer speeds thou since I'm logged in using a screen sharing app several miles away from my house while I'm at work..  :o

I don't think you can expect to have SMB shares show up as unRAID user shares or get unRAID to share SMB shares if that is what you are trying to do. User shares takes place at a lower level than I think this plugin does or even should work.

An SMB Mount will show as an unraid share.  Why else would you do an SMB Share?  I have fixed in the next version.

Your right I wasn't exactly expecting it to... Just see what does what and how/why this works.

I'm assuming you can only SMB share out other unassigned drives other than SMB connected drives?

I've spent roughly 20minutes playing with this plugin so I'm trying to grasp exactly what it does. None the less its pretty cool, but just learning some. ;)

I intend for the SMB Shares to show in the unraid shares.  It wasn't working that way and I have it fixed.  If it isn't shared, what is an SMB Share for?

Hey dlandon, I just noticed that the latest version no longer allows me to see the smart values of my unassigned devices. Any chance you could add that back in?

Where did you see the smart values?  I assume in the latest gfjardim version.

I assume so, from "main" you could click the device "sda" and see the drive details just like if you clicked "disk1"

So I guess this plugin will just keep spinning up every drive it manages that isn't mounted ? Sorry, but I've posted more than once now and just keep getting ignored every time. Either this is indeed a bug or it's intended behavior and does in fact spin up every drive it manages for some reason. It would be great to even know what that reason is, so I can possibly find some other way of keeping a warm spare.

So I guess this plugin will just keep spinning up every drive it manages that isn't mounted ? Sorry, but I've posted more than once now and just keep getting ignored every time. Either this is indeed a bug or it's intended behavior and does in fact spin up every drive it manages for some reason. It would be great to even know what that reason is, so I can possibly find some other way of keeping a warm spare.

You aren't being ignored.  I do have a life.  This is a part time effort on my part with zero compensation.  The least you can do is to have a bit of patience.

I read your posts and understand the issue.  I am looking into it.

Hey dlandon, I just noticed that the latest version no longer allows me to see the smart values of my unassigned devices. Any chance you could add that back in?

I assume so, from "main" you could click the device "sda" and see the drive details just like if you clicked "disk1"

I'll look at gfjardim's last version and try to reproduce.

Much appreciated! I cannot thank you enough for taking the time over the last few weeks to keep on improving this.

That's all I needed :D thanks very much sir. And in no way am I trying to downgrade any pro-bono or otherwise work you're doing. I posted this a while back, waited quite some time, and got no response. Another person also posted with this issue, and got the same. All I was looking for was acknowledging that it was in fact an issue that will be looked at in whatever amount of time you see fit. Thanks again, very much.

I intend for the SMB Shares to show in the unraid shares.  It wasn't working that way and I have it fixed.  If it isn't shared, what is an SMB Share for?

I got it to work. I just had to make sure I added a share and mounted it to a share. Just wasn't perfectly clear at first, but knowing how unRAID works in general I was able to make it work. It was readonly, but it worked unless your fix takes care of that then even better.

I got it to work. I just had to make sure I added a share and mounted it to a share. Just wasn't perfectly clear at first, but knowing how unRAID works in general I was able to make it work. It was readonly, but it worked unless your fix takes care of that then even better.

That does work, but unassigned devices will do the share automatically now when it is mounted.  I just finished that fix and will look into the read only issue now.

Since you can

mkdir path-to-mount-point

then

mount .... path-to-mount-point

it makes sense that this would work. What I wonder about is what happens when path-to-mount-point is inside a user share as kizer is doing. This method is even in the wiki.

But how does unRAID treat this "folder" when it comes to calculating the free and used space in the user share, or when doing other things with the folder? What if you cache that user share and write to that folder within the user share, does it go to the cache drive or the external drive or where? If it does go to cache, where does it get moved to? Etc.

Since you can

then

it makes sense that this would work. What I wonder about is what happens when path-to-mount-point is inside a user share as kizer is doing. This method is even in the wiki.

But how does unRAID treat this "folder" when it comes to calculating the free and used space in the user share, or when doing other things with the folder? What if you cache that user share and write to that folder within the user share, does it go to the cache drive or the external drive or where? If it does go to cache, where does it get moved to? Etc.

Unassigned Devices and SMB Mounts are not mounted as unraid user shares (/mnt/user).  Unassigned Devices and SMB Mounts are mounted at /mnt/disks and are shared using the smb_extra configuration file.  The unassigned device and SMB Mount is shared and shows as an smb share, but unraid is not aware of it as a user share.

Mount a device and look at the /boot/config/smb-extra.conf file and you'll see an include that inserts the share properties of the device.  The include file is created by unassigned devices when the share is mounted and the share switch is turned on.  The include file is located at /etc/samba/unassigned-shares/.

Much appreciated! I cannot thank you enough for taking the time over the last few weeks to keep on improving this.

Added in the next release.

Since you can

then

Unassigned Devices and SMB Mounts are not mounted as unraid user shares (/mnt/user).  Unassigned Devices and SMB Mounts are mounted at /mnt/disks and are shared using the smb_extra configuration file.  The unassigned device and SMB Mount is shared and shows as an smb share, but unraid is not aware of it as a user share.

Mount a device and look at the /boot/config/smb-extra.conf file and you'll see an include that inserts the share properties of the device.  The include file is created by unassigned devices when the share is mounted and the share switch is turned on.  The include file is located at /etc/samba/unassigned-shares/.

I mostly knew all this but kizer is changing it from /mnt/disks/name-you-want-for-share to /mnt/user/share-that-he-created if I understand him correctly.

Added in the next release.

Wow that was quick, thank you!

Since you can

then

I mostly knew all this but kizer is changing it from /mnt/disks/name-you-want-for-share to /mnt/user/share-that-he-created if I understand him correctly.

Yes so it will show as a folder in my user shares. Otherwise I couldn't get it to show on my windows machine when I browsed my shares.

Like I said its not something I have to do or anybody else, but I'm always trying to see what I can get things to do even if they are not intended half the time.

I would like to know when a drive is Shared how do you view it/find it? A smb share that is mounted under /disks? I can find it in command line pretty easily.

• Squid locked this topic