New Server - Not Posting!!

jdubs

D@mn!  Took me forever to route the wiring on this thing (I do like the Cooler Master 590 Centurion case) and it won't even post for me on boot-up!

Asus P5Q Premium with 4gb of Corsair Dominator memory and Intel e5200 processor.  I guess, not post means its got to be a faulty one of these three pieces of hardware, right?

No video output, no beep....the fans (including the cpu fan) all work and you can hear the hard drives spin up so the ps (PC Power & Cooling 750) seems fine.  Also, the Reset and Power buttons on the motherboard work ok, too (nice feature of the Asus...on-motherboard reset and power buttons).

Any suggestions on what I should investigate would be greatly appreciated!!

-Jim

Are all of these brand new parts or are you re-using parts from another build?  Do you have any add-in cards installed in any slots and if so what cards in what slots?  What video card are you using?

If it was me, I would start with the following:

1.  Double check all the wired connections between the motherboard and the case (LED, Power Switch, Reset, etc).  Disconnect all Floppy, IDE, Sata connections - everything except CPU, Memory and Video.  Reboot.

2.  Plug the monitor into another PC and make sure it is working with the same video cable.

3.  Make sure the motherboard is securely installed in the case (all screws snug in all standoffs)

4.  Memory - I assume you have 2x2GB matched pair.  Re-seat the RAM and reboot (make sure you have installed in either the yellow or the black slots - not one of each).  If you tried yellow, try black next and reboot.  Still no go, try a single stick in the first yellow and reboot.  Then try a single stick in the first black slot and reboot.

5.  Video - Try your video card in each slot it will fit in.  Try a different video card.  If using PCIe try a PCI video card if you have one.

6.  CPU - Reseat the CPU and reboot.

7.  Still no go, reset the CMOS (see manual) and try the above steps 4&5 again.

If any of these cause you to post, first thing I would do after that is flash the bios to the latest available.  Then add back each other component one a time and let it post after each one, before adding the next.

Did you hook up both PSU cables (24 pin + 4/8 pin)?

Do you have a speaker hooked up to the MB.  Sometimes you get beeps if the computer fails very early in the POST process that can help you figure out what's happening.

I once had a PSU where one of the wires going into the 24 pin connector had pulled lose.  It was pretty easy to reclamp.  Pretty unlikely, but worth a look.

Guys, I finally got it to boot!!  I isolated the problem to one of the two ram sticks.  One works in all 4 locations while the other one does not work in any.  Oh well.  If it had to be a bad hardware issue, I'm glad its the ram. Easy enough to replace.  I've got two hard drives in there and it saw them both.  Thanks again for all the suggestions!!

Now I need to get it to work on my network.  I can't see it with the "//tower" in my brower.  I'm running a d-link gigabit router and I see the machine (but no name) just an ip address in d-link's software.  I tried to connect to the ip address via telnet to no avail.

Any ideas on this problem??

Guys, I finally got it to boot!!  I isolated the problem to one of the two ram sticks.  One works in all 4 locations while the other one does not work in any.  Oh well.  If it had to be a bad hardware issue, I'm glad its the ram. Easy enough to replace.  I've got two hard drives in there and it saw them both.  Thanks again for all the suggestions!!

Now I need to get it to work on my network.  I can't see it with the "//tower" in my brower.  I'm running a d-link gigabit router and I see the machine (but no name) just an ip address in d-link's software.  I tried to connect to the ip address via telnet to no avail.

Any ideas on this problem??

Most often on a new build, it is because you did not set the volume label on the flash drive to "UNRAID"  (6 characters, all upper-case)

Second possibility is your MB has multiple network interfaces, and you are plugged into the wrong one... or you have a bad Ethernet cable, or it is not plugged in all the way.

To help figure it out, log into the system console  (unless you changed it, user name is "root" with no password. ... press enter if prompted for a password. Press the enter key first if you do not see a login prompt)

and type the following commands and report back on their output:

ifconfig eth0

ethtool eth0

ethtool -i eth0

Then, Post a syslog... it will provide additional clues needed to figure out what is happening. Instructions in the wiki here

Joe L.