Node 804 - 11 data drives + parity + cache (room for more!!)

I'll add my experience to help anyone who stumbles upon this tread. 

I have the same case, and I have 8 drives in the drive bay side, and several NVM SSD on the motherboard. With a PCle adapter to add sata ports. 
I kept the original fans that came with the case, but then I was having cooling issues. 

I bought a 5 pack of fans and added as many as I could. Adding 4 fans on the front, was the biggest improvement, with all of my drives dropping by 10 degrees. 

I will be adding two drives on the motherboard side, but I want to try to find a way to add a fan under each drive. 

A sleeper which OP didn't touch on, is that you can add 2 2.5" drives on the front panel. So I will be adding drive to use for my camera there. 

So after this I will be left with 8 3.5" drives on the drive side, 2 3.5" drives on the motherboard side, 3 NVM drives on the motherboard, and 2 2.5" on the front panel. 
But this will truly max out this case. Then I will need find a way to incorporate external drives. 

• 7 months later...
On 8/3/2023 at 5:55 AM, Lolight said:

Did you use a 140mm exhaust fan on the back of the HDD's side?

I'll add to the discussion as well - just built a 116TB (available with 2 parity drives on top) system in this little bad boy :)

Managed this by going 4x12 + 4x10 + 1x12 (on the floor) in the drive chamber. Another 2x12 and 2x8 in the floor in the main chamber for a total of 13 3,5 drives. On top of this 2TB nvme and 4TB SSD for system/cache.

I'll try to add 2 additional SSDs for additional cache at a later stage.

• Upvote 1