X8SIL-F question - Fans detected 0 RPM - Help!!

Hi all,

I have a problem that i suspect is my board however i'm not sure what to do about it. Every so often my server will detect a fan as being 0 RPMs. It seems to get all of them. The fans never noticeably stop working, and two of the ports (4 & 5) aren't plugged in - Yet even these two suddenly get detected as 0 RPM (And then stay forever at 0RPM as they arent plugged into anything) - this is via the IPMI web interface

This happened after i moved from an old case into a new case, so i suspect i could have possibly done something whilst moving them. The server also makes a random 'warning siren' sound every so often, which i suspect is it thinking the fan is failing and then going off. This sound happens for anywhere from 2 to 20 seconds.

Is there anything i can do? Thank you for any help - The siren noise waking my SO up at 1am from the other room occasionally isn't boding well  :-[

vUJoFs2.png

2Z0dOmY.png

What else did you change?

Did you add new fans?

This issue is normal when upgrading IPMI Firmware without doing a factory reset.

Also this can happen when mixing 4pin PWN and 3Pin fans.

Thank you for the reply!

I had some 3pin fans inside the new case which were connected to Ports 2 & 3. With the rest being 4pin. I've disconnected them briefly (the 3 pin fans) to see if the problem persists. However Fan 4 has already gone through the same errors - so it seems like the problem is persisting even with only 4Pin PWM fans

1	2015/03/16 17:57:20	FAN 4	Fan	Lower Non-Critical - Going Low - Asserted
2	2015/03/16 17:57:20	FAN 4	Fan	Lower Critical - Going Low - Asserted
3	2015/03/16 17:57:20	FAN 4	Fan	Lower Non-Recoverable - Going Low - Asserted

I dont believe anything else has changed

I did a full IPMI reset. Still no change. I've also changed out the fans to all PWM fans now - still problems.

Incidentally i'm having problems with the reported speeds of my fans too. a 'sensors' command returns

root@jbox:/# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
CPU Temp:     +36.0 C  (high = +89.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)
Core 2:       +35.0 C  (high = +89.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)

jc42-i2c-0-19
Adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at 0400
temp1:        +28.0 C  (low  =  +0.0 C)                  ALARM (HIGH, CRIT)
                       (high =  +0.0 C, hyst =  +0.0 C)
                       (crit =  +0.0 C, hyst =  +0.0 C)

jc42-i2c-0-1a
temp1:        +27.0 C  (low  =  +0.0 C)                  ALARM (HIGH, CRIT)

jc42-i2c-0-1b
temp1:        +29.4 C  (low  =  +0.0 C)                  ALARM (HIGH, CRIT)

w83627dhg-isa-0a10
Adapter: ISA adapter
Vcore:        +1.08 V  (min =  +0.60 V, max =  +1.49 V)
in1:          +1.82 V  (min =  +1.62 V, max =  +1.99 V)
AVCC:         +3.28 V  (min =  +2.96 V, max =  +3.63 V)
+3.3V:        +3.28 V  (min =  +2.96 V, max =  +3.63 V)
in4:          +1.53 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +1.65 V)
in5:          +1.26 V  (min =  +1.13 V, max =  +1.38 V)
in6:          +1.46 V  (min =  +1.42 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
3VSB:         +3.28 V  (min =  +2.96 V, max =  +1.25 V)  ALARM
Vbat:         +3.12 V  (min =  +2.96 V, max =  +3.63 V)
Array Fan:    694 RPM  (min =  712 RPM, div =   ALARM
fan2:         493 RPM  (min = 12053 RPM, div = 16)  ALARM
fan4:         680 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, div =   ALARM
fan5:         685 RPM  (min =  712 RPM, div =   ALARM
temp1:        +30.0 C  (high = +60.0 C, hyst = +55.0 C)  sensor = thermistor
MB Temp:      +29.0 C  (high = +95.0 C, hyst = +92.0 C)  sensor = CPU diode
temp3:        +28.5 C  (high = +86.0 C, hyst = +75.0 C)  sensor = CPU diode
cpu0_vid:    +1.513 V
intrusion0:  OK

My CPU fan & backplane fans are daisy chained into fan1 port. Then my backplane fans are in fan2 fan3 and fan4. These are all 3000RPM fans at max speed, yet all showing totally wrong results in the sensors command (And wrong fan ports).

The IPMI interface shows them in the correct ports, although is also showing very low RPMs (all showing 585RPM). Could this be a driver error perhaps? I know i never had this problem on older versions of unraid with this MOBO. Although i cant say ive ever really looked at the sensors command before either since everything seemed fine

...as you did not see that problem before the re-build and you did a full IPMI reset now, I doubt that

this is related to IPMI/BIOS version, which is usually causing that effect.

I'd rather think that this is an electrical problem of some sort.

Does the board really fit into the new case?..mount holes and stand-ups and such aligned and whatnot?

Can you put a non-conducting washer (is that the right word/thing?...sorry, no native english speaker here) between stand-ups and mobo?

Same problem here, and I ended up removing the jumper that enables the buzzer... But I'm convinced that there is a solution and that, with the help of some experts, we can work out the problem. In the internet I found this page: http://www.spinics.net/lists/lm-sensors/msg31023.html . As you can read, there is some incompatibility between IPMI drivers and unRaid ones which causes a variation in the thresholds. I tried the command "sensor -s" and the Alarm on the battery voltage went away, but not the one on the CPU fan (which in my case is not even connected). Ford Prefect do you spot anything interesting from the site I linked?

So i decided to totally rewire my case. I have a non modular PSU so there are quite a few redundant cables hanging around near the PSU. I noticed one of the cables had snuck under a corner of the motherboard. So i rewired and cable tied all my cables and tidied it all up so there is zero chance of any cables falling onto anything. I then resat the mobo into the mount holes to ensure it was fully installed.

Since i did all of this my IPMI interface now shows the fan speeds as correct !!! And also i haven't had any beeping as of yet. (Every other thing i tried the beeping returned within a few hours - been about 8 hours so far with no errors) Now i seem to have a problem of none of my sensors being loaded into unraid (sensors command shows No sensors found!), but i uninstalled two plugins (Dynamix fan control and system temp so i suspect this is why as the sensors probably arent loaded) however i can deal with that.

So as of now my full 'fix' was

1) all 4Pin fans

2) all Fans connected directly to mobo (3 fans are daisy chained - working fine)

3) IPMI upgrade to latest firmware & reset

4) Rewire all power/data cables so non are anywhere near the mobo except where they directly connect (And then only the head is near. They all go straight down)

5) Turned off IPMI power entirely whilst rewiring to let IPMI sensors reset

UPDATE

Okay, so i was loading up my sensors and now as soon as i loaded the sensors in for the fans, within a few minutes suddenly i have a failed Fan 5 and now my IPMI sensor is showing the RPM as 6k for my fans (completely wrong!) I suspect that its actually unraid messing with the sensors now - So stopping unraid from loading them should stop it from working (So no System Temp/ Fan auto control plugins for dynamix, or any other sensor using plugin) It ran perfectly well, and kept the sensor data in IPMI correct for the whole time until the sensors were loaded using

modprobe w83627ehf

So now i suspect that it is actually this causing the issue, and the only reason it was 'fixed' was by me removing the plugins and restarting unraid (Meaning the sensors were unloaded, and then not reloaded on startup like normal)

...interesting finds  ??? !!

I can only tell that I've seen these errors *without* loading a sensors module for the board in unRAID at that time.

Well, I have used unRAID inside a VM with vt-d/passthough and an ESXi setup back then and IPMI was fully managed by ESXi (v4 and above).

These kind of problems only showed on two occasions for me:

- when I upgraded BIOS and/or IPMI and *not* doing a full IPMI reset

- upon changing cabling of fans or when moving the board into a new case.

My X8SIL-F has long retired as my NAS...it is now my workstation (added a PCIex1 GPU card and I now have a Win8.1pro system with 32GB req-ECC  ;D ).

The problem did not show for the last two years (but I did not change/flash BIOS/IPMI-FW or HW-setup) since then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
On 3/20/2015 at 5:17 AM, Njon said:

Same problem here, and I ended up removing the jumper that enables the buzzer... But I'm convinced that there is a solution and that, with the help of some experts, we can work out the problem. In the internet I found this page: http://www.spinics.net/lists/lm-sensors/msg31023.html . As you can read, there is some incompatibility between IPMI drivers and unRaid ones which causes a variation in the thresholds. I tried the command "sensor -s" and the Alarm on the battery voltage went away, but not the one on the CPU fan (which in my case is not even connected). Ford Prefect do you spot anything interesting from the site I linked?

Do you know which buzzer enables / disables the buzzer? It wakes up my kid!