Additional Drives Opened Up?

So I just upgraded one of my servers from a 5.0.5 server with a plus key to 6b14 using same key.

I performed a stop array today and noticed I can select a drive for all 20 something slots.

My plus key was only for 7 total.

I don't have any drive to add nor do I currently need to. Which is the reason I never went to Pro yet.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that if I add an 8th or N'th drive it'll have a data cap placed on it until I upgrade my key?

So I just upgraded one of my servers from a 5.0.5 server with a plus key to 6b14 using same key.

I performed a stop array today and noticed I can select a drive for all 20 something slots.

I don't have any drive to add nor do I currently need to. Which is the reason I never went to Pro yet.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that if I add an 8th or N'th drive it'll have a data cap placed on it until I upgrade my key?

As of beta 14, we upped plus to 8 drives instead of 7. You'll see far more slots than your license allows, but if you assign more than 8 on plus, the array won't start.

As of beta 14, we upped plus to 8 drives instead of 7. You'll see far more slots than your license allows, but if you assign more than 8 on plus, the array won't start.

Wouldn't it be better to only list the slots your license allows? Why the regression? Does it at least tell you why the array wont start and the actual amount of slots you are allowed?

Wouldn't it be better to only list the slots your license allows? Why the regression? Does it at least tell you why the array wont start and the actual amount of slots you are allowed?

You're probably right.  We might make adjustments to this before we go to final.  It just hasn't been important enough to address up till this point.

You're probably right.  We might make adjustments to this before we go to final.  It just hasn't been important enough to address up till this point.

One caveat ... some people assign their disks in a non-continuous way, for different reasons. Limiting the number of slots may conflict with such an assignment.

One caveat ... some people assign their disks in a non-continuous way, for different reasons. Limiting the number of slots may conflict with such an assignment.

Can you explain what you mean? So if I have a plus key that allows 8 slots you want it to still show 26 so that I can assign one to slot 25 and one to slot 2? What does it matter as I will still only be allowed a total of 8 slots? I don't think "slots" apply to any particular port so it doesn't really matter if I assign a disk to slot 8 or slot 25, might as well show the correct amount of slots allowed by the license.

Can you explain what you mean? So if I have a plus key that allows 8 slots you want it to still show 26 so that I can assign one to slot 25 and one to slot 2? What does it matter as I will still only be allowed a total of 8 slots? I don't think "slots" apply to any particular port so it doesn't really matter if I assign a disk to slot 8 or slot 25, might as well show the correct amount of slots allowed by the license.

I can see a case for both points of view.  Some people like to leave gaps and others do not.  I can certainly see a case for leaving gaps if you are thinking of later upgrading from a plus to a pro license.

What might be sensible is to start with the number of slots visible determined by the license, but allow the user to change this if they happen to want gaps in the assignments?

I can see a case for both points of view.  Some people like to leave gaps and others do not.  I can certainly see a case for leaving gaps if you are thinking of later upgrading from a plus to a pro license.

What might be sensible is to start with the number of slots visible determined by the license, but allow the user to change this if they happen to want gaps in the assignments?

I have left gaps before (not currently) but that was always with a pro license and it was when I had one server containing files from multiple recording PCs.  It allowed me to add more drives to each grouping of drives for their respective recording PC.  Plus has a smaller number of drives and I wouldn't even think of using gaps with that.  So for me I would prefer just showing the number of drives each license supports since I am using a plus license for my system backups server and pro for all of the other servers.