[REQUEST] basic built in disk copy feature

Would it be a tall order to have some form of built in disk copy process, i have found myself having to convert my array from RFS to XFS in order to trouble shoot issues i have been having with the server crashing, i do not know enough to be able to implement it myself even though i am given a great deal of help from a member on here, its not something i wanted to do, my hand has been forced as it has been suggested that RFS is causing the problem..a simple script that would copy drive A to drive B with verification and then removal of files from drive A so you could then format drive A and start again copying drive C to drive A and so on.

...i have found myself having to convert my array from RFS to XFS in order to trouble shoot issues i have been having with the server crashing,... my hand has been forced as it has been suggested that RFS is causing the problem..

is there another post that has this information, if so please advise.

...i have found myself having to convert my array from RFS to XFS in order to trouble shoot issues i have been having with the server crashing,... my hand has been forced as it has been suggested that RFS is causing the problem..

is there another post that has this information, if so please advise.

try this...., im not holding my breath its the RFS causing the problem..i think more the dockers..or perhaps a disk that has bad blocks when a certain docker, ie sabnzb is writing to a disk..though smart tests seem to say all is well..it was offered up as a solotion and i was/am pretty much at my wits end i had to try this array conversion to XFS if not only to rule it out

Reading through your other thread, it's not at all clear to me that Reiser is the cause of your issue; but it certainly won't hurt to confirm that.

If I was going to convert my disks to XFS, I'd do the following:

(1)  Be sure my backups were all current.

(2)  Reformat all my disks to XFS (this would delete all the data).

(3)  Copy all the data back to the array from my backups.

If you don't have a good set of backups, then you could modify this as follows:

(1)  Copy all the data from ONE disk, say Disk#1, to a backup location [External drive;  another 3TB drive on a PC; etc.]

(2)  Reformat that disk to XFS.

(3)  Copy all data from Disk#2 to Disk#1

(4)  Reformat Disk#2 to XFS.

(5)  Copy all data from Disk#3 to Disk#2

(6)  Reformat Disk#3 to XFS.

... etc.

When you're down to the last disk, copy all the data you backed up in Step #1 to that disk.

I'd do all of the copies with TeraCopy using the validation option.

I don't know what teracopy is but I think it's a windows program. Why would I pull all my data over a wire to a windows box and then push it back over the wire to a different disk on my unraid array?

Why not ssh into you array and use rsync?  Something like:

`rsync -aAW --progress disk2 disk3`

?

Yes, TeraCopy is a Windows program.

You can certainly do it via rsync if you prefer.  There's no real speed advantage, however (assuming your array is parity protected)  ... at Gb speeds you can move the data to/from Windows far faster than the array can write it.

I just prefer to do everything from my clients.