Spin up/down drives

I do not believe that this information is available.

The drives will be spun up any time an attempt is made to access files (or folders) on them.  This is done at the OS level and as far as I know unRAID is not directly aware that this has happened (unless the md driver reports it in some way)..

Since unRAID can obviously detect the spinup/spindown status of a disk as this information is displayed in the GUI, it might be a nice feature if it was possible to request a message was logged when the spinup/spindown status was detected as changed.  This would not necessarily tell you what caused it although the timing might provide a clue.

This is something I would love if it were possible. At the moment I have drives spin up "seemingly randomly" when nothing is really using them or, for example, I will open up my mapped drives to look for something to watch and in the process 3 drives will spin up before anything has even been opened (at the folder level too - no thumbnails or anything). Perhaps I need cache_dirs to mitigate this?

It'd be awesome if there was a way for the syslog to add an entry when a disk is spun up and (if possible) the first file accessed on that disk. This would make diagnosing random spin ups a lot easier.

This is something I would love if it were possible. At the moment I have drives spin up "seemingly randomly" when nothing is really using them or, for example, I will open up my mapped drives to look for something to watch and in the process 3 drives will spin up before anything has even been opened (at the folder level too - no thumbnails or anything). Perhaps I need cache_dirs to mitigate this?

If you do not have cache_dirs installed and these drives are mapped to a user Share then it would be quite normal for all drives potentially involved in the share to be spun up just to read the directory information.  Cache-dirs. is all about not spinning up drives for directory information, but instead only when files on a particular disk are referenced. 

Having said that if you have your system set to display thumbnails then it is highly likely that disks will end up being spun up just to get the information to display the thumbnails.  This will also slow down opening folders.

Since with v6 it so easy to install cache_dirs via the relevant dynamix plugin I am surprised that not everyone does it.  I guess at some point this becomes moot when the relevant capability is integrated into the standard build.

I'm installed unMenu but I don't see the option to in package manager to install inotify.

I try to install manually but ..

-bash: /usr/bin/inotifywait: cannot execute binary file

What I'm doing bad?

Sorry I'm newbie on linux/unRaid.

Thanks for the support guys.

No need for unmenu. I think that is primarily for v5 with 32bit plugins which will cause issues on v6 since its 64bit.

For inotifywait, I think thats part of the NerdPack Plugin, so install that.

unMenu does work with v6, and will only offer to install 64bit pkgs on v6. inotify is not one that has been added to PKG Manager for 64bit.

Nerd Tools does include inotify-tools as you say.

• 1 year later...
On 24/03/2015 at 0:29 AM, BRiT said:

No need for unmenu. I think that is primarily for v5 with 32bit plugins which will cause issues on v6 since its 64bit.

For inotifywait, I think thats part of the NerdPack Plugin, so install that.

Is there a current (6.3+)  best practice for diagnosing spin up issues? I seem to find my HDDs reluctant to sleep and they get too toasty when left on all the time.. plus I can hear something spinning one like crazy which I want to stop!!

2 minutes ago, methanoid said:

Is there a current (6.3+)  best practice for diagnosing spin up issues? I seem to find my HDDs reluctant to sleep and they get too toasty when left on all the time.. plus I can hear something spinning one like crazy which I want to stop!!

File Activity Plugin

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, RobJ said:

That sounds more like a fan than a drive.

I may be dumb but not THAT dumb.. I know what my fans and HDDs sound like.. It was a HDD... I had a look with the Open Files and File Activity plugins.

Now I have silence.. 2 drives spun up.. Both parity drives? WHY? Parity is only updated at 1am or some such hour.

1 minute ago, methanoid said:

Now I have silence.. 2 drives spun up.. Both parity drives? WHY? Parity is only updated at 1am or some such hour.

Parity is updated in real time as writes to the array occur.  Depending upon the circumstance, not all writes go to the cache drive.  As to why they are currently running and not any data drives it could be different spin down times set up...

4 hours ago, methanoid said:

Parity is only updated at 1am or some such hour.

You must have this confused with the cache move schedule. As mentioned, parity is realtime.

Each user share has settings for whether and how it uses cache. The default setting is cache-no. If you created a user share and you didn't change that setting, then all writes to the share would go directly to the parity-protected array, and parity would be written at the same time.

On 14/03/2017 at 8:41 PM, trurl said:

You must have this confused with the cache move schedule. As mentioned, parity is realtime.

Each user share has settings for whether and how it uses cache. The default setting is cache-no. If you created a user share and you didn't change that setting, then all writes to the share would go directly to the parity-protected array, and parity would be written at the same time.

My user share is set to USe Cache Disk=Yes

My Appdata,Domains,System all to UseCacheDisk=ONLY

My ISOs set to No Cache, just Disk 8....

So surely my Parity disks should be idle except when mover runs? its 10am now and they are active but happy if I spin them down.. its as though they forget to spin down