Wireless AC adapter recommendations?

flimflamman

I'd love to hide my UnRAID unit in a closet somewhere and connect it via wifi to my airport extreme router.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a wireless AC adapter? Is this even possible - if so can someone point me to instructions on how to do it? I'm not the most computer savvy but hey I've gotten my UnRAID box built and up and running with the help of the community thus far, much appreciated!

here's my motherboard:  ECS A885GM-A2 (V1.1) AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD

Wireless is a terrible idea for a server.  Use Powerline adapters if you can't run CAT5 cable.  They're very much more reliable than wifi.

Do not use powerline adapters if you're in the US. They don't work as well as wireless due to electrical code requirements on what sort of circuit breakers must be used. Have a look at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com for the details. Here is the axact url on tge issue with breakers: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-basics/31238-slow-homeplug-five-ways-to-boost-powerline-network-speed?start=1

During previous HomePlug AV testing, I discovered an important source of powerline network signal attenuation. In the U.S., the National Electrical Code (NEC) has mandated the use of AFCI (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter) circuit breakers to protect bedroom outlets for new residential construction as of January 1, 2002.

The 2008 NEC expanded the mandated use of AFCI breakers to include hallways, family rooms, closets and many other areas. This isn't effective in all states, yet, but it is coming.

Putting a powerline networking adapter on a circuit protected by an AFCI breaker can easily knock throughput down by 50% or more.

If you can't run cat5 cables but do have coax cables already look at using MOCA adapters.

For wireless devices I'm very happy with my AC1900 R7000 router running DD-WRT. No idea on wireless adapters that unraid supports.

Do not use powerline adapters if you're in the US. They don't work as well as wireless due to electrical code requirements on what sort of circuit breakers must be used.

The US electrical system is a complete mess.  It constantly amazes me how the supposed greatest country in the world has such a terrible electrical system.

• 6 months later...

Let me try to revive this topic.

I'm currently using CAT5E running between my unraid server and my network switch. Since, I'm going to upgrade my Wi-Fi infrastructure by getting the latest AC router, I was wondering if I can use a PCI-ex Wi-Fi adapter such as the one recommended in the previous post:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320173

It's not that I'm trying to substitute my wired connection, I'm only interested in benchmarking and finding out if it would be feasible to utilize AC standard for heavy media files (like 50-60Mbit/s ones).

I'm mostly concerned about slackware support of aforementioned adapter as well as other similar ones.

Using a wireless bridge is just one of the options. I don't see why AC Wi-Fi cannot be used for streaming without utilizing other network devices. So my questions are still the same. Are there drivers in Unraid that will allow me to use PCI-ex Wi-Fi adapters? How to configure Wi-Fi network on Unraid?

Archived