[SOLVED]NFS shares are read-only?

Hi guys,

Setting up my first unRaid box to replace my Slackware NAS (after I destroyed my data with an (unknowingly) aborted MD resize operation :o )

I'm using 6b14 with Pro license.

However, I can't make sense of the NFS export option for user shares...

Both Public and Secure give me:

root@MediaStore:~# exportfs -v
/mnt/user/Media
                <world>(rw,async,wdelay,insecure,root_squash,all_squash,no_subtree_check,fsid=100,anonuid=99,anongid=100,sec=sys,rw,root_squash,all_squash)
/mnt/user/Media
                <world>(ro,async,wdelay,insecure,root_squash,all_squash,no_subtree_check,fsid=100,anonuid=99,anongid=100,sec=sys,ro,root_squash,all_squash)

While private with 192.168.2.2(rw) gives me:

/mnt/user/Media
                192.168.2.2(ro,async,wdelay,insecure,root_squash,all_squash,no_subtree_check,fsid=100,anonuid=99,anongid=100,sec=sys,ro,root_squash,all_squash)

So does this mean to have writable NFS shares, they can only be public? while secure is read-only and private is read-only to specific machines/networks?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I'm assuming for 'Rule' on NFS share settings for Private share you set to "192.168.2.2(rw)" right?

If I look at /etc/exports it appears correct, yet output ouf 'exportfs -v' does indeed show (ro).  Never noticed this before - is there something wrong inside /etc/exports (asking you guys who might know this before I go research what's happening)?

I think I solved it.

I absolutely needed to add (sec=sys)

For a NFS share called Test

rule: empty

/etc/exports:

"/mnt/user/Test" -async,no_subtree_check,fsid=110 

exportfs:

exportfs: No host name given with /mnt/user/Test (ro,async,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,secure_locks,acl,fsid=110,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534,sec=sys,ro,root_squash,no_all_squash), suggest *(ro,async,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,secure_locks,acl,fsid=110,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534,sec=sys,ro,root_squash,no_all_squash) to avoid warning

/mnt/user/Test  <world>(ro,async,wdelay,root_squash,no_subtree_check,fsid=110,sec=sys,ro,root_squash,no_all_squash)

With a rule like:

rule:

192.168.2.0/24(rw)

/etc/exports:

"/mnt/user/Test" -async,no_subtree_check,fsid=110 192.168.2.0/24(rw)

exportfs:

/mnt/user/Test  192.168.2.0/24(ro,async,wdelay,root_squash,no_subtree_check,fsid=110,sec=sys,ro,root_squash,no_all_squash)
/mnt/disk1      <world>(ro,async,wdelay,insecure,root_squash,all_squash,no_subtree_check,fsid=11,anonuid=99,anongid=100,sec=sys,ro,root_squash,all_squash)

the rw does not take effect unless I add sec=sys

Rule:

192.168.2.4(sec=sys,rw)

/etc/exports:

"/mnt/user/Test" -async,no_subtree_check,fsid=110 192.168.2.0/24(sec=sys,rw)

exportfs:

/mnt/user/Test  192.168.2.0/24(rw,async,wdelay,root_squash,no_subtree_check,fsid=110,sec=sys,rw,root_squash,no_all_squash)
/mnt/disk1      <world>(ro,async,wdelay,insecure,root_squash,all_squash,no_subtree_check,fsid=11,anonuid=99,anongid=100,sec=sys,ro,root_squash,all_squash)

Hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Additionally from: http://linux.die.net/man/5/exports

RPCSEC_GSS security

You may use the special strings "gss/krb5", "gss/krb5i", or "gss/krb5p" to restrict access to clients using rpcsec_gss security. However, this syntax is deprecated; on linux kernels since 2.6.23, you should instead use the "sec=" export option:sec=

The sec= option, followed by a colon-delimited list of security flavors, restricts the export to clients using those flavors. Available security flavors include sys (the default--no cryptographic security), krb5 (authentication only), krb5i (integrity protection), and krb5p (privacy protection). For the purposes of security flavor negotiation, order counts: preferred flavors should be listed first. The order of the sec= option with respect to the other options does not matter, unless you want some options to be enforced differently depending on flavor. In that case you may include multiple sec= options, and following options will be enforced only for access using flavors listed in the immediately preceding sec= option. The only options that are permitted to vary in this way are ro, rw, no_root_squash, root_squash, and all_squash.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...