Version 5.0.6 boots fine, beta 6.0 14b does not get IP.

I want Unraid to work so bad due to support for multiple disk sizes,

Not sure what you mean by this - the disk sizes supported by v5 and v6 are the same.

but so far the frustration level is high on beta 6.  Ifconfig shows that I'm not getting an IP on beta 6.0.  5.0.6 works fine on same flash drive, same pc (one nic on mainboard).  Does 6.0 reduce the amount of supported hardware?

The commonest cause for this is multiple Nic's being available and the recognition order changing - but you say you have only one Nic so this cannot be the cause. 

I would suggest that you give details of your motherboard/Nic?  It is possible that v6 does not have drivers for specific hardware - if so identifying them might end up getting them added.  Posting s syslog covering your v6 boot might also help (although you will need a keyboard/monitor on the unRAID system to get at it if the network is not working).

I mean multiple disk sizes in the same array :)

System board is GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard, 1 x Realtek RTL8111E chip (10/100/1000 Mbit).  Disk controller is 16-PORT Int, 6GB/S Sata+sas, Pcie 2.0; In The Box: Lsi Sas 9201-16I, Qig, Driver.

I can see the syslog, but I have no idea how to get it off the server with no network connection.

I can see r8169 gigabit ethernet driver 2.3lk-napi loaded in syslog.

AHHA:  right after executing dhcpcd-run-hook I see

Kernel: r8169 0000:06:00.0 eth0: link down

Link doesn't look down to me, I see link lights and got an IP on 5.0.6 just fine.

A bit further down I see eth0: sending DISCOVER

and

eth0: link up

quite a few of these.  But still no IP.

I am still confused - I have a mixture of disk sizes in my unRAID array.  Allowing mixed disk sizes is one of the features of unRAID.

I can see the syslog, but I have no idea how to get it off the server with no network connection.

Easiest way would be to log in at the console and run a  command like

cp /var/log/syslog /boot

to put a copy on the flash drive.  That can then be moved to a PC/Mac to get it off.

I am still confused - I have a mixture of disk sizes in my unRAID array.  Allowing mixed disk sizes is one of the features of unRAID.

Easiest way would be to log in at the console and run a  command like

cp /var/log/syslog /boot

to put a copy on the flash drive.  That can then be moved to a PC/Mac to get it off.

Yea, I wasn't thinking that version 5 didn't support multiple disk sizes, just that I wanted to confirm my hardware can support the latest versions before I drop $100+ bucks on it :)

I just tried a static IP, but that doesn't look right as ifconfig isn't showing the same netmask as I have in network.cfg.  I got the syslog to come off though, thanks for your help btw!

syslog.txt

just that I wanted to confirm my hardware can support the latest versions before I drop $100+ bucks on it :)
Version 5.06 is the latest released version as of right now. (March 2015)

Version 6 is still in beta and subject to change, possibly fairly major change. If your NIC doesn't work in the current beta, it would be helpful to submit that as a defect report, but I wouldn't run 6 on a production array.

Realtek NIC's have always been hit or miss, you would be better served to get an intel NIC instead of fighting with a Realtek if at all possible.