Upgrading unRAID from Version 5 to Version 6

So if I get this correctly, if you run a plain vanilla Unraid v5 server (without any packages) and want to upgrade to v6, all you need to do is reformat the flash disk and install v6 onto it, and next assign the disks to the correct slots (with extra attention to parity and cache) and everything should be peachy?

So if I get this correctly, if you run a plain vanilla Unraid v5 server (without any packages) and want to upgrade to v6, all you need to do is reformat the flash disk and install v6 onto it, and next assign the disks to the correct slots (with extra attention to parity and cache) and everything should be peachy?

If you do that you should have a running array!

Things you might then want to check for:

• If User Shares are enabled then every top level folder on the disks will have a corresponding User share automatically created with default settings.    You might want to check the default settings are what you want.
  • Any user settings will need setting up again if you need anything other than unrestricted access to shares.
  • You need to decide if you are going to switch on various optional items under Settings such as Docker, VM and UPS support.

Yes, that's exactly right.  As itimpi noted, you may then want to confirm the settings on your shares are the way you want them, but if you have a "plain vanilla" setup, it should be as simple as you've noted  :)

Since I would be upgrading with everything "fresh" so to speak, should I make any changes to a jumpered WD20EARS drive that I have?

If you remove the jumper on the HDD, you need to reformat the drive and consequently loose all data.

Performance wise it doesn't matter whether the jumper is used or not.

Since I would be upgrading with everything "fresh" so to speak, should I make any changes to a jumpered WD20EARS drive that I have?

If you remove the jumper on the HDD, you need to reformat the drive and consequently loose all data.

I will be reformating in XFS anyway... I am just wondering if I will need to watch out for anything in the setting up of the new unraid 6 server, 4k alignment or something?!?

Just want to be 100% sure this weekend.

Thanks.

I will be reformating in XFS anyway... I am just wondering if I will need to watch out for anything in the setting up of the new unraid 6 server, 4k alignment or something?!?

Thanks.

The default partition format is set to MBR 4K-aligned (unless you have changed it), if you remove the jumper and reformat the disk, it will be done with the correct setting.

So to be clear, I should remove the jumper and then reformat in XFS for Unraid 6?

Thanks.

Thanks.

The default partition format is set to MBR 4K-aligned (unless you have changed it), if you remove the jumper and reformat the disk, it will be done with the correct setting.

Sorry for all the questions, but what was the original reasoning for needing the jumper on WD EARS drives, something to do with Unraid not supporting advanced format drives right?  So now Unraid 6 supports these larger drives, I can remove the jumper, use the default 4k-alignment... do I need to preclear again, or will a simple reformat in XFS take care of things?

Edit: I've noticed on my old Unraid 5 server, the alignment was set to "unaligned" (with the jumper).

Thanks once again.

disk_1_settings.png.f38d82e7078236056231e71479df56ee.png

Sorry for all the questions, but what was the original reasoning for needing the jumper on WD EARS drives, something to do with Unraid not supporting advanced format drives right?  So now Unraid 6 supports these larger drives, I can remove the jumper, use the default 4k-alignment... do I need to preclear again, or will a simple reformat in XFS take care of things?

Edit: I've noticed on my old Unraid 5 server, the alignment was set to "unaligned" (with the jumper).

It is correct that WITH the jumper the setting is "unaligned", you need to change that to "4K aligned" WITHOUT the jumper. It suffice to do a reformat in XFS, no need for preclear.

Update on this.  I just whipped the jumper off and chucked the WD20EARS in to my Unraid 6 build.

I am seeing a partition format as "unknown" and no way to set aligned or not (see pic).

I'm guessing this is all in order and I can go ahead and reformat as XFS.  If necessary, will Unraid 5 then read this disk ok later on - assuming I reformat as ReiserFS?

Thanks.

Screenshot_26.png.e6837e63110c9b7007bff307d3f40747.png

If necessary, will Unraid 5 then read this disk ok later on - assuming I reformat as ReiserFS?

Thanks.

Unclear what you mean by reading the disk, the current contents will be completely erased. Any new content should be able to be read by unRaid V5 as long as it is written to a ReiserFS file system, regardless of partition alignment. Switching partition locations (jumper or alignment) or changing FS from XFS to Reiser will erase current content.

Yeah I guess my question is, whether removing the jumper will somehow change the firmware permanently, or if I can simply replace the jumper and reformat in ReiserFS should I ever need to put the drive back in to an Unraid 5 server.

Suggest you read the first post in this thread and the discussion that follows:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9936.0

And here: 

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Advanced_Format_Drives

Yeah I guess my question is, whether removing the jumper will somehow change the firmware permanently, or if I can simply replace the jumper and reformat in ReiserFS should I ever need to put the drive back in to an Unraid 5 server.

If you want to remove the jumper there's no problem doing so, and you'll never need to replace it as long as you're using v5 or later.    HOWEVER ... once you remove it you need to reformat the drive and all data will be lost => so be sure there's no data on the drive before you do this.  In addition, you'll need to recompute parity (either with a new parity sync or just running a parity check (which will correct a LOT of "errors").

Hello

I am having hard time figuring out the license cost for upgrading from 5 to 6.

I currently have 2-key Pro license for version 5. How much would it be to get the Plus edition of v6 ? Do I pay full price $89 x 2 for two keys or is there some discount for upgrading from v5?

thanks

Hello

I currently have 2-key Pro license for version 5. How much would it be to get the Plus edition of v6 ? Do I pay full price $89 x 2 for two keys or is there some discount for upgrading from v5?

thanks

The keys you already have are valid for any version of unRAID so no cost for re-using them with v6

If you want additional keys then the price is as on the web site.

Hello

thanks

No cost.  Any previously purchased license will active unRAID ver 6.0.0. with the current privileges for that license version.  You must now put the .key file in the /config folder and it must be the only .key file in there!  You, of course, have to use the Flash Drive that the .key file is registered with!

You must now put the .key file in the /config folder and it must be the only .key file in there!  You, of course, have to use the Flash Drive that the .key file is registered with!

I'm hearing multiple conflicting opinions on whether the key file must be the only one. Pretty sure I saw somewhere in the V6 development that you could put all your owned keys in the config folder, and unraid would find and use the one that matched the current flash GUID. I haven't tried it, but it would be good to find out for sure.