Release: Tonido Server

By default Tonido runs in "hosted" mode, which has the advantage that you do not need to open any port on your firewall to allow remote connections. This however brings in a matter of trust, since the Tonido site itself acts as the mediator to establish connections.

It is possible to change the mode of operation and let incoming connections go directly, but this requires to open up the necessary port on the firewall and of course direct reachability to your server.

I am using the mobile app frequently to access my music collection while outside, there is a built-in media player which allows to play music and video.

By default Tonido runs in "hosted" mode, which has the advantage that you do not need to open any port on your firewall to allow remote connections. This however brings in a matter of trust, since the Tonido site itself acts as the mediator to establish connections.

That's a huge plus for me. I've no doubt the tonidoid domain security is probably a bit sketchy, but it's infinitely better than having your home server show up on Shodan.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Capt.Insano said:

Hi lads,

So sorry for the delay on this I have not been around and am only seeing this now. I am away this weekend but I have set a reminder to update this docker next week.

Sorry again,

The Capt.

Scratch that,

Container is now updated to latest Tonido version! (tested on my server and running well here)

The Capt.

Hi!

I just installed the latest docker container on unRAID 6.3.3

When i enter my name etc in the web interface of tonido i get the following 

Failed to Create ID. Check if you are connect to the Internet

any idea?

Usually none of my container does have a problem with connection to the internet. 

Thx!

b0mb

• 7 months later...

Is there a way with this app to limit the folders or shares that are made available to DLNA, and for "over the web" access?  Can they be controlled separately?

I haven't installed yet but if there was a way to control this it wasn't readily apparent from the information I looked at, and I didn't see a host path that looked like it controlled or designated this.

Thanks for any help.

• 1 month later...

I am very new to Unraid.  My friend has been helping me and he set up Tonido for me.  Works great but I can't play audio or videos remotely or from the computer.  It says Plugin not found.  Audio disabled.  Is it possible to play audio or video? Not sure if there is a plugin that I am missing or if this is not something that can be done.

Thank you in advance for any help.

• 7 months later...
On 5/10/2017 at 8:22 PM, b0mb said:

Hi!

I just installed the latest docker container on unRAID 6.3.3

When i enter my name etc in the web interface of tonido i get the following 

any idea?

Usually none of my container does have a problem with connection to the internet. 

Thx!

b0mb

Having the same issue, its able to check user name if it exist, but not able to create...anyone?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I just started using this and I'm looking to possible use it as a replacement for nextcloud. I see by default pictures go to the config/profiles inside appdata. 

Can this be moved without affecting anything the functionality of the app. I'm planning in setting a share for this and possibly create guest users. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I have the following problem:

When people up- or download files with guest-accounts (via web browser) the up- and downloads will stop after several 100MB and/or several GB. There is no particular pattern when it will stop. The first day after installing the docker, it worked fine. The second day, I activated the index-service within the docker. After that the up-/downloads were unstable. I deactivated the index-service, but no improvement. Then I deleted the .tonidodb in every directory. After that, it worked better. Now it takes longer till an up-/download aborts, but still it has problems.

Does anyone have the same problem? (I hoped to replace nextcloud and swag because this combination has a problem with filling up the docker image.)

Thanks in advance.

¿RIDDLER?

• 2 months later...

For me the main problem was the download speed while using the integrated Relay service.

I would get really slow download speeds (1-3 MB/s).

I decided to use a reverse proxy and disable the Relay service.

Took me a bit of time to figure out as I am still new to all this, so I'll just leave what I did here in case it helps someone.

1. First I followed SpaceInvaderOne's guide on setting up Letsencrypt/Swag (easily found on youtube). You should then already have a custom network type called "proxynet".

2. Create a CNAME on your DNS provider with your desired subdomain name. You can use "tonido" for simplicity.

3. You then need a .conf file for Letsencrypt/Swag to use with tonido. The Swag container already offers a lot of premade configs, but none for Tonido, so here is what I used. The only things you could need to change are "server_name tonido.*;" in case you wanted to use a funky subdomain name. Also, for the line "set $upstream_app Tonido;" if you changed to docker container name, this is where you input the modified docker container name.

server {
    listen 443 ssl;
    listen [::]:443 ssl;

server_name tonido.*;

include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;

client_max_body_size 0;

location / {
        include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
        resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
        set $upstream_app Tonido;
        set $upstream_port 10001;
        set $upstream_proto http;
        proxy_pass $upstream_proto://$upstream_app:$upstream_port;

}
}

Afterwards, you can save that config file and name it something recognizable, for example "tonido.subdomain.conf"

Simply save the config file in /mnt/user/appdata/swag/nginx/proxy-confs

4. Modify your swag container and add your new subdomain at the line "Subdomain(s)".

5. Finally, open your tonido WebUI, go to Settings/Network, uncheck "Enable Relay" and uncheck "Enable WAN to LAN re-direct".

6. You should be good to go; your tonido instance should be accessible through your subdomain with blazing fast download speeds.

As I said, this was done through trial and error, so if anyone has a better way to do or some suggestions, feel free!

Edited by gustomucho
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/10/2021 at 8:23 AM, gustomucho said:

For me the main problem was the download speed while using the integrated Relay service.

I would get really slow download speeds (1-3 MB/s).

I decided to use a reverse proxy and disable the Relay service.

Took me a bit of time to figure out as I am still new to all this, so I'll just leave what I did here in case it helps someone.

1. First I followed SpaceInvaderOne's guide on setting up Letsencrypt/Swag (easily found on youtube). You should then already have a custom network type called "proxynet".

2. Create a CNAME on your DNS provider with your desired subdomain name. You can use "tonido" for simplicity.

3. You then need a .conf file for Letsencrypt/Swag to use with tonido. The Swag container already offers a lot of premade configs, but none for Tonido, so here is what I used. The only things you could need to change are "server_name tonido.*;" in case you wanted to use a funky subdomain name. Also, for the line "set $upstream_app Tonido;" if you changed to docker container name, this is where you input the modified docker container name.

server {
    listen 443 ssl;
    listen [::]:443 ssl;

server_name tonido.*;

include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;

client_max_body_size 0;

location / {
        include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
        resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
        set $upstream_app Tonido;
        set $upstream_port 10001;
        set $upstream_proto http;
        proxy_pass $upstream_proto://$upstream_app:$upstream_port;

}
}

Afterwards, you can save that config file and name it something recognizable, for example "tonido.subdomain.conf"

Simply save the config file in /mnt/user/appdata/swag/nginx/proxy-confs

4. Modify your swag container and add your new subdomain at the line "Subdomain(s)".

5. Finally, open your tonido WebUI, go to Settings/Network, uncheck "Enable Relay" and uncheck "Enable WAN to LAN re-direct".

6. You should be good to go; your tonido instance should be accessible through your subdomain with blazing fast download speeds.

As I said, this was done through trial and error, so if anyone has a better way to do or some suggestions, feel free!

Just a quick note to say thank you for this!  I've been having nothing but trouble with Nextcloud's file sharing function (all I used Nextcloud for) and your instructions above allowed me to set up Tonido in just a few minutes and stop beating my head on the brick wall that is Nextcloud.

Perfect!!

Edited by rwarren873
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 5:01 PM, nraygun said:

Does this Tonido container use the log4j component that is causing a big stir these days?

One more thing. In looking into the container with a scanning service, it appears there are many old components with security issues. Some are rated quite high (8+).

Any chance of getting this container updated to mitigate some of the other security problems? I don't think it has log4j.

I ran it through a service called Trivy and here are the results:

https://try.trivy.dev/results/WWb1fHWnSYWfGeMvSHPXV3RE

Edited by nraygun
  • 1 year later...