ZipZoomFly: WD 1 TB Black Edition: $59.99 after rebates, free shipping

cepler

You getting a cut of these eBillMe rebates?  ;)

?

This is the first deal I've posted, I posted a reply on the other one that was ebillme but was just browsing around and saw this...fed up with newegg's oem drive shipping and looking for alternatives, was happy to hear that ZipZoomFly was using foam sleeves for their OEM drives.

This is the first deal I've posted, I posted a reply on the other one that was ebillme but was just browsing around and saw this...fed up with newegg's oem drive shipping and looking for alternatives, was happy to hear that ZipZoomFly was using foam sleeves for their OEM drives.

Just seemed several people were posting about eBillMe.  I went to their site and looked at the service.  Seems PayPal-ish, but a little different.  I would consider using it.

But I HATE mail in rebates.  Especially when you have to do multiple ones for the same product.  And some of the newer schemes are getting convoluted.  Their whole goal is to make collecting the rebate such a PITA that you just won't bother.  You have to wait to file until after you have "burned in" the product because returning a product to the store with the UPC removed is not normally allowed.  You have to keep the receipt and the packaging (UPC) for weeks and remember at the end of that to file.  Then you wait months to get the rebate check, which when remitted can easily get confused with junk mail.  And remember to deposit it.  And if they don't send you the check, you have to try and contact them which can also be a PITA.  And then there's that sinking feeling you get when realize you forgot to file for the rebate and flushed $10 down the toilet.  All in all, I'd much rather get 10% off than a 20% rebate!  No paperwork, no hassle, no guilt!

I am very happy that most if not all of neweggs drive deals are discounts / instant rebates, and not MIR.  Also, when they quote their prices, they also do it WITHOUT rebate value applied, and then show you in small print the value after MIR.  And their pre-rebate prices on the vast majority of products (hard disks and others) beat the other guys AFTER rebate pricing.

Although I agree that newegg's packaging of OEM drives could be better, I still would rank it in the acceptable range.  I've never had one come that I felt was so underpackaged that I feared the drive would be broken when I went to use it.  So long as they keep providing great prices, not making me file for MIR, and provide excellent service when I have a problem (which they do), they are going to continue to get most of my computer business.

Archived