Problem stopping array - Retry unmounting user share(s)

This has occurred before but I have grown impatient and forced it to shut-down by holding the power button.

I am running 5.0.6 on a Microserver, no plugins or anything special with the exception of Unmenu. 

After trying to stop the array it gets stuck at 'Retry unmounting user share(s)'.  Attached is my syslog.  I have searched for similar problems and although found the same error the resolutions did not work.

Running lsof | grep mnt returns nothing.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose what is causing this so I can stop it happening on every shutdown would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

syslog-2015-04-03.zip

Have you tried logging in via telnet and following the suggestions in the syslog?  It is saying that something is still using /mnt/user and if you have a look you might be able to work out what it is.

Yeah, as above nothing returned by lsof, assuming fuser /mnt is the correct way to run that returns nothing either.

Also, if you do have a telnet or console session with the current directory on the array, it won't be able to unmount either.

I have nothing open I am aware of, and wouldn't that report as something being open via lsof or fuser?

Also, if you do have a telnet or console session with the current directory on the array, it won't be able to unmount either.

Also a screen session can cause this - easy to forget they might still be hanging around :)

Yup, have done this many times before so first thing I do is exit any screen sessions before trying to shutdown now :)

I gave up in the end and pulled the power.

I had tried the provided powerdown script.  After this the webgui could not be accessed although telnet was still available.

Next boot it did not require a parity check so can only assume that the script did most of the job cleanly

Would be great to have some more ideas here, not being able to shutdown the server cleanly and at will is an issue.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I occasionally get this error.  Once you power down your server pull the unraid usb stick and put it in a windows PC.  Windows will detect errors and ask you to scan it.  Let windows scan the usb and fix the errors.  Eject the usb and put it back in your server.  This has always fixed it for me. 

• 10 months later...

Also a screen session can cause this - easy to forget they might still be hanging around :)

waited an hour until googling this. Found this post. Damn screen sessions  ;D thanks for the tip

• 3 months later...

IF you are sure nothing important has a share mounted (which could be anything, stuck session that is no longer, etc).  I just ssh to my unRAID server and execute:

ps -ef | grep /mnt/user

I then take the PID and perform a graceful kill (I've only had to do kill -9 once)

kill <PID>

as soon as all mounts in the process go away, your array stopping will be successful.

• Like 6
  • 1 year later...
On 4/3/2015 at 2:46 PM, itimpi said:

Apologies for necro, but big thanks for this, it has happened to me several times and only now I realized that I have one of those sessions running!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This just started happening to me. I have looked at the syslog and the diagnostics. Something is preventing Unraid from umounting disk 13 and the cache. The cache is a pool of 4 disks configured in RAID10. I can shutdown and reboot the array but when I try to stop the array it gets stuck posting "Retry Unmounting disk share(s)" at the bottom. This forces me to refresh the web gui so the reboot button will light up. There is an issue with the libvirt img. Sometimes when I restart the array "starting services Libvirtwol..." appears and doesn't go away. I am only running one Win10 VM. Same machine with no changes for a while now. I think something with the VM is holding up the shutdown process. But with services stopped, how? I've been using Unraid long enough to know that I am not sophisticated enough to figurine out what it is. Thank you in advance. 

pisa-diagnostics-20210216-1218.zip pisa-syslog-20210216-2018.zip

Since the VM is still running, that would be the prime candidate

Windows isn't great because half the time it decides to pop up a window telling you it can't shut down for such and such reason.  Best to set the VM in Settings - VM Settings to hibernate and install the virtio guest tool on the VM (its on the virtio ISO disk)

• 4 months later...
On 2/1/2017 at 9:47 AM, ChrisMChristian said:

IF you are sure nothing important has a share mounted (which could be anything, stuck session that is no longer, etc).  I just ssh to my unRAID server and execute:

ps -ef | grep /mnt/user

I then take the PID and perform a graceful kill (I've only had to do kill -9 once)

kill <PID>

as soon as all mounts in the process go away, your array stopping will be successful.

This solved it for me. Thank you!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/1/2017 at 9:47 AM, ChrisMChristian said:

ps -ef | grep /mnt/user

kill <PID>

Just had this issue on 6.11.5 - Basically it was a user script for me to delete .dstore dangling files. Killed that process and clean shutdown using the above process kill steps

• Thanks 1