Boot failed: Failed to load ldlinux.c32 - HELP!!

hello.

i decide to install unraid OS for NAS server, after alot of thoughts.

i bought Cruzer Fit™ USB Flash Drive 16GB, and download the unraid 6 ver.

i follow the instruction (from win 7) and when i put and reboot the computer to instal the unraid from DOK i get "Boot failed: Failed to load ldlinux.c32"

i try to format several times the DOK - fat 32

i follow some solution that i read here but still the same problem,

help!!

thanks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

personally i would re-download unRAID V6, as in the past i've had bad downloads.

delete the contents and put the new download on the USB stick, then run make_bootable. Did you run it as administrator?

If using Windows (XP/Vista/Win7)

--------------------------------

1. Plug your USB Flash device into your Windows PC.

2. Open 'My Computer' (XP) or 'Computer' (Vista/Win7) and right-click your Flash device. Click 'Format...',

set the volume label to UNRAID and then click 'Start'. Important: the volume label must be set exactly

to UNRAID (all caps).

3. Click on your Flash device (to open it), click on the zip file (to open it) and drag then entire contents of

the unRAID Server zip file to the Flash.

4. For Windows XP, click on the file 'make_bootable'.  A DOS window will open and run the 'syslinux' utility on the

Flash.  For Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the file 'make_bootable' and select 'Run as administrator'.

The 'syslinux' utility will write the Master Boot Record and create a small hidden file named 'ldlinux.sys' on

the Flash device, making it bootable.

5. Once again, right-click your Flash device in 'My Computer' or 'Computer' and then click 'Eject'.  Your USB Flash

device is now ready to boot into unRAID Server OS.

size : 119KB (122,308 bytes)

size on disk : 120KB (122,880 bytes)

Well, you should have found TWO files named "ldlinux.c32" on your flash drive.  One in the root of the drive and the other in the folder "syslinux".

I am going to ask what appears to be a stupid question!  You did drag the contents of the downloaded file (unRAIDServer-6.0-beta14b-x86_64,zip) to the flash drive and NOT the downloaded file itself?  (It has happened several times in the past.  That downloaded zip file is a container for the unRAID OS. This container has to be opened and the contents (files and folders) copied to the Flash Drive. )

hey Frank

i have one file with this name (the size is what  i see when i see his properties)

i download the RAR file to my desktop. than i unrar it to the flash drive (after format)

than from the flash drive i run the file make_bootable.bat (run as administrator)

like the guide..

the download file in the computer, no on the flashdrive

hey Frank

i have one file with this name (the size is what  i see when i see his properties)

i download the RAR file to my desktop. than i unrar it to the flash drive (after format)

than from the flash drive i run the file make_bootable.bat (run as administrator)

like the guide..

the download file in the computer, no on the flashdrive

You should have two files with that name on the Flash Drive!!!!  My best guess is that something did not work right when you run make_bootable.  Is the Flash Drive named  "UNRAID"? 

Looking at the batch file, you should get a message of 'Complete' when it is done, did you get that?

yes and yes.

also i try to do it from two separate computers.

i can aslo try to do it from mac.

file names:

folder-  config (share.cfg,network.cfg,ident.cfg,go,disk.cfg, and empty "plugins" folder)

folder - syslinux (ldlinux.c32,libcom32.c32,libutil.c32,make_bootable_mac.sh,mboot.c32,mbr.bin,menu.c32,syslinux,syslinux.cfg,syslinux.cfg-,syslinux.exe)

bzroot

bzimage

make_bootable.bat

make_bootable_mac

license.txt

memtest

readme.txt

ubnfilel.txt

ubnpathl.txt

xen

yes and yes.

also i try to do it from two separate computers.

i can aslo try to do it from mac.

file names:

folder-  config (share.cfg,network.cfg,ident.cfg,go,disk.cfg, and empty "plugins" folder)

folder - syslinux (ldlinux.c32,libcom32.c32,libutil.c32,make_bootable_mac.sh,mboot.c32,mbr.bin,menu.c32,syslinux,syslinux.cfg,syslinux.cfg-,syslinux.exe)

bzroot

bzimage

make_bootable.bat

make_bootable_mac

license.txt

memtest

readme.txt

ubnfilel.txt

ubnpathl.txt

xen

These are the files that are in the root directory/folder on my Flash drive.

bzimage 

ldlinux.c32

memtest

bzroot

ldlinux.sys

make_bootable.bat   

xen

license.txt

make_bootable_mac

readme.txt

Note that I have two files that you do not have--- ldlinux.c32 and ldlinux.sys.  (If you are getting the names from Windows, the .sys file be not be visible as system files are hidden by default.)  The two .txt files I would not be concerned about as they should be exactly that. 

Your description seems to indicate that everything is happening properly.  One thing to try is a chkdsk on the Flash drive to make sure that it did not get corrupted in some way.  Other than that, I have no more suggestions for you.

bzimage 

ldlinux.c32

memtest

bzroot

ldlinux.sys

make_bootable.bat   

xen

license.txt

make_bootable_mac

readme.txt

Note that I have two files that you do not have--- ldlinux.c32 and ldlinux.sys.  (If you are getting the names from Windows, the .sys file be not be visible as system files are hidden by default.)  The two .txt files I would not be concerned about as they should be exactly that. 

I suspect those extra files might be remnants from a previous version of unRAID before syslinux related files were moved to the syslinux folder?  I certainly do not have them on my v6 system which is booting fine without them.

bzimage 

ldlinux.c32

memtest

bzroot

ldlinux.sys

make_bootable.bat   

xen

license.txt

make_bootable_mac

readme.txt

I suspect those extra files might be remnants from a previous version of unRAID before syslinux related files were moved to the syslinux folder?  I certainly do not have them on my v6 system which is booting fine without them.

I don't think that was the case as I thought I had reformatted that Flash drive before I started the install.  I also checked the file dates and it created on about the same day and time as I installed unRAID on that drive.  I have no clue as to why you and the OP, and I have different files on our drives.  I think later today, I will take a virgin Flash drive and install unRAID to see what I get!

bzimage 

ldlinux.c32

memtest

bzroot

ldlinux.sys

make_bootable.bat   

xen

license.txt

make_bootable_mac

readme.txt

I have the same as Frank.  The ldlinux.c32 in my syslinux folder is dated 2015-02-25 (for v6.0-beta14b).  The ldlinux.c32 and ldlinux.sys in the root are dated 2015-03-09, which I believe is when I ran make_bootable.

itimpi, is it possible that you haven't run make_bootable in a while, not since you moved the files to the syslinux folder?

I suspect that make_bootable may not have worked.  Specifically, syslinux.exe may have failed.  Try running it again, with 'Run as Administrator', and check for errors when it pauses after running syslinux.exe.

I just installed unRAID on a virgin Flash drive (in fact, it arrived in the mail today).  The disk was formatted as Fat32 and the files copied over.  After running the Make_Bootable batch file, both ldlinux.c32 and ldlinux.sys were created in the root of the drive when the batch file ran.  The resulting Flash drive did boot. 

I just installed unRAID on a virgin Flash drive (in fact, it arrived in the mail today).  The disk was formatted as Fat32 and the files copied over.  After running the Make_Bootable batch file, both ldlinux.c32 and ldlinux.sys were created in the root of the drive when the batch file ran.  The resulting Flash drive did boot.

I remember about a year ago I ran into a similar issue where I couldn't get unRaid to boot from a flash drive that ubuntu would no problems.  I tried everything that I could find online on how to reset the flash drive's MBR back to default and nothing would work.

I finally downloaded "ActiveBootDisk", had it make the flash into a bootable DOS stick, and then I could install unRaid and boot from it no problems.

its a new from box the DOK.

i also did a error check...format again

also same problem...

I admit that I am stumped at this point.  The last thing to try is to run the Mac makebootable file on a Mac.  (You indicated the you had a Mac.)  One other thing is that your antivirus software is interfering with the process.  (The Make_Bootable file does write to the Masterboot record and that is something that the bad guys often do so the antivirus software could be killing the process before it finishes successfully.)

Edit: One final thought.  Just copy the file  ldlinux.c32  from the syslinix folder/directory to the root of the Flash drive.  They are both the same size right down to the last byte on my Flash Drive!  (I seem to dimly recall the the new location of the system files was changed in the past to the syslinux directory and there were some issues with some folks unable to boot because some issue with the bootloading program. And there most be some reason why the same identical file is in two different locations!)

so from mac - still didnt work

i canceled the protection, try - didnt work

i copy from the rar file the file to the main root on the flash drive - stil not work.

maybe its something the relate to this computer (that i try to instal on him?)

OK, have you tried to to boot that flash drive on another computer? 

Is the USB port that you are plugging into an USB3 port?  (Sometimes USB3 ports start out as USB2 ports and change during the boot process to USB3 ports and their designations change.)  Try all of the USB ports on that computer to see if it makes a difference.