unRAID Does Not See SATA Card (Marvell Chipset)

Just got a 4 port expansion card to add to my unRAID Setup, UGT-ST644R (http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/578)

I have 1 4TB Toshiba drive hooked up to it, and I can see it in the BIOS no problem (card BIOS and mobo BIOS).  However, unRAID can not see it :(.

Tried a different port and SATA cable, no dice.

Full syslog attached.

My guess it has something to do with this? I have a few of these lines that repeat:

Apr  4 00:04:19 unRaid kernel: ata11: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

syslog.txt

Just got a 4 port expansion card to add to my unRAID Setup, UGT-ST644R (http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/578)

I have 1 4TB Toshiba drive hooked up to it, and I can see it in the BIOS no problem (card BIOS and mobo BIOS).  However, unRAID can not see it :(.

Full syslog attached.

My guess it has something to do with this? I have a few of these lines that repeat:

Thanks

Were you trying a different port on the same card or on the mobo?  Could your power supply not be up to snuff?

Also, it looks like your BIOS is set up for IDE mode  You've got 2 drives that are being set to UDMA33 due to a 40 pin cable.  A quick google search says that the drives are both SATA.  You should switch those ports to be AHCI to really get the best performance out of them.

Full syslog attached.

Thanks

Were you trying a different port on the same card or on the mobo?  Could your power supply not be up to snuff?

Also, it looks like your BIOS is set up for IDE mode  You've got 2 drives that are being set to UDMA33 due to a 40 pin cable.  A quick google search says that the drives are both SATA.  You should switch those ports to be AHCI to really get the best performance out of them.

Different port and different cable on the SATA card. I don't think its the PSU, its a 700W antec or something, but j can get the specifics. I have never had a problem with it before.

I had a feeling about the ide mode. That's ports 7 and 8 on my motherboard. I reset the CMOS trying to fix the above mentioned problem and I guess I forgot to put it back to AHCI. Thanks for pointing this out.

Different port and different cable on the SATA card. I don't think its the PSU, its a 700W antec or something, but j can get the specifics. I have never had a problem with it before.

Try it on the mobo and one of your 2tB on the card.

You might also want to double check that the jumpers on the card (to switch the ports from internal to external) are all set correctly

You might also want to double check that the jumpers on the card (to switch the ports from internal to external) are all set correctly

Err, this is getting to be troublesome. I think I will have to return the card.

BTW, I was mistaken, it is a CoolerMaster PSU (http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/gx-series/gx-750w/)

Swapped one of the drives from the mobo to the controller card. Now the new drive is detected from the motherboard, but the old drive is not (old drive in controller card)

New syslog attached.

I also tried a different PCI-E slot, different controller card port and different cable. I am getting the feeling that unRAID does not support this card whatsoever

I also checked, my motherboard is showing ACHI for all 8 SATA ports, so not too sure why it is being detected as IDE.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

syslog.txt

unRaid is seeing the card.  Otherwise you wouldn't be getting those errors in the syslog

Its one of two things:

- Either the card is defective,

- The driver included for Marvel's chipset isn't properly recognizing the card for some reason.

I would also swap it out for a different card.  Maybe post up what you're looking at buying before you do and see if any

Err, this is getting to be troublesome. I think I will have to return the card.

BTW, I was mistaken, it is a CoolerMaster PSU (http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/gx-series/gx-750w/)

Swapped one of the drives from the mobo to the controller card. Now the new drive is detected from the motherboard, but the old drive is not (old drive in controller card)

New syslog attached.

I also tried a different PCI-E slot, different controller card port and different cable. I am getting the feeling that unRAID does not support this card whatsoever

I also checked, my motherboard is showing ACHI for all 8 SATA ports, so not too sure why it is being detected as IDE.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

unRaid is seeing the card.  Otherwise you wouldn't be getting those errors in the syslog

Its one of two things:

- Either the card is defective,

- The driver included for Marvel's chipset isn't properly recognizing the card for some reason.

I would also swap it out for a different card.  Maybe post up what you're looking at buying before you do and see if any other users out here are using it.

I gave up. Returning the card to Amazon.

Can you recommended me a PCIe card with at least 4 SATA ports? around the same price point ($50)? I looked in the "What SATA Card To Buy" thread, but the 4 port ones were outdated and not sold on Newegg anymore.

Thank you for all of your help Squid.